Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help. Looking at a 50 Merc 4 door in the Morning!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32coop, Feb 8, 2016.

1. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

Hi,

As the title says I'm going to look at a 50 Merc in the morning. What should I be looking for or asking about?
    The car is supposed to be all original. 255, 3 speed etc. I will be checking out the rockers and all the bottom areas of the car as I would any. Is there any place the rust out like wheel wells, door bottoms etc..?

Im hoping this car is going to be my solid drive around car to get me and the family to rod runs while i toil away on my 35 ford 5 window (replace floors and all the other rust it has in it).

Thanks in advance Aaron.

2. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Check the level of rust, if any, along the seam of the upper and lower quarter panel.

3. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Inner and outer rockers, door bottoms. Lower front corners (if quarter window seals allowed water in. Rear window glass lip, drip rails, rear pan. Also typically lower/rear front fender corner (though easy fix)

4. Squablow

Squablow

My '51 has real nice skins but the floors are toast as are the inner rockers, floor braces, and the bottom corners of the cowl. Surprisingly little is reproduced for replacement panels for these cars, the floors, rockers, and inners that are sold seem to be a very poor fit (although they are cheap).

A nice complete running car is getting to be tough to find, and even the 4 doors have a strong following and aren't cheap anymore. Be sure to post pics, curious to see what you've found.

5. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

Thank you for the replies. I'll take some pics and post today.

6. williebill

williebill

Old body man told me once to always check the left side more carefully than the right side. His theory was that the splash from oncoming cars on dirt roads rusted the left sides quicker. That's why he said I'd always find more NOS RH stuff than left. That was back when I could find NOS sheetmetal for 49-51 Mercs.

7. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

image.jpeg
    This is the car. Looks good from a distance. A little to much rust for me, while we live in a rental at the moment.
    Not something I could get in and drive with the kids in.

8. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

Thank you guys so much for your replies.

9. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Looks pretty good from that angle. Where was the rust? Larry

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Sure looks good and complete at 20 feet.

Is it relatively mechanically sound to the point that you could drive as is/enjoy for the season until you're out of the rental-or the price point where you could afford to farm out the rust to a shop for a couple of weeks w/o going over budget?

Can't be too many 49-51 Mercs to choose from down under?

11. Squablow

Squablow

Where was it rusty? Looks really clean to me, although I know how the outsides of these things can look real nice and the underside can be wasted, from personal experience. Any more pictures? Also curious, how much does one of these things go for in Australia?

12. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Being in Aus. you don't have the anti 4dr mind set as we do here in the U.S.. Here, 4dr.'s go much cheaper than a 2dr.. Looks good from the picture but if you seen a lot of rust than keep looking.

13. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

Yeah I couldn't get right under it but I could feel the the b pillar was just sitting unattached to the frame. Holes in the trunk floor. Passenger side rear wheel arch was toast.
    Could get it to turn over. So unsure. I was pretty annoyed cause they said rust free. Now I didn't think that was going to be the case. Just not that bad.
    I'm going to ring a few places to get a ball park on rust replacement. But I think I'm going to pass.
    It was so complete.

14. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

15. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

16. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

17. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

18. Squablow

Squablow

That's too bad. It's certainly a pretty car, but if your intent is to buy a driver to focus your efforts on a long term project, this one probably isn't it, hate to have two big projects and none to run, unless the price is so great you could just take it somewhere and have it fixed.

19. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

As for price the guy wanted 27k. But was negotiable.

20. Squablow

Squablow

That's about 19K US, seems very high for one with a lot of rust although I'm sure they're much harder to find there than here.

21. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

I guess they're trying to recoup some of the cost associated with bringing it in.
    I can't remember ever seeing a 4 door in Australia. I missed a really good looking 2 door a lot more expensive just last week.
    Oh well the search continues.

Squablow likes this.