Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 59 Pontiac

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 296moon, Feb 5, 2016.

1. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Just got myself a 59 coupe, it has a lot of "patina" and the interior fabrics are toast, are seat sets available anywhere?, also going to need brake parts etc could someone point me in the right direction please, thanks moon [​IMG]

Bruce Fischer, MOTOV8N, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  2. SMS Auto for the interior. Kanter is great for the vintage Pontiac brake parts. Kind of expensive though. I'm sure there's more out there, but that's a start at least. Good luck!

3. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Your local NAPA store can likely get the brake parts for you.That car doesnt look bad at all! What are your plans for it?

4. khead47

khead47

NAPA in England?

5. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Don't really know, but shouldn't those parts interchange with 59' Chevrolet? If so it would probably be less intimidating to inquire about 59' Chevrolet parts instead of 59' Pontiac parts.

6. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Not very much exchanges with a 59 Chevy, the GM brands back then all had their own classis and drivetrains. Window glass and a few bits like door handles and lock knobs were the same but that's about it.

You should look into joining the Pontiac-Oakland Club International: http://www.poci.org As the name suggests there are international chapters, so you may be able hook up with other Pontiac owners in England, plus they have a pretty good classified ad section in the monthly magazine.

7. dogwalkin

dogwalkin
    from tn

Absolutely no help here but... Probably my favorite car. Just saying...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Great looking. Now that car needs a beautiful paint job.

9. Wayne67vert

Wayne67vert

Wow! This brings back good memories. My Mom had a white one just like this when i was in high school. It would fly with the 389 cu in and a big 4 barrel carb. It had White seats with blue trim and a blue dashboard.

10. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

Very cool car.

11. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

My bad,I didnt look at the avatar.Is there something like a NAPA in england? I know you can order from them online.

12. That's too beautiful to paint.

xrosczech and Bruce Fischer like this.
  13. RE: SMS Auto Fabrics
    They do nice work, but don't expect to get your seat covers/door panels very soon. I was told 6 months, but waited over a year and finally had to go the Visa credit card dispute route to get some of my money back. They're not into customer service.

14. MOTOV8N

MOTOV8N
    from Manitoba

i could not agree more! Well put T.L. !

15. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Indeed.

My next Pontiac will be a '59.

16. DB Cooper

DB Cooper
    from Oregon

Restoring this exact car as well here soon

Check out Ames performance
    Original parts group
    SMS

I have not got super down and dirty locating hard parts for the car but so far it's tougher then I had thought. Mine looks very similar to yours in condition. Very cool car and good luck going forward

18. I agree with Bob, I would just drive it and enjoy it.Bruce.

19. Moon that is 1 KOOL lookin lead sled! Bruce.

20. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Thanks to all for the positive comments and leads, I dont intend to paint it just yet want to get it up and running first, the original 389 came with it but for some reason had been removed and good 305 chevy is in its place but not hooked up yet, will be checking out the 389 to see ££££ wise which engine to run it with for now, also checking out the brakes and steering this week to see what it needs, I wont be tearing this to bits like my other projects just yet as cant be doing with another pile of parts that will "get done one day" thanks Moon [​IMG][​IMG]

21. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Sorry haveing trouble with pics................... [​IMG][/URL]

MOTOV8N likes this.
  22. xrosczech

xrosczech

clean the paint, lower it, get the interior done, and cruise that bubble top.

23. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Amazing, still looks like it has most of the chrome, stainless bits and pieces. Don't know what it would be like driving down the hedge rows though. It would be fun in London!

24. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Put the original 389 back in there, even if it costs you a few more duckets than the 305 to get back into running order.

You'll be disappointed driving it without the feel of that Pontiac torque they're famous for.

1959 was a special year. First of the wide-track Pontiacs. First Pontiac to feature the trademark split-grille styling, it went away in '60 but the split-grille came back and was used for every year thereafter.

First 389 and also the last Pontiac engine built with reverse-cooling, the coolant gets pumped through the heads first and then into the block.

[​IMG]