Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 Impala Hardtop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gallogiro, Jun 13, 2013.

1. gallogiro

gallogiro

found a guy in so cal finally that has decent prices on 175 75 14 Remington whitewalls for $270 out the door that's about $100 less than everyone else. and he says its not true they are hard to find they are available and when he runs out he restocks them every Monday.

$270 out the door the set of 4 brand new. everyone else wants $340-$360 picked up. hes in so cal, Baldwin park

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and his REMINGTON 155 80 13s are $170 out the door, everyone else wants $220-$265 picked up. I know theres deals right now, $130 a set of 4 for milestars and that's actually really good since the new milestars don't turn brown. but if you go with remingtons, this guy sells them for atleast $50 bucks less you can buy a spare with that

this is his facebook

https://www.facebook.com/meisterphot...14151921968829

Zach, his number if you want to hit him direct

626 214 6695

also sells rims, hydraulics and air bag stuff.

posting because they arent that easy to find and when you do they try to screw you over them telling you they are hard to get. even if you buy them and have them shipped youre still paying less than what others asking, its like total you are getting them shipped for free and still save a couple of bucks. mounting mine on my rims Monday, ill post pictures but if you were looking for a deal on 14 whitewalls that aren't 5.20s here it is

his 155/80/13s are 170 out the door, remingtons. I posted because not a lot of 14 inch riders but the ones that do, tires aren't easy to find or cheap if youre not goin 520s. if they aren't overpriced they say they are hard to get. this guy can get as many sets as you want overnight. he can get 175 70s 14s but he said he doesn't stock them, they don't look that great so not a lot of people buy those they end up looking like mini truck tires on 13/8s really square and lo pro like short dog says. really cool guy, his name is zack. its right by the vineland drive in, on the 605 between the 10 and 60 exit valley. he can get coker whitewalls too

[​IMG]

Sonic Motor
    315 cloverleaf Dr. Unit C
    Baldwin park, CA 91706
    626 214 6695

tomkelly88 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. gallogiro

gallogiro

o and to mount uni-lug rims you need those special lugs and washers. when youre putting on the rim you have to spin the tire while you are turning the lugs by hand to make them fall into the uni lug hole. do that to all 5 if not they'll mount on lop sided and lob to one side and I'm sure youll have a bumpy ride

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  3. gallogiro

gallogiro

4. gallogiro

gallogiro

hope all you guys had a merry Christmas, and have a happy new year tonight, I sure did =)

been busy with family, but heres some updates

I bought my car cover from auto zone for the 59. wanted a good one I'm going to have fresh paint, but bought it over a year ago. cost me like 80 bucks I know theres better but its the best one autozone had. threw it on a year ago and after a year of winds, and I used it to cover for overspray and sun dried it all up. one morning I woke up and my dogs had a party with it and chewed the fuck out of it so I needed a new one. I go to buy a new one, when I'm going to pay I tell the girl its my second one and she says if I bought it there to bring it back I got a 10 year warranty. i go back and stuff it in a box and take it back, half of it hanging out i was hoping she wouldn't see the chew marks and the metal flake all over it and say no. she didn't even look at it just told me to throw it behind the counter, ran my name and gave me a brand new one, said i got 10 years to just bring them back if they have "defects" and they'll exchange for a new one no cost. that's cool every year I'm going to rip it and get a new one

[​IMG]

i got this from a girl this year for Christmas, i wasn't going to take it till she told me it was only 25 bucks. i figured its cheap ill use it for my 48 or 65. turns out its better than the auto zone one I'm using it on my 59 for now i haven't even opened the new one i got. when the rains start ill use both on it at once but for now its on the 59. its like tarp material, waterproof and strong i think the new one will tear before this one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

check out this out, i took my doors off months ago when i started the body. left them in the sun and rain and they didn't rot but turned to this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

that's what I'm woring on now. for now too, side mirrors are gone, mounting holes filled

[​IMG]

sucks i wont use the side mirrors, they were designed really nice but making way for these. check out what they are going for now in my area

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ill post pics sunday, but will leave it with this for 2015. was a good year for me, new year will be even better this thing will be done and on the road. hope all of you have a happy new year

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  5. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

Read through your entire post then looked for your '48 thread. I'm impressed. I knew the '59s were great looking cars, but had no idea that some people put so much effort into those machines as you shared from the Wing's show. The entire car is beautiful. I wonder what Chevy was thinking when they designed and built that car, it must have been a very expensive car to begin with. Meanwhile, your ability to tackle new skills and master them is impressive. You were wasting your time as a DJ. You should be in the engineering field.

kidcampbell71 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  6. gallogiro

gallogiro

thank you kbgreen, I'm glad you enjoyed the threads so far. yea definitely those guys really poured their heart and soul into those cars. Their pockets are a lot deeper than mine for the total customization so mine will be a stock 59 with mild customization. that and I really just want to enjoy my car already I can go all out but id be working on it another year but my intentions were for it to be enjoyed a lot so I kept it modest on the undercarriage. maybe someday in the future when I'm completely done with everything and have the time I might do more, but for now I'm happy with this =)

and again thanks for the compliment, I try to improve my skills as I go along, I driven by passion and love of classics so my drive and attention is at 100%

