Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Old style dog dish hub cap install

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oldstrk, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Oldstrk

Oldstrk

I have some 54 Olds dog dish hub caps that I would like to use on more modern 15 inch GM steel wheels. Is there anyone that's done this or does anyone have ideas on how this could work.

2. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Seems to me like you'd have to weld tits to the wheels for the caps to grip over...

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The Olds caps in question don't mount to exterior bumps. Buick, Olds and Pontiacs of that era use spring clips that grip the inner edge of the cap. The cap perimeter has a slightly tapered shape that helps center it to the wheel.

That said, I don't have any ready suggestion to solve the problem, though I imagine with some creativity it can be done. A few years ago afriend wanted to use '52 Pontiac full covers on Buick early Buick wheels. Both use the clip system, but the depth is different. In that case, I made some ring adapters that were deep enough to reach the Buick clips.

Ray

4. Oldstrk

Oldstrk

That's what I was wondering if there is a way to weld on some clips of some sort. I would like to see what the original wheels and clips looked like.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Later today I can post a photo of a Buick wheel........same design, different dimensions, but it will illustrate what I have tried to describe. All those BOP wheels from that era have a more concave 'face' in the center section than most other makes, except for perhaps, Cadillac.

By the way, what car are you wanting to mount these on.....more specifically, what is the bolt pattern of the hubs......5 x 4.75....5 x 5.0, or??

Ray

6. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

These clips can be bought as an aftermarket item, weld or possibly rivet them on and away you go.
    I do not recall the supplier, believe its a GM supplier though.
    Do a Google search and see what you can find.

7. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The availability of the clips is not an issue. They are available. However, I can tell you from personal experience, their placement is critical, even on a wheel intended for them. Some Buick wheels, when equipped with full covers, did not have clips, did have slots for them, but no rivet hole. Even using a template carefully, drilled rivet holes were off ever so slightly and would not retain the caps securely.
    welding the holes closed and even MORE carefully measuring/drilling was required. the point being, simply adding clips to a wheel, especially one not designed for them, is easier said than done.

Ray

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  9. earlymopar

earlymopar

Anything is possible with some thought and well-executed plans. 20+ years ago, I adapted 33-34 Ford (wires) hubcaps to conventional steel wheels. I didn't want to use hubcap clips on the wheel or on the hubcap since both tend to chew the crap out of one another. I machined a ring that mounted to the hubcap and then machined the rings to accept O-rings. The O-rings retain the hubcaps without causing scratches or gouges to wheel or cap.
    - EM

Oldstrk likes this.
  10. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Yes I agree, the placement of the clips is critical to a secure fit, and of course, a tru hubcap to rim fit also.
    OP may have to source some OEM rims, if he is a bit shy on undertaking this job....Good Luck

11. Oldstrk

Oldstrk

Its a standard Chevy bolt pattern Thanks for the reply I'd like to see the picture of how they are suppose to look

12. Oldstrk

Oldstrk

I'd like to give it a try I think the caps would be a nice touch. Even though about mounting them to a Chevy dog dish that is correct for the wheel but not sure how that would turn out.

13. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Here you go a 50s Chevrolet rim has clips for OEM dogdish caps

Attached Files:

Oldstrk likes this.
  14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

image.jpeg
    This is a '50 era Buick wheel and is very similar to the Olds wheel, though not identical in dimensions. I think the Olds caps are smaller in diameter. Look carefully and you can see the recessed area outlining the clips. That recess helps center the cap on the wheel and assists the clips in retaining the cap. That characteristic is common to Olds and Pontiac as well.

Hope this helps

Ray

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. Oldstrk

Oldstrk

Thanks for the info maybe I should look for some of the old wheels if they even had a 15 inch rim that would work with the disc brakes.

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

One thing to bear in mind.....Buick, Olds and Pontiacs of that era had 5 X 5.0" wheel bolt pattern. Chevy was 5 X 4 3/4" bolt circle.

Ray

17. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Did the chevy wheels have the same style clips? I want to use my factory 1941 caddy hubcaps on my current build but was going to use adapters to get to the 5x5 bolt circle to use the factory wheels. If the chevy wheels have the same clip style I wouldnt need the adapters.
    This is the wheel style on the caddy that fits the factory caps.

[​IMG]

18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Chevy wheels, from the mid/late '30s thru '53 (cars...trucks thru '59) used that style of wheel center and clips. I do not know if they are the same dimension as your Caddy wheels/caps. Unless someone else knows, and posts here, I suppose you'll just have to try them and see if they fit.

Ray

19. Oldstrk

Oldstrk

Must be why you don't see some of these cool old caps to often. One of these after market guys should get on the stick and make adapters for them.

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

one option I was considering on my 61 Dodge was to have wheels built using my original centers and a bigger hoop. why they put a 14 X 5 wheel on a giant car is beyond me. my caps don't fit later wheels as the caps got smaller after 62.

21. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

I'm thinking coming up with something similar to how a horn button attaches on one of those aftermarket Grant steering wheels. A specific length/tension spring in the center on the grease cover maintains slight pressure between the wheel and hub cap. Slotted tabs welded to the wheel interlock with tabs epoxied inside the perimeter of the hubcap. The hub cap would need to be pushed on and rotated slightly to lock into place. Let the fabrication begin!

Oldstrk likes this.