Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '32 Ford 5 window coupe, rear suspension

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by awd_maine, Feb 5, 2016.

1. awd_maine

awd_maine
    from maine

I am building a 32 5 window coupe. Putting a model A rear crossmember and a rear spring from a '30 model A sedan in it. I think I am going to remove a couple of leafs (#3 and #4) as the '32 coupe isn't as heavy as the sedan was. My question is... how much should I preload that spring so I can locate the perches on the new rearend?

2. alchemy

alchemy

How about you bolt the spring into the crossmember, and place large blocks/planks under the ends of the spring so the whole car is supported on them. Like the rearend would do if it was under there. Then bounce around in the back seat a bit to settle the car.

Measure the spread of the spring eyes, then add the distance that the shackles would take up if they were at 45 degree angle. That would be the distance you need for your spring hangars. Actually, I'd add another inch because the spring might actually settle a bit more after driving a while.

rod1 likes this.
  3. Andy

Andy

An A spring rides a lot worse than a stock 32 spring or a 40 front spring. Are you going to put in a QC? That is the only reason to put in an A spring.You don't have to cut up the floor or change the crossmember with the 40 front spring. They ride extremely well.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    cad-lasalle, Harms Way, X38 and 2 others like this.
  4. awd_maine

awd_maine
    from maine

Yes. We are putting a qc under it. Was hoping to get the spread so i can locate the perches

5. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Set your perches at the distance of the perches on a stock A axle. Someone will have to verify, but I seem to remember that the distance is 48-1/2" eye to eye.

oj likes this.
  7. awd_maine

awd_maine
    from maine

Thanks.. everyone
    This is an original spring. Had a Model A 2-Dr Sedan a few years ago that I changed to coil overs.

8. Check out Havlir House of Fab for your spring mounts - he has them for the quickie ....

oj likes this.
  9. Harms Way

Harms Way

Unpack the spring,.... Place the main leaf on a flat surface,... Take a Center to Center measurement of the eyelets at neutral pressure..... Add 1" to 1-1/2",..... Then take the shackle "center to center" dimension times two, Add that to the mix, and you should have your "center-line" for your shackle mount position. You can make a simple welding fixture with a piece of square tubing and a couple bolts.

As stated above,... The Model A Rear spring is heavy and harsh,... I would consider taking out every other leaf in the pack and starting from there... (and even that might be too much spring).... you'll have to play around with it.

A long time ago I posted a safe and easy way to unpack a spring..... It might still be on here somewhere.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. Harms Way

Harms Way

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. awd_maine

awd_maine
    from maine

Thank you... this looks like a good plan. With any luck will be doing this tomorrow

12. awd_maine

awd_maine
    from maine

Again. Thank You to everyone

13. Bader2

Bader2

Put the perches at 48-1/2" it will work just fine. My a coupe has a 38 rear,model a spring,7 leaves, the perches are at 48-1/2", rides decent.

14. awd_maine

awd_maine
    from maine

15. F-head

F-head

take a piece of angle iron and drill 2 1/2" holes 48 1/2" CL apart use a couple short pieces of pex or abs tubing where yous shackle bushings go so you dont ruin your bushings taking them out for paint
    bolt the angle to your spring hanger brackets using it as a jig to keep them paralell
    and to keep the angle the same
    you could borrow mine but Maine is a long way from washington
    Bruce

hipster likes this.
  16. awd_maine

awd_maine
    from maine

Again Thankyou
    Thanks for the offer.... but it would be to far..

17. Harms Way

Harms Way

One last thing,..... You might want to just "TACK WELD" your spring hangers for right now and make sure you tack them in a area easy to get to with a die grinder, So as the build progresses you can cut them loose in case you need to adjust for your "pinion angle" with a fully loaded suspension.

There would be enough movement in the shackles to adjust for it later,... But it would put them in a bind,... And anything in a bind in a suspension system will effect ride, longevity, parts fatigue.... & potential parts failure... In fact, ever sense my second hot rod build,... I tack everything then finish weld it when I blow it apart for finish assembly.... Just a option for you, Cause cutting stuff off to adjust it, is a pain in the neck.

18. awd_maine

awd_maine
    from maine

View attachment 31289 P5163436.JPG 32-Ford.jpg 43[/ATTACH] this is the look we are going after, maybe a little larger wheel/tire on front

P5163436.JPG this is what I started with. We have the history of the car, we are the 3rd owners. I have preserved the original running gear and our plans for now are not to chop it. Going to leave it patina

19. racemad55

racemad55

Well Skunk, it looks like your in line for an "official" pair of Rolling Bones split wishbones & drilled axle ! Taking orders.

awd_maine likes this.
  20. F-head

F-head

wow thats a cool survivor
    how about get it running with a 59 A b and a 39 trans ,dropped big beam,juice brakes,big and littles and run it full fendered
    you dont find too many survivors like that
    I was only kidding about borrowing the angle iron I'm sure you could come up with one on your own
    like harms way said just tack everything first
    but why even put a Q/C in a nice survivor like that
    as time goes on survivors are going to be the most sought after cars

WiredSpider and racemad55 like this.
  21. oj

oj

hipster likes this.
  22. awd_maine

awd_maine
    from maine

That would be cool. Rick

23. awd_maine

awd_maine
    from maine

This is how she is looking now
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454892882.076412.jpg

texkbc likes this.
  24. F-head

F-head

25. F-head

F-head

should have left that one together and chopped up your jeep
    could have sold that for a profit and bought a 5 window body to chop up
    there goes another surviver

WiredSpider likes this.
  26. awd_maine

awd_maine
    from maine

Not to worry. Nothing has been cut. Just disassembled. Its on a new frame and the fenders hood and running boards are in the barn

27. alchemy

alchemy

Hey AWD, your spring hangers are on upside down on that axle.

28. awd_maine

awd_maine
    from maine

I know. But only for a little while. Thanks

29. Bader2

Bader2

No,the axle is upside down,see the drain plug?

30. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak

So did you keep the original frame?