Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Lame power plants.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stubbsrodandcustom, Feb 1, 2016.

1. pnevells

pnevells

This a fun thread and it is good to stir the pot every now and then, but at the end of the day when we have just made 6 passes between 9.62 and 9.66 effortlessly, I will take my lame SBC anyday

Pass 2-1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    dudley32, wraymen, r2c1 and 2 others like this.
  2. I've just had a thought.....surely the only thing worse than a 350 Chev is a Rover V8??

3. Only if its left to look like a Rover V8. JW

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. hipster

hipster

Hear! Hear!
    Or worse yet, some poser steampunk/rat rod version of an enimic, over weight white whale that'll barely make enough power to keep up with a Korean crap box, all while being told it's "authentic".
    The only thing authentic is the quest for speed!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  5. RmK57

RmK57

If your using a brand new chev 350 crate engine made to look like something from the late 50's or mid-60's then something like this should be totally acceptable, right?

I cant think of a better looking new old looking engine.

hrdp_1102_06_o+1932_ford_brookville_roadster_pickup+coyote_engine.jpg

6. mike bowling

mike bowling

Can't find stuff?? Make stuff!! Single barrel Holleys on a custom intake.
    Valve covers are going to be replaced by Y-block "Mercury" embossed covers; black with gold lettering. White headers went bye bye. 4 barrel is going away, going back to the original 2 carb set up.
    Car is in the middle of a winter re-model.

Attached Files:

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I probably have lame motors in all my rides and do not give a shit,they all start up and get me to where I need to go and back.

8. desotot

desotot

I used to have a 27 rpu with a Desoto, it was so cool to look at but any good 289 or 283 could have beat it easily.

[​IMG]

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

Those who knock the SBC are probably the same guys who think that an International truck could ever be a 'traditional hotrod'. Why do you want to rewrite history to be something it never was?

Asphalt Angel and hipster like this.
  10. slammed

slammed

Picture 035.jpg Maybe a chebbie in cognito?

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

mike bowling likes this.
  12. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

x2!! You are so correct!!!

13. slammed

slammed

Picture 036.jpg Those crafty devils w/ a Dremel maybe pulling the ultimate con job. :d

Stogy likes this.
  14. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Haha, Your missing the point completely. Some people have not gotten what I was going for in the orig. post. Some people have not.
    So here is my example of LAME SBC...

Note the bolt on's, re pop air cleaner, crate motor valve covers and intake...

Attached Files:

• lame.jpg
      lame.jpg
      File size:
      36.3 KB
      Views:
    volvobrynk likes this.
  15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Wow, got to wonder if people posting here even read the OP. Hint: it's not about slamming the SBC...

hipster and volvobrynk like this.
  16. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I don't think anyone is "knocking" any small or big Chevy, Ford or Chrysler (with few exceptions with each brand).
    It's just NOT what the original poster had in mind, and stated so.

Mike

And just for kicks...just exactly...how does one...start "UP" an engine ?
    There is NO "up" in starting an engine...

17. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Hmmm....did you notice the OP has "Mopar" valve covers and "K&N"-stamped air cleaners on his engine, then calls other people's engines lame?....just sayin'.

hipster and loudbang like this.
  18. Piston goes UP to TDC to compress and ignite the fuel. See that wasn't so hard to figure out !

wraymen, volvobrynk and young'n'poor like this.

19. I think that slamming the SBC almost falls into the same category as outlawing the 426. Almost being the operative word here. In its own right the SBC is a phenomenon.

Actually any mill posted in this thread could count as lame. The SBC is just a good example because there are so many out there that are poorly executed. Face it use the wrong pieces, bolt on or otherwise on any mill in any hot rod or custom and it can or will look as out of place as a pork chop at a bar mitzvah.

Here is an example and I am going to ask you to use your imagination here. In the '90s I was shooting and writing for an automotive E Zine. I was at a show in Texas and there was what had once been one sweet '50 Merc. I shot it because we had an oddball and sleeper issue coming up. I won't bore you with all the details, but needless to say that the chop and drop was impeccable. The owner had turned it into a pro streeter all the way to the lame assed tunnel rammed 454 between the frame horns. The engine itself was a thing of beauty, everything was done to '90s style performance perfection. under the hood of that old custom it was as fucked up as Hogan's goat.

You comprehend what I am endeavoring to convey, correct?

murfman, volvobrynk and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  20. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"pork chop at a bar mitzvah"....now that I have to write down. Thanks Beaner!

Hotrodmyk and volvobrynk like this.
  21. Not traditional but I’m running an injected original Boss 302 in our roadster. 01-27-16_4.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Maybe to the lame duck.
    Not traditional, sheesh.
    If I wasn't a Chevy motor kinda guy, I'd have a Boss in my roadster.

porknbeaner and Deuce-Deano like this.
  23. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I picked up a lame engine this weekend. Pfft, it's not even the big one. Total loser!

[​IMG]

24. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

And my point is SO WHAT. At least it is a Rod and not a 10 year old Camry. What you are saying is "My fashion sense is better than yours. Therefore I am better than you". BS. It is condescending as hell.

wraymen, Dooley and '51 Norm like this.
  25. LOL I am a Chevy motor guy and the absolute only thing that keeps me from running a Boss is lack of liquid assets.

Actually your statement us just as condescending, its just a matter of perspective. :rolleyes:

26. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

No it is not. This whole thread was started so the OP could make fun of Rods that do not conform to the OPs idea of fashion. The whole idea is condescending, rude and just not cool. No perspective needed. We all know how much time, money and work it takes to get to the point where you can actually get on the road. Do you want to shame the guys with "Lame Power Plants" so they keep the Rod in the garage until they have it presentable to the HAMB Approval Authority? To me it is the same as teasing the poor kid in school for not having the cool shoes or the correct name brand clothes. Not cool.

i.rant and Asphalt Angel like this.
  27. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Ya know this whole thing reminds me of the retired busy bodies down at the HOA.

28. flynstone

flynstone

well I thought it was a good thread till the drama kicked in........

Dan Hay likes this.
  29. X2 on that, but if this tread doesn't float ya boat just move on to the next one. Its great that we don't all think the same way. JW

30. Tell that to a kid with a 10 year old Camry. You obviously think that his brand of cloths isn't as good as your brand of cloths.

nitrobrother and Blues4U like this.