Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Toronto Ontario Survivor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod36, Feb 3, 2016.

1. hotrod36

hotrod36

1955 T’Bird named “Scorchy”

The original owner of this 1955 Thunderbird was Gordon Dennis O’Hara who bought it new in 1956 when he was 18 after the Ford dealer (Kennedy Motors?) kept it as a demo for a full year. He drove this car for a year before starting modifications. The car lived and went through its transformation in Oakville, Ontario.

At age 19, Gord bought a new 368 cubic inch Lincoln Y-block crate engine from the Ford dealer and the transformation started. The original 292 T’Bird engine was installed in a ’55 Ford that he bought off a neighbour with a blown engine.

The T’Bird known as “Scorchy” went through its modifications between 1957 and 1961 and still wears the red lacquer paint and custom interior that was applied in the late 50’s.

Modifications include frenched headlights, custom front bumper, flared rear wheel wells, ’55 Merc wagon taillights, nosed, decked, and the gas door removed. At the same time, the interior was completed by Tony Macri’s T.M. Custom Auto Upholstering at 365 Dupont St., Toronto, in pearl white tuck and roll with vertical pleats in the door panels and kick panels, and silver flakes on a red carpet.

“Scorchy” was entered in the 1962 Autorama where it placed first in its class. About a year later, the car went into storage and remained out of sight for 50 years!

The car was built by Gord O’Hara and cruised the streets with 305 hp and 415 foot pounds of torque in the late ‘50s and early ‘60s, a sleeper in its time. It is a true survivor, untouched since being built, wearing 15 coats of red lacquer by Lonsdale Garage at 335 Lonsdale Rd., Toronto, and all body work done in lead.

I was asked to appraise the car in 2009 after Gord O’Hara passed away. That’s when I fell in love with it. Five years later, I am the proud owner of this amazing documented piece of Ontario history. And if all that doesn’t blow your mind, this 1955 Ford T’Bird has 6,100 original miles.”

“Scorchy” will be on display at the Motorama Custom Car & Motorsport Expo at the International Centre in Toronto, March 11-13, 2016 (416-962-7223). I would love to hear from anyone who remembers “Scorchy” and especially from anyone who has photos of this car at the 1962 Autorama. You can email me at [email protected] or call me 905 706 5876

Jamie

Attached Files:

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

She's a beauty...great history lesson & thanks for sharing.

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Really nice T Bird, hopefully you will get her out and put some serious miles on it and really enjoy it.
    6,100 miles is a nice bragging point, but it means that the car was never really used and enjoyed for what it is.

4. hotrod36

hotrod36

I was lucky enough to