Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 64 f100 build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by michael knight, Dec 23, 2015.

1. So ive been reading this site for a couple years now. Finally ready to start a build thread.
    So far I have disassembled the truck, installed a mustang 2, sandblasted and painted the frame with imron.
    I replaced the cab floors and made new cab mounts at the front.
    The suspension has been reinstalled both front and back, although i didnt have enough time to blast and paint the diff before winter hit so i will do that in the spring. I painted the bottom of the cab in wimbleton white. Im trying to go for a 60s custom look (minus the mustang 2).
    Any comments are welcome

Attached Files:

rytang, Hornswil and 61f100 like this.
  2. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

michael knight likes this.
  3. Johnnee D.

Johnnee D.

Looking good...any pictures of the truck before the tear down? Is it a Canadian F100? What engine will you be putting in?

4. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

5. I will post a pick of pre tear down soon. The truck came from arkansas. Right now i have a 351w and c6 from a 78 ford ltd. I bought the car from my boss and yanked the engine and trans. The odometer read 32,ooo. But ya never know if it was turned back. It ran strong and no funny noises, so im hoping its in as good of shape as i think it is. Lol

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

good project - keep it going

7. richard_head

richard_head

Nice!! Im workin on a 64 as well

Attached Files:

8. As asked for, here are some pics of pre tear down of my truck. there is also a pic of final mock up of the engine compartment with the 351w.
    so here is some more info on what I have done so far.
    I used welder series weld in motor mounts, I bought a new 1970 mustang gas tank and fitted that between the frame rails behind the rear axle because I didnt want the in cab tank anymore. I also welded in a big notch for axle clearance.
    So with all the frame mods done I sandblasted it, epoxy primed and painted the frame.
    stay tuned, there is more to come soon:)

Attached Files:

rytang and Johnnee D. like this.
  9. Johnnee D.

Johnnee D.

Good job, keep us posted!

10. A little update, over the holidays I was able to finish off the metal work on the cab.
    the roof seam us welded solid and ground smooth, I also had to weld in a patch on the driver side just above the drip rail.
    I also found the steering column I wanted. My truck came with a three on the tree and Im converting to an automatic trans. I got an automatic original automatic column which was hard to find because majority of trucks back then were standards.
    Happy about the column because now i can run an original steering wheel and horn ring which in my eyes look so dam good. 20160111_145249.jpg 20160111_145129.jpg 20160111_145036.jpg 20160111_151104.jpg

rytang likes this.
  11. Johnnee D.

Johnnee D.

Looking good! I agree with the original column... Nice look

12. Looking good Micheal . heres my 64 IMG_1414.JPG

rytang, michael knight and King ford like this.
  13. A Minus

A Minus

I love the 61-66 ford trucks. I have wanted one for years I just have never found the right one good luck with your project.

14. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Right on! You have my attention! Subscribed

15. 61f100

61f100

Are you doing any front end swaps? I have plenty of information on the subject! looks good

16. Yes, also curious. I've got a CV for my 57 but having a hard time doing it because of wheel offset/choices.

17. I did a mustang 2 swap. I knew wanted a front end upgrade and basically i found three ways to do it. The first being CV then mustang 2 or getting spindles from a 73-79 with disk brakes. Mustang 2 seemed like best bang for my buck and i get to use a truck rim as opposed to using a car rim on a CV swap. I will be posting some more updates in the coming weeks. Have you guys ever installed a four link in the rear of these trucks?.
    Thank you for the replies

crminal likes this.
  18. Heres a little update of my build. I bought a new 70 mustang gas tank to replace the in cab tank. Here it is painted.
    I also got the majority of the cab in epoxy primer 20160313_193046.jpg 20160321_115213.jpg 20160321_115153.jpg 20160321_115213.jpg 20160313_193046.jpg 20160321_115213.jpg 20160321_115153.jpg

rytang likes this.
  19. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Looking good! I too am looking for the right 61-66 f100 project for when i complete my roadster

20. 20160608_204353.jpg 20160608_204433.jpg I have a little update. I finally got the engine and trans back in. My build is somewhat out of order but

rytang likes this.
  21. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

22. Thanks man

rytang likes this.
  23. Man you are doing a great job keep going and keep us posted subscribed Hobo Jim

24. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

I too am slowly building a 64 F100. I thought I was smarter than most people and put mine on an 87 F150 frame, I have power st., power disc brakes, 302 engine mounts, trans cross member, modern suspension. Even after shortening the frame (which was the easy part), everything has been a struggle. Getting the Cab in the right place and square, making front mounts, cutting all the rust out and replacing the metal. I am going from a 3 speed to an aod and used a Summit tilt wheel column, 6 gauges in the instrument cluster. My metal bed floor was rusted and gone and I have some Cedar to replace it after I replace some bedsides and part of the front. You can buy anything for these trucks, but anything you get has an outrageous price. I'm also trying to go low buck. My Custom Cab was Turquoise and white and will be painted the same color if I live long enough to finish it.

bengeltiger likes this.
  25. Ya, switching frames would be a good idea. I think anyway you slice it, we are in for alot of work. Im doing mine low buck too. I havent farmed out anything except for some sandblasting. Most of my money goes to daycare.
    My bedfloor is toast too. Do you have any pics of the cedar floor or do you have a build thread?

26. Hey I used Bed Wood and Parts for my bed Jeff Major was Great to deal with. How's the project coming? My 37!is making slow progress due to the weather I ussaully don't stop at the end of the driveway when I back my 56 out to work on it Ha Ha. Hobo Jim