Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What makes your hot rod "your" car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ALRIGHT ! ! ! ! He's back ! ! !

Atwater Mike and hrm2k like this.
  2. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The same thing on every project that makes it "Mine"....the inane ability to start with a simple idea of an affordable, cool, very drive-able project that turns into some kind of all out, wallet burning, fire breathing monster you have to be insane to attempt to drive! LOL!

mad mikey likes this.
  3. S.F.

S.F.

None that is legitimately diagnosed....yet.....

Yea, and most certainly it will have built in cup holders.

3wLarry likes this.
  4. S.F.

S.F.

5. Well we can rebuild you "we have the technology" yes you can be the next 6 million dollar man. LOL

I have given this some very serious thought, and I want to revise my first answer, what makes it my car and totally my car is that when I went to the sperm bank to sell my demon spore I found out that they didn't help you one bit. So I had to put my own elbow grease into it to raise the money so I could write the check to the guy that built the car.

6. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Its mine because no one else would be so stupid as to start with what I started with, used the parts I used, assembled it the way I assembled it, and then drive it like I drive it.
    When I get bored with it, the next one will be done the same way, just like the 3 before this one were done.
    With the wise words of that movie star, Forest Gump, "Stupid is what stupid does." I like to think of my car as my stupid. Gene

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Well maybe my brother.. Yeah me too...Add my wife...Wife's kids; shit the grand kids too...Crap, everyone around me!!! Ah, birds of a feather........................:rolleyes:

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My whole family is nuts...Except me or course, I'm the only sane person I know. Its everyone else thats crazy!!;):eek::rolleyes:

9. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Because its not like anything else out there and I built and made it myself.Didnt buy someone elses effort and sit around gathering trophies.

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Trophies are useless dust gathering pieces of crap. :D
    Hey, come to think of it so are some of the people who covet them :D:D:D

mad mikey likes this.
  11. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Not wanting to go off the thread topic,but even the trophies we give out,which I rather call doorprizes, are one of a kind,handmade things.Individually done for a certain reason.Cookie cutter aint my thing

12. I don't think that trophies in them selves are a bad thing, they are a form of recognition.

I think that anyone who actively seeks recognition needs help. Some people seek out trophies to the point of obsession and I think that for the most part at least for the majority of us they are not the primary goal of the hobby. Some of us chase the build and others chance the ride, but we all have one thing in common, the cars, the camaraderie. When trophies become the goal we have lost site of the dream that first sucked us in.

13. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

That most are not willing to drive it............and very few will fit..............Littleman

14. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

Its mine because its my name on the title...

15. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Id say overall most of us here have something that fits our personality a bit and is kind of like ourselves.There are most likely as many stories behind the build and search for that car or truck too.Lots of different reasons why you can say its yours.Even the bought stuff may have a fitting reason behind it like scrapping up the bucks to get it.Pretty open ended question..And lots of answers like mine above.

16. clem

clem

That is awesome. (And didn't need the arrow to point it out).

17. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Every part on the car was my decision on what to do. If I don't like it, it is on me to change.

PS: I love mine!

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We have a little tradition around our garage of christening the new member of the fleet. I don't want to dwell on the details but needless to say the ceremony works best with the Mrs.is in attendance. A few minutes (and a cigarette perhaps afterward) and title has been transferred. I love buying new cars.

mad mikey likes this.
  19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

hey, you never know:eek::p

20. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

My 26 koop was a nice hot rod when I bought in '97 and it still is because of preventive maintain nce and a few parts that I made for it. I got a lot of tips and ideas from the HAMB and I enjoy working on it as much as driving it. That makes it mine.............

21. dwest999

dwest999
    from Saline, MI

Love the chop... It looks great. Especially like that you didn't follow the Kustom playbook!

22. bryant henderson

bryant henderson

This is the number one thing to do!!! Case in point, I bought my 54 customline from an old neighbor. Here in nevada a lot of people that buy old cars get the title signed over by the previous owner and leave the date blank so if they sell the car they don't have to do the dmv thing, just sell the car and the new buyer can do what he wants. Well that didn't work out for me this time. After countless hours and lots of money I decided that this was indeed gonna be my car so I headed down to nevada dmv and they didn't like the signature of the seller, said it didn't look right. Now I've got to track this guy down(still haven't found him after 5 days.) Of course it's my bad but I've done this at least 5 times with no problem.. Never again. Who knows how many time the car has been sold since the last real dmv title. I just hope this doesn't turn into a bummer.

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think that's about the LAST thing my wife would be doing if I brought another car home...:p:eek: maybe if I sold one???:rolleyes:

24. prpmmp

prpmmp

You mean she doesn't get all worked up and have sex in a dirty, smelly, oily garage?? She's weird:eek:!! Pete

25. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just the same, I doubt anyone will ever say, "Just like in the 90's, bro.", with anything but mockery.

26. wicarnut

wicarnut

I am not a member of the built it from scratch club, but have had alot of cool rides, have always thought about what I wanted at that time frame and went shopping for something pretty close to my vision, then changing up to my exact vision, that's what made them my ride. I admire the men that spend years building and the skills they have developed and about 100 have replied to this thread with 225,000 members, that's about the ratio of true builders I have met in my 50 years of "car crazy". In my youth, got junk yard stuff and made it into something, early years , 21-43 played racer , bought Chassis kits, built many engines in my time. In my retirement now, have garage, tools, some skills, but no desire to build anything from scratch, have hard enough time just keeping up with my family, house, cars, health, and trying to enjoy life, which I am, still playing with cars.

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If I brought another car home, its more likely she would pull a "Bobbitt".:eek::D

28. Here's how my wife made her Caddy "HER" car,
    and made sure I wouldn't drive it! HA!
    facebook_1455458552764.jpg

29. The Ford I'm working on, my first basket case.. hopefully my last. I never started with a car that was missing so much, but the body was pristeen, zero rust, so I went for it. Scouted up all the missing interior pieces, door & 1/4 window guts, outer trim.. I had not a single piece. Rebuilt the doors, had a new windshield installed. Re-wired A to Z. But with this one, everything has been done right. No short cuts, nothing dummied up.
    DSCN0012.JPG

30. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Shit Larry you are tough. I'm kinda proud of this one. Club Pick.
    Gary
    IMG_0273.jpg