I am way ahead of you about wasting my time being a dj. dont think I mentioned it but a few months ago I had just showed up to work in the dj booth, had just finish setting up and ate my lunch and sat back when I got an epiffany, a moment of clarity. for no reason, no trigger no upset literally from one second to the other I thought ok I'm done, no more. I put the cd in the cd player, closed my laptop, told the other dj to cover me and I left and never looked back. manager knew what i was doing and paid me for the day and I was gone. as I drove off I wasn't worried, or concerned I felt at ease. actually felt free, no more. no more drunks, no more fights, no more drama from the dancers i didnt like and never had to see some of the people I despised when id show up there ever again. I felt free and it felt good although I took a step into the unknown but new wherever I ended up it would be better than there. now I'm focusing on alot, on this which is what im getting by just fine with working on peoples cars and a lot of things I like and enjoy and make me happy. but want to explore other options, see what else I can be skilled in and never stop learning, want to learn more so I'm going back to school so I am and I feel good about it =) but thanks for the advice, very appreciated I'm sure if I hadn't already stepped away your message would have made me do it it would have pushed me

well ill get back to this the car. got a new laptop and forgot my password so I was logged out for a while but figured it out now. heres whats been going on

if any of you got old original glass that aint cracked and you still fly, use this stuff its called cerium oxide you have to order it online they don't have it at home depot. its industrial strength glass polish its like 10 bucks a bag of 8 ounces. you don't need that much, 2 spoonfulls does both windshield and rear glass both sides alittle goes a long way

[​IMG]

you get two spoonfuls and mix alittle bit of water to make a putty

[​IMG]

then you use this power drill bit with foam pad

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then you hit it in rows, not too fast but not too slow

[​IMG]

and when youre done doing both sides, all the scratches are gone. my windshield had two rainbows scratched into it from them using the wipers with little or now wiper rubber so the scratches were deep. they are gone now. ill post pictures tomorrow when I put the glass back in it has a really nice gloss you cant really see while not outside

[​IMG]

7. gallogiro

gallogiro

8. gallogiro

gallogiro

picture isn't coming out, but trust me it looks good ill post pictures of the glass mounted back on the car

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  9. gallogiro

gallogiro

you guys saw the picture of my crappy doors I let sit in the rain for a few months. finally got around to redoing them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

got all the rust off and the pinhole and baked on rust converted with the rust converter

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  10. gallogiro

gallogiro

straightened as best I could, and filled and sanded flat ready for primer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and now primered ready for paint tomorrow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  11. gallogiro

gallogiro

also working on a few small things, redoing this 40s 50s oil change minder and antenna flag so far I have them primered ready for paint

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and going to have a matching compass

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

its painted but not done, still putting white metal flake on it, two tone

12. gallogiro

gallogiro

weathers been cold, not freezing but below 60 degrees and its bad to paint base and clear in anything lower than 60, the clear coat activator/hardener wont catalize and fuse, itll become "dormant" and permanently be soft you can dig your nail in it or leave fingerprints in it if you press hard enough even though it feels dry. so for now I'm doing the radio installs since the dash is painted and the wiring is already there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the 90s kenwood and eq are going in my 65, so is the am/fm boman. the other 8 track boman is going in my 59 along with the record player and a boman color bar. its all wired up for it all and have the wiring run for the amps too I'm flying 2 amps in the trunk behind the rear seat. the only 45 records I have for it to play, going to be fun collecting records now

[​IMG]

the record player was completely rebuilt by hcat in Pomona, the guy that sells the boman color bars. he also set it up to play off an rca instead of an am radio station off your radio through your antenna

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. gallogiro

gallogiro

what I'm looking into at the moment as well is converting my am radio into an am/fm aux input and Bluetooth radio. I found out what component you need its called Aurora Design FMR-1 if you look it up youll see what I mean. baisically same original radio but new guts, small guts too

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  14. gallogiro

gallogiro

was raining most of the day, glad a lot of the work I am doing now I can do under my patio out of the rain. doors are painted, put them to dry in my paint department oven

and this, clean slate. took the felix I had on there off. honestly the body and paint came out too nice to have it on there and it didn't go with the car since the engine bay is all blue like the body now. so its gone clean slate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the under hood is going to be painted to match the firewall, radiator core and inner wheel wells. so I might put mirrors under it like this

[​IMG]

or do small murals in the small flat areas. I been working with my airbrush, I can do a lot better work than that felix I did at first

[​IMG]

mirror or murals, the under hood is now going to match the car. shooting primer tomorrow to get started

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  15. gallogiro

gallogiro

under hood is sprayed. just need to wet sand and buff in 2 days and get the mirror kit in the mail and put it on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. gallogiro

gallogiro

picked up my rocker moldings today since they'll be ready to mount in about a week or two. they are originals so redoing them they weren't going to come out perfect but still 100X better than how they were. I had to pick someone up after I picked them up so it made it alittle hard to take, my truck bed was full of tires I need to toss somewhere. I remember when I bought them at the pomona swapmeet I was in a 2000s monte carlo and had to take them sticking out the window even more. but I bought these rocker moldings for 600 when other og moldings were going for 1400-1600 when I saw these for 600 I jumped on them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

trying to keep the car as original as possible that's why I wanted og not repop even though the repops look really really good. watching a few things like the original ports for my skirts want those instead of repops but if I cant find all 4 ill go repops. I just happen to get the trailmasters out of luck and I already had a set of sanco blinds so that's a bonus but what really makes the 59 what I wanted and got was that the bumper kit, cruiser skirts and grille guard so I'm happy. id like the 6 way power seat, speedminder and blue rubber floor mats but if I don't get them that's fine. weather is going to be a bit wet for the weekend so ill get back on the car monday

17. gallogiro

gallogiro

man did that take a long ass time, about 15 hours to get it blocked flat it took a long ass time because its not sturdy like a quarter panel or fener so it would flex on me when Id sand so I couldn't tell if I was getting it flat if It was still high or I went too low now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tomorrow primer and block, Friday I paint it. but now that I think about it, its the last thing I had to do bodywork on and paint, after I paint it that's it for the car and the body, just little things left like the rear speaker and seat panel fillers.

18. gallogiro

gallogiro

hood is ready for paint, just need the wind to die down. went to a car show this Friday here in Fontana it was good, my homie picked me up in his new 62

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rollin out

back on the car, too windy to spray so I wet sanded and buffed my doors and polished my trims

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and put trim on doors. doors done now just need to put on door locks and mount doors. painting my hood tomorrow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

not bad from where they were a few weeks ago

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Damn. Those doors really tie the room together. Great decorator !!

loudbang and Peanut 1959 like this.
  20. gallogiro

gallogiro

kidcampbell at one point there were fenders on the couch and rims/wheels in the bathtub. luckily my girl doesn't mind I put up with her quirks she puts up with mine. it wouldn't happen if they were rusty still, learned that the hard way

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  21. gallogiro

gallogiro

brought them in to lay on something soft while I try to figure out how the hell the damn weatherstripping goes, supplement manual isn't too helpful its like trying to solve a puzzle from a magic shop. if it wasn't for that theyd be mounted already. good news, might be picking up a turnkey ready to drop 409, id definitely use in this car because its just a days work to swap it and its rebuilt. would also do it because the heads and valve covers resemble a 348. I offered the guy 3500 and he didn't say no he said come look at it so I'm doing so tomorrow morning

22. You should have seen the parts I had to take out of the house just before Xmas... living room, dining room, kitchen. It's just me, the kids and the cat.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  23. loudbang

loudbang

Car parts in the living room my kind of guy.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. manyolcars

manyolcars

Gorgeous car. Looks like the HAMB allows restorations of a stock car now. Its not a hotrod. Its not a traditional hotrod

25. How 'bout the kitchen counter?
    MUNCIE.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  26. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

damn homie i hadnt seen this for a while! youre doing a real good job! ive been wanting to learn upholstery too, youve gotten good

27. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

28. loudbang

loudbang

Ovens make good drying booths for freshly painted parts. But food cooked in them afterwards tastes a little funny for awhile.... ask me how I know.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  29. gallogiro

gallogiro

hey guys. wrapped up Frida night, frustrating day! started painting, redid my header panel (panel above the grille) headlight C buckets, small parts, my small bomb and the hood. it was too hot in the day to spray, over 85 degrees so I waited till about 5pm when it dropped to 75. had to spray the bomb tied between my palm trees and set the other parts by it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was done spraying the basecoat on everything at about 6pm it was already getting dark but the temperature was still good. I THOUGHT I was done, but the hood still had some parts that didn't get full coverage and was lighter than the rest. all the rest of the stuff got good complete coverage but the hood I thought I was screwed because the gallon of paint I was using I used all up. I thought damn now I have to get all the basecoat back off and start all over from primer on that big ass piece, was a whole day of work all over again so I clear coated the parts that did come out good and was done by 8pm had cleaned up and cleaned my gun but was mad I screwed the hood up and had to spend a whole day doing something I should have been done at this point. then when I'm cleaning up I find a whole quart of the same paint I put away from when I did my fenders I was even more mad. I hit up my friend from nano car restorations and he said I can just scuff the base with 800 and spray so I thought its late but I'm going for it the temp was still 75 and id be done around 11pm but did it. Nailed it, hood is done saved a whole day of work now just need to wet sand and buff

my bomb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my hood

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tomorrow wet sand and buff, mount my doors and whole front end, windshield and back glass on and the car is put together will be one complete car except for the trunk lid. almost done almost there I been waiting to put it together for a long time now, next post itll be pictures of it put together, tomorrow night or Tuesday morning. honestly I'm very excited its all going to fly from here. valentines day weekend so didn't work on it this weekend but back on it tomorrow. really happy right now. got this in the mail, throwing it in along with the 8 track player going in it

[​IMG]

30. loudbang

loudbang

Those bombs a re cool I have one like it but painted it OD green with yellow stripe like a live one. People that knew what it was always asked is that REAL :eek:

kidcampbell71 likes this.