Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Technical

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lawman, Feb 13, 2016.

1. lawman

lawman

Can anyone recommend the best electric fuel pump for a SBC 355 with twin 500 cfm
    Edelbrock carbs? Hoping the pump will help start the car better after a long period of time sitting in the shop.Using a mechanical pump now and I'm afraid of washing down the cylinders trying to start the motor. Thanks in advance for your time and talent !

2. squirrel

squirrel

Not quite sure I understand the question....if the carbs dry out from sitting, and you try to start it with no fuel in the carbs, it will not have any fuel to wash the cylinder walls with, will it?

Anyways, there are several pumps that would work....which one is best might depend on your preferences for noise, appearance, cost, extra plumbing for an external pressure regulator, etc.

3. lawman

lawman

Thanks for the reply fellow. Have always had trouble starting this motor because of flooding after setting a long time. Have a manual choke and external fuel pressure regulator. These carbs seem to flood rather easy.Have set the floats and timing several times. I want to mount an electric pump under the car (57 Chevy)above the tank and noise is not an issue.Cost is the only issue as I don't want over kill !! LoL

4. I don't think an electric pump will cure the cause of the flooding condition and it may just cause it to happen sooner. We need to know a little more about your carb set up and whether you are having trouble lighting the fire due to weak spark or possible timing issues.

5. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Agreed, you don't want an electric pump. You need the carbs set to operate better?

6. lawman

lawman

I believe you fellows are right ! Will look into the weak spark and carb settings ! Thanks again.

7. Flooding = too much fuel
    And
    Additional fuel pump will not cure the problem.

Most likely your issue is fuel evaporation out of the bowls and the carbs are dry. A splash of fuel in the carbs throat will get it going without excessive cranking.

Adding a fuel pump to prime the carbs is over kill. It will only and always happen in your garage

upspirate likes this.
  8. blackanblue

blackanblue

355 underdrive 871 2 4,s holley blue, check valve in the secondary filter, no choke, ignition on two three pumps after sitting, fire and feather to get to operating temp, flooding may be carb or regulator problem you do have a regulator right.

9. lawman

lawman

Turned out to be a bad coil !!! Fires up great now with 50000 volts ! Thanks folks for all of the posts.

hrm2k likes this.
  10. You know, coil issues are greater than ever. I know at least one or two posts GMC Bubba has done about the quality or lack quality of coils and condensers

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    lawman likes this.
  11. upspirate

upspirate

Mine has problems starting after sitting for a while....have to turn over quite a while to fill Edlebrock carb.
    I thought about an electric pump just to fill the carb as it's a pain to remove the hood to get the air filter off and prime the carb.
    Best way to solve would be to drive every few days!!;)

lawman likes this.
  12. lawman

lawman

I installed a "Proform" under the cap coil. "Dizzy" was $89.00 from Summitt about 8 years ago. Coil was $31.99 at Autozone. Very easy to do. Coil only had about 2700 miles on it so "go figure" ! The coil is made here in the USA if that means anything now ! Lol