Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 F100 San Diego Find, Let the fun Begin!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spags, Jan 21, 2016.

1. spags

spags

Wanted to “reintroduce” myself as I have been off the forums here for a few years after I sold my 1958 F100. Since then I have been itching to eventually pick up another one and that day came last weekend when visiting San Diego! I saw this 1960 F100 on craigslist a few days before our trip and I messaged the gentleman for more info on the truck. To make a long story short we agreed on a price that was worth it for me to go look at the truck. On Sunday morning we drove over to check it out and I instantly loved it. I jumped in the truck and the wife followed me in her car all the way back to Pasadena California. Truck drove great all the way home!

My plans are to lower it 3” with Sids Drop axle (which I am working on getting it from him at next week’s Grand National Roadster Show; then lowering it on a set of Coker white walls. The paint is perfect in my opinion so that will be it until throwing a v8 Y block in it (has the straight 6 with the 4 speed option). f100.2.jpg f100.1.jpg f100.jpg

2. Bader2

Bader2

Right on! Just lower it about four inches,some nice wheels,and drive her! Congrats!

3. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Oh now that is sweet !!
    Really like that patina too :)

4. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Score, cool truck

5. spags

spags

Thanks guys. The truck is actually as straight as can be, I have not found even 1 dent in the whole truck. Little rust in the expected areas, drip rail and behind the driver's door but completely acceptable.

6. A Minus

A Minus

Nice find I really like it

7. spags

spags

Just ordered my drop axle from Sid, can't wait to get this truck on the ground.

8. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Congrats. Nice find

9. Looks great, as said, lower about 4 inches and then drive it. Nice being a shortbed and the paint/rust is fine as-is. unless you just want more power, the 223 you said runs great so why not just run that for a while?

10. spags

spags

After browsing the forums I will probably keep the 223 a little longer than expected. I do very little highway driving with it so I can manage for a while.

11. Bader2

Bader2

3.92 gears? My 56 is 3 spd,223,3.92 geared,at 60 she's screaming pretty good. Picked up a 9" from a 63 1/2 ton,same width( within an inch) but the 3.00 gears should make a huge difference. Spring perch pads are exactly the same,other than a change of drive shaft,it's a bolt in.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  12. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Perfect! Regret selling my 59. Been looking for a replacement every since.

13. Maverick1

Maverick1
    from California

I picked up my axle from Sid yesterday at Turlock. The axle under the truck in this pic was used as a core.

62 axle removal.jpg

Atwater Mike likes this.
  14. B Reilly

B Reilly

15. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

I like your truck a lot. I kind of have the same idea in mind. Can you give me the width of the seat. I don't have one. Looking for something close in size.

16. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

Thought I had the picture loaded.

Attached Files:

17. sburnett1960

sburnett1960

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454294133.083148.jpg
    Slowly but surely....

hershambob likes this.
  18. Sweet truck. Love this generation of f100's.

19. spags

spags

A few more pictures with an update. Picked up Sid's front axle and the install went great. Very straight forward and the 3 inch drop really put it where I wanted it to be. I turned my attention now to the rear. After talking with Sid I decided to get the main leaf spring's eye reversed and to flip the front (rear front) mount and keep the leaf springs on top of the axle. Should have it all back together this coming weekend...of course that's what I thought would have happened last weekend. 20160206_121629.jpg 20160206_135327.jpg 20160207_132119.jpg

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Very cool trucks, guys. Maverick, that low-key Wimbledon white is classy!
    I've been watching these trucks for a time now...(since '60, when I overhauled a '57 at work...) With the hood up, there is a nice height over the fenders to get at stuff. (removal of intake and heads, lots of room for headers...)
    If I didn't have my '55 F100, (and my '50 F1) I'd be all over a 'Fridge'!
    As it goes, I have to say I'm advising the young truck guys around here to grab one up before they're all gone!
    A young pinstriper hereabouts bought one (a '59) with no bed. The seller kept the telephone company utility bed, so the truck was very affordable! (seller didn't think anybody'd buy it with no utility box...)
    I told the young guy to watch for a bed, they are around...He dropped by a few days later with his Dad's Dodge Ram, with a '58 stepside bed and rear fenders, (no tailgate) said he wanted a stepside, because of my '55...I prefer the stepsides too, they look kinda 'hot rod'!

Stick with Sid! He knows best. Send guys to his site, all the info needed is right there. And YES, you can call him. Recommended.

Gorf and crminal like this.
  21. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Watching....I like what you are doing with the truck.

22. spags

spags

Just a quick update. Picked up my main leafs yesterday after dropping them off at a local shop. I was going to reverse the eyes myself but a local shop only charged me $65 to do it so I couldn't pass it up. Last night I had a chance to work in the garage last night for a few minutes and mounted the front hangers. I was able to use two original holes and just had to drill the other two. Should be able to hang the new leafs tonight and get the truck on the ground, really interested to see how low it sits with the reversed eyes and complete leaf pack. hagner.jpg

23. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Nice Truck! Looks like you're getting some work done!

24. spags

spags

Got the truck back on the ground this weekend and the new wheels and tires on. I decided to go with the Artillery style wheel mounted to a Coker Classic with the large 4 3/4 white Wall. I personally like the look and since the truck barely goes over 65mph the bias tires really don't create a handful on the road. I am going to drive it a bit this week as it is but I will most likely pull a leaf out of the rear (still running the whole pack) to drop it down just a bit. f100.3.jpg f100.4.jpg

25. verde742

verde742

mine is available, side of 58.jpg 58 pu gd.jpg $12,500

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    Truck64 and spags like this.
  26. I like what you're doing with the suspension. I've gotta lower my rear as well so what you've shown is helpful.
    Subscribed.

27. spags

spags

Super easy process. You can use two of the existing holes which makes it easy to drill the other two holes correctly. You will want to use the two holes that is farther away from the cab (closer to the rear of the frame), made the mistake of using the other two and it pulled the axle way to far forward.

28. spags

spags