Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Radials on a lowered shoebox (52 merc)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SGates, Feb 8, 2016.

1. SGates

SGates

What I have came up with is 7.10x15 converts to 225 70 15 or 215 75 15.

I came across my first flat in the rear and realized what a pain that is, so with wanting to convert to radials I thought Id ask if anyone has them on their lowered shoebox? There is ZERO wiggle room when changing a tire so I'd hate to make it even more of pain by the sizing not matching up. Any input on what you put on yours is welcome. I do plan on using the same 15in rims that are currently on the car.

**edit I know most dont consider 52 a shoebox, but i seem to get a lot of info that helps me that applies to 49-51

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Before going to extremes like narrow 8" rear from a Maverick, be advised the Merc's lug pattern is 5 on 5"... (Ford pattern is 5 on 4.5")
    If you stay with the original rear, wheels, and lowered curb height do carry a bumber type jack, and a car stand...Raise rear from bumper, disconnect shock and flip shackle that side. Axle will drop a sizeable amount, tire comes out easier flat than going back on inflated!
    Still, this will buy you lots more room...

SGates likes this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

I have 215-75's on my '52 Ford. It's got 3" blocks in the back. The radials make it more difficult to get the tires on and off due to the fat sidewall of the tire, unlike the bias tire's more flat sides. I'd run bias on my car if money was no object but this was cheaper and the car is a budget build.

My '53 is the same way, and you have to let the air out of the tires and jack the body way up so the rearend will fall down with the springs to get the wheel off, a real bastard. One person suggested using air shocks which you could fully extend to get the rearend away from the frame, and you could still jack on the axle for height. That seems like a great idea to me, and I'm planning to do that on my '53 at some point.

IMG_20141107_110341.jpg

4. SGates

SGates

Thanks! This is a budget rebuild as well. Air shocks would help a lot I am sure. I have 3in blocks in the rear and am getting ready to do the good ol' aerostar spring swap to lower the front down. I've decided to get rid of the white walls so its nice to see your photo with a level ride and the radials on it.

5. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Merc pattern is 5 x 5.5", same as Ford trucks of that era.

It's not about the radials, it's more about the overall width of the tire. You can get skinny radials, for example 205s are narrower than 225s.

6. 3quarter32

3quarter32

When I had my 52 Merc that was lowered 4", I had to use a bumper jack. Then another screw jack between the frame and the rearend housing to get tires off and on.

7. Squablow

Squablow

Not anymore in 1952 I believe, that was the changeover year to 5 on 5"

8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Sorry I didn't know that. Can't keep up with all the Fordisms.

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

To be honest if your asking about radials in relation to the width change when changing from bias plies your going to have a few more variables.

1: the same tire on two different width or style of lip wheels can give you a different width. A fat tire pinched on a skinny rim will measure differently than one on a wide rim or even an overall wide rim.

Think side wall buldge since your aiming to make it easy to get the wheel off the car.

Radials notoriously buldge more than a bias ply that's why a lot of people don't like them.

2: brand! Many brands run wide, tall,
    Narrow, short of what the same size tire in a different brand or tread pattern may.

My advice would be to go to the tire shop with your bias ply to radial conversion size you posted and a tape measure and see what looks right and explain that your trying to get it to be as close as possible to the old tire. Maybe they'll be nice and recommend one that runs skinny or let you get a few different ones mounted to measure against your current set up.

Obviously a non corporate shop and a smile will help with all this

10. I have 235/75-15 radial tires on the back of my Ford. I hope changing one jacked up from the side goes a little better than when it was on jack stands. I had to let the air out of them, install them & air them back up.

11. SGates

SGates

Thanks for all the input. Waiting to get the rims painted before getting new tires. Not trying to take them on and off any more than I need too. Hoping the 215 75's will do me good without any rubbing, but will pay close attention to each brands exact sizing.

12. SGates

SGates

Any rubbing with your current set up?

13. Squablow

Squablow

Not while driving, but they're a bitch to change in the rear. Once they're on there they're fine though.