Register now to get rid of these ads!

spindle lengths needed 59 Buick vs 42-48 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marq, Mar 1, 2006.

1. marq

marq

Ok Guys to complete this project on Buick Brakes on ford spindles i need the length of Buick spindles seeing as i don't actually have a set thats gonna be hard.This project involves 2 stages First stage is to get the Buick backing plates to fit ford spindles.This has been done(tech to follow)the second stage is to fit the Buick drums and Hubs to the ford spindles.Now i know 29rat has some adapters to do this but i belive this is to fit the Buick hubs and drums to ford backing plates,i'm not doing this i'm fitting the whole damn shooting match.This is why i need a few dimensions to get it all to work.I will also do a tech with dimensions to follow when the job is complete photos are being taken on a stage by stage basis.................Marq p.s spindle length from the very end to the rear hub bearing butting face

2. MilesM

MilesM

Do a search. The adaptors for this are being made and sold on the HAMB and the post has a bunch of tech info.

3. MilesM

MilesM

Never mind me I see you already know about the adaptors. The adaptors (two part) I ordered from him adapt to the spindle not the backing plate.

4. suedesled

suedesled
    BANNED

The old way was much easier. Remove the hub from the ford drum and machine the Buick to fit. Unless you wanted the big buick shoe?

5. marq

marq

yup i'm using the Big Buick shoes and backing plates,over here Marty the traffic is very fast and roads very small so big brakes are a nesessity..........Marq

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

7. I suppose it's a matter of opinion but I strongly disagree. Plus using the buick hub get's bigger bearings. If I am understanding what he's saying. Also Marq FWIW the spacers that adapt the 58 - 60 backers to Ford spindles (according to the old Hot Rod Works instructions) puts the buick backers in the same relative position as the Ford's. Which is also what my adapters do by positioning the buick drum within 1/16" of where they would be with Ford hubs. This I have checked because when I designed these adapters I used Ford hubs for reference. Furthermore the recess that has to be machined in the back of the buick drums for the Ford way is exactly what I did for my method. I realize that using buick backers eliminates that recess, so I believe at the VERY most you may have to alter the depth of the existing recess slightly which isn't uncommon no matter how you accomplish this. I also understand that you are a long way away and just want to be sure. PM me your email and i'll forward scans of the HRW instructions which explain a lot of this. Also recently I thought someone posted the diagrams of the early and later buick spindles?

8. marq

marq

What i want to do is use the whole lot,Buick backers drums and hubs.Now i have to use the spacers metecm sent me as it gets the backing plate well away from all steering gear and puts it exactly inline for ford hubs if nothing else works out.Now what i need to do is workout if your adapters are gong to affect what i have and if they will put everything in the correct order. I now have all the bearings but as it's so bloody cold oput at the moment i ain't even gonna attempt going out there to try to fit it all up................Marq