Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Painting at home in the driveway or garage thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Sep 15, 2014.

1. blackout78666

blackout78666

Flying bugs love clearcoat. Heartbreaking to watch them Land on a freshly painted panel and do the slow death march. Usually good for an inch of "dammit "

juan motime, Spoggie and 117harv like this.
  2. jazz1

jazz1

My '48 Sedan Delivery,,,, all sheet metal epoxy primered after sandblasting. A crapload of sheetmetal. Just rinsed off the dust,,diggin' the wet look image.jpeg

3. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

painted in 2 days in my 2 car garage with a little help from my friends...

Attached Files:

traffic61 and Ulu like this.
  4. TLDLTD

TLDLTD

Very true...they do the back stroke for a couple laps lol

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Time for a bump, lets add some more here. :)

6. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I'm building a COE with the engine behind the cab . I have a sleeper over the engine so I had to paint it and the front of the bed first . The honey bees loved the fresh paint .

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Lets keep this alive :)

8. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpg image.jpg A gallon of Valspar Tractor Restoration paint.....spray a panel at a time.....drive it while paint hardens.....by the end of the year it's shiney black.

9. This is round II of the interior garnish and dash on my '59. My brother did most of the paint work, I just scurried around juggling parts and kept them in the shade (umbrella) best as possible. Firewall was done in Wimbledon White, interior floor in Duplicolo painted trim.jpg COIL INSTALLED.jpg DASH.jpg r white.

loudbang likes this.
  10. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

image.jpeg image.jpeg Painted my dash, visor, steering column, and windshield frame in my garage a couple weeks ago. Dash is together now.

11. spags

spags

What a cool thread, really starting to inspire my next project! I was going to pay someone to paint the inside of the cab but after 15 pages of reading I think i'll give it a go

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Good stuff guys, I'm going to set up a temporary booth in my garage soon and paint. :)

13. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I painted the roadster in my avitar in the garage. Thought I built a pretty good booth out of plastic. Washing machine and dryer came out black too and the house stunk. Wife said no more. Had to repainted the body after a lot of work on the wind screen and parachute area. Did it under a tarp beside the garage with single stage urathane and it turned out great and momma was not pissed off.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Awesome window panel squirrel I really like that truck !!:cool:

16. 130905--FJ-Xmemb.jpg Rattle. Pretty as hell

17. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Do it, its fun!
    This my own custom mix of low buck tractor supply valspar. Dash is blue and white with Roth bad azz blue flake over it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Spoggie, lowcoe and loudbang like this.
  18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That will not be a problem for me as my garage is not attached to the house. :cool:

19. Nice!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. Thought this might fit in here.:D

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

C'mon now Ian this is supposed to be a serious thread :D:D

22. loudbang

loudbang

Crazy Ivan at work. That is how they paint their MIGS. :confused:

23. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

this works pretty good for wheels. paint depressed center, dry, paint remainder. oops! i think i posted this in the wrong thread, feel free to delete!
    tom
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  24. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

I plan to paint my truck inside and out when the temps warm up. I am a novice painter and have only painted stock trailers and parts up till now. I think I did pretty good with the trailers and plan this for my driveway.. The truck is a 64 F100 and will be painted back with the original colors of Turquiose and White. My question is what is the best kind of paint to use? My county has no rules about anything. I can also cut and buff is needed. Thanks

25. Single stage enamel. I don't know how you are going to keep the bugs out of it though.

26. squirrel

squirrel

The best type of paint to use, is the type that you can do the best job with. If you're familiar with spraying enamel, maybe a catalyzed acrylic enamel. But since you're painting in your driveway, something that dries fast might be better.

27. indyjps

indyjps

Single stage, no metallic, enamel or urethane. The hardener contains the majority of the harmful chemicals. Buy a mask with correct filters even if you spray outside.

Buy all your paint at once and mix all gallons, quarts together. You can shoot a panel at a time if needed and get consistent color that way.

Check out tcpglobal restoration shop, they offer enamel and urethane in over 100 colors, summit is an option, I've never shot their paint, napa sells a good paint line -or did, I haven used it in years.

Use epoxy primer, most can be reduced for just a sealer coat, or sprayed direct to bare metal.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/Automotive-Paint/Restoration-Shop/
    June 2016 edit, I've since shot several quarts of TCP global gloss, satin urethane and enamel. Lay's down and shoots as well as PPG shopline, can't comment on durability yet. Works well for my novice skills.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    cptn60 likes this.
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Make a few 8x8 frames using 1x3's and staple clear plastic over it, them make up some legs or hang them from whatever may be overhead. Cheap protection from stuff falling into wet paint. Bob

29. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

buy a 10 x 20 Costco tent $200

30. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I used single stage enamel on my truck. I painted the cab and bed inside my garage and the fenders and various parts outside. The first thing I do is dust off the floor with my gas yard blower. Next thing is, I hose down the floor and surrounding area outside. I wipe down the parts prior to painting with Turpentine and then I start painting. I end up with a nice finished that just needs a little polishing.