Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by catman, Mar 1, 2006.

1. catman

catman
    from El Reno

well, changed the wheels, threw on a set of whitewalls and added a little fake chrome, set it outside in the sunshine and ... got pics, maybe with just alittle help they will be up:confused:

2. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

catmans pics, now someone with an A should trade him out of this deal hehe...... here are yhour pics cat............:cool:

Attached Files:

3. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

and another one............:cool:

Attached Files:

4. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Something about a shoebox with no front bumper/grill that gets me all excited!!!

Looks REAL nice!!!

5. Godzilla

Godzilla

Its got that nose in the air, bad ass gasser look that makes Godzilla want to move back to OKC. I love the looks of this car...you hit it out of the park man!!! Gasser day forever!!!!!!!!!!! Ratman.

6. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

Hey man i heard from tony tonight and he is buds with the man that bought black magic right in his back yard in new york, how cool it found a nice new home......:cool:

7. Godzilla

Godzilla

If it wasn't such a stand out car it might have gotten lost. I bet it will turn up a lot in East coast publications in the future, if the guy gets it out...very photogenic.

Rain or no...Friday is HAMBster day. I hope to have it done all excpet for the engine this weekend. Might have to miss OGHD to keep the sparks flying.

Someone needs to jump on Catman's car...he looking for an A or something? Might have to trade my pussycar for it......

8. curtiswyant

curtiswyant

that ain't no damn shoebox!!! :mad: (from a '49 Ford owner)

9. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Well Curtiswyant, when you can get the rest of the FREE WORLD to stop referring to Tri Five Chevys as "shoeboxes" then I will too!! Until then.... THAT there is one REALLY COOL SHOEBOX CHEVY!!!!!!!! (from a '47 Ford owner:p )

10. PrimeEvil

PrimeEvil
    from N Utah

thats about the same as refering to swb as a short wide bed instead of short wheel base!

11. I'm really diggin' that '57. :cool:
    I think my next project will be a gasser, not sure what model yet, but definately a gasser. :cool:
    David

12. If you take the lid from the box your US Keds came in, flip it and stuff it in the box upside down, so the lid sticks out at a 30 degree angle, you can almost see the profile of a '57 Chevy. If you squint your eyes. And smoke those Funny cigarettes… And tilt your head.

13. Mike

Mike

'49 to '51 Ford owners don't have a monopoly on the term "shoebox" (although that is probably the most commonly used "car" meaning). Over the years, I've also heard the term used to describe tri-5 Chevys and even Chevy II style early Novas.

14. laverda

laverda

... hmmm ... I have an A in the classifieds :rolleyes: ..... never the less a nice a '57! Good work on the stance ....

al

15. Tri-5 Chebbies became shoe boxes when 15 year olds took over the magazine industry.:rolleyes:

It is a nice looking '57 though.

So the fake chrome is glass or ???

16. Will you stop driveing a Nissan for your daily at the same time?

This has strayed a long way from a post about a nice lookin' chebby for sure but back when the term was first coined it referred to '49-51 Fords. To call a tri-five chebby or a box nova a shoe box is like calling a '32 Dodge a Deuce. Or a '30 Chebby a Brick.

17. Mike

Mike

18. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Does this mean no one's gonna show me the secret Handshake now??

or is that a hambshake?

Oh well 20 more years of bad luck!!!!

This reminds me of an article I read in Hot Rod or something MANY years ago. It went something like this: They were interviewing someone (I forget) who mentioned "motor" in his response. And they went one to correct him and say "You know techincally it's an ENGINE - a "motor" plugs into the electrical outlet."

At which point this guy says back, "when you can get John Force to stop saying, "We blew the motor!" then I'll stop too - until then - it's a motor!!!!!!

Same thing here fellas - the ENTIRE POST is about a KILLER car and how very COOL it is. But for reasons I'll never understand the "defenders of good car grammar" must side track this instead. I've listened to guys calling tri five chevys "shoeboxes" for 20 plus years now - sorry that it has made an impression on me as I've only heard Ford's called shoeboxes for a year now. I'm NOT saying Fords haven't been called them too for 20 years or longer - I have no idea - frankly I could care less - what does it really matter - shoebox - carboard box - tissue box - call it whatwever you want - but just because YOU think it's called ONE thing and one thing ONLY doesn't mean it's right!!!!! I never said I was right - I just go by what i have heard for many many many years.......

19. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

I have even bought a glass chevy body for race car advertised as a shoebox?? who the hell cares its a cool car and catman is loving it......go man..!!!

20. You are right about one thing it is a nice Chebby. its a damn shame we have to screw up a good post about a sweet car with drama.

but on the other hand, just because everyone else got it wrong doesn't mean that the rest of you guys gotta get it wrong.

I don't hang with the beemer crowd, so even though they are low on my list of things to own I'll still know a deuce as a '32 ford, and even though I will probably overlook your ignorance if you talk to me about a shoebox I'll probably think yopu are talking about a Ford until you give me a clue that it's a '62 chebby wagon. 20 years gime a break, my daughter is 15 years older than that.

Now back to my question about the Chebby fin car, I'm guessing that the fake chrome is the grill lip and the back bumper, is it glass fake chrome or painted fake chrome. Either way it doesn't take a damned thing away from the look of the car, I'm just curious.

really like the car and I guess it isn't near as important as the lesson we have all learned in semantics, but I'd still like to know.

In my vwery best Simsonesque let me just say, Draaaaama. (insert large slobber at this point.)

21. Mutt

Mutt

This board is becoming very anti-semantic.......:D

Nice car, whatever you call it...

Mutt

22. catman

catman
    from El Reno

the mention of "fake chrome" referred to the trim down the sides, it came from Penn ind. in OKC, thanks for the good words man, thanks everbody!!!!!:)

23. Now that's cool fake chrome, I totally missed it, I thought it was the real stuff with the little point missing off the front.:cool:

BTW cat I'm sorry 'bout all the drama. It is a nice ride.

24. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

any interest in selling it????

25. guiseart

guiseart

Need to go open that baby up on a quiet stretch of two-lane blacktop IMHO - nice!

26. Godzilla

Godzilla

Catman,
    If you don't sell or trade your iron man lets do a couple shows when it gets a little warmer. I am not sure I want to feed that 871 all the way to Mustang...but something in the city would be OK. I am ready to rumpty...rumpty in with Willys and smoke the meats a little....how bout you?

27. catman

catman
    from El Reno

cool, I'm thinkin a Sat. nite at Coit's or something like it...:cool:

28. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

Zilla, do you want me to come out and drive it to mustang for you , :cool:

29. Godzilla

Godzilla

I would need a gas sponsor to drive out there. Those two 750's aren't sucking just air. I have never seen a gas gauge go down so fast! And I am not going to make the Taxi crawl up on the trailer...I hate those guys.

Anyway, I gotta be careful for awhile and not get it impounded...the title is not back from the State yet so I can not prove it is mine. But a rootbeer and a couple dogs...sounds just about right. Seems like we started showing off in April...had to watch for rain as I recall.

30. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

:cool: cmon Ill loan you gas money..........................need to do the poker run in that blown willys and follow the guy with the blown 32 and the one with the lown z28 and the blown 48 chebby pickup.........