Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Levee Leveler (A Single Seat Racer Circa 1934)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cactus1, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Indeed it is and thanks!

2. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

I believe you have to go to the museum. I have looked on line and have found very little. I have been several times and the last there was this single seater and also a wayne 12 port powered car too. Its good to be able to get up close to these cars. The times I have visited there were very few people there and the person in the museum was very willing to open hoods and let you get close to see the bits that interested you. Worth the trip.

Greg

brEad and cactus1 like this.
  3. 97

sko_ford and cactus1 like this.
  4. Mart

Mart

Don't want to come across negative but those side strengtheners would probably make more sense if they came further forward to encompass/strengthen the front bone mount points. Having the front and rear attachment points the same would probably look well balanced too. If the rear radius arms incorporated some flexibility at the axle end, they wouldn't be fighting each other. That said, if there is room to tie the radius rods to the torque tube, nothing can bind.

Mart.

cactus1 likes this.
  5. alchemy

alchemy

My point as well. He said he'd only drive it off-road, but I can't imagine putting all this time and effort into a car and not wanting to drive it on the street as well. Lots of bumps in our streets these days.

sko_ford and cactus1 like this.
  6. Very cool, Mike!
    I haven't been on here much lately, so I didn't even know you were working on a new project.
    Keep up the good work!

cactus1 likes this.
  7. I completely understand what your're saying and as I said have been contemplating the solution for some time. I based my decision off the historical examples that I've found rather than what I know to be correct from an engineering standpoint ;). And I realize that those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it, ha! If it breaks I will do something different. I have the early Tierod ends like I used on the front and even made a braket but I didn't care for the looks of it. And yes I realize some of them appear to have a pivot of sorts but some do not so?

Oh and the frame extension is actually of thicker section than the frame itself. I'll be able to tie them together under the driveline which will stiffen everything up and give me a basis for the floor/bellypan section.

image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png
    image.png

I don't plan on licensing this car for the street as it will utilize as I said rear, hand lever activated mechanical brakes only. I don't think I'm man enough to drive it around in modern traffic! I have a hotrod that that built (that follows the engineering rules) for daily use and have even travelled in it. I'm not saying I know what I'm doing, I'm saying I know what I'm doing on this is wrong but I'm going to do it anyway :D.

Thanks Martin! I wondered where you've been on here and IG. Nice to hear from you!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    Stogy, T__N__A, birdog and 5 others like this.
  8. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

That's the spirit! Hahaha! Love all of the details so far – can't wait to see how it gets "skinned".

cactus1 likes this.
  9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Don't say "Skinned" around Mike!! He's keeping his foreskin forever!

volvobrynk and cactus1 like this.
  10. I may be dumb but at least I'm stupid! :D

;) 8=========>

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Lookin' good, Bro!! So stoked to finally see it in person yesterday!! Your craftsmanship and abilities just affirm the true hack/cobbler that I am!! But…I just want you to hurry up and finish it so I can tear up your front yard!! It's going to be such a fun, little racer!! You are doing a great job!!

12. I'm glad you finally got to come by and see the place Jason! And thanks again for parting with the goodies for the project!! My poor grass... I can't wait!

13. Whats a happening with this?
    Need update!

14. Hey Kelly! Not too much to report. My wife and I have been tackling a few home improvement projects and I was out at GNRS the weekend before this last. I did get a little time with it this weekend and a friend brought some neat parts out for it as well. I will elaborate when I have more time and some pics. Thanks for the interest!

15. Watching..........and wondering what ever happened to your 34 ford coupe project.

16. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

Hell, I guess I'll watch it too. Looks like fun so far.

17. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

I vote a ride at the hill climb

18. Hi Rock! The '34 coupe is still in the works. It is just behind a couple projects first!

Hi Brad. Thanks for checking in!

Hopefully/maybe/eventually?! Ha! The ultimate plan is to build a single axle trailer to drag it behind the Merc. I gotta get crackalackin'!

19. Oh and here are some parts that I talked my pal @Bugsy out of! Thanks again brotha!

image.jpeg

Jet96, Tim, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  20. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

That would be killer! We just rented out a house for the hill climb. The old devil is going to do 1400 plus miles. I better get moving too lol.

cactus1 likes this.
  21. I haven't had much time in the shop as of late but I did get out there today for a bit. It is unseasonably warm in Kansas right now. Love it!

Anyway, against better judgement I went ahead and cut/slugged/and re-welded the radius rods and mounted them up.

image.jpeg
    I also bolted on the junky old intake that I bought years ago and a couple of rebuilt 81's I bought from @chaddilac here on the Hamb. Also the Wico Model X from my pal Jason.

image.jpeg
    It was such a lovely day I decided to roll her outside for the first time to have a look see.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

brEad, ClarkH, Shaun1162 and 15 others like this.
  22. chaddilac

chaddilac

Looks Awesome! Jeffrey James gave me a ton of crap for selling those to you!! Lol!!!

birdog likes this.
  23. He can kiss the fattest part of my arse!
    Love ya VaJJ (@JeffreyJames!)

brEad and chaddilac like this.
  24. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Looking Great!!

25. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

26. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

27. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

I like the fruit you have hanging off that banger.

cactus1 likes this.
  28. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Still looking for a pressure pump? I have radiator/ cap tester you can have for the cost of shipping. PM me.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    cactus1 likes this.
  29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking good mike, glad to see you taking advantage of the good weather :)

If your road stays as wash boarded as it was the last time we came out slugging those ends will have been a good idea!

cactus1 likes this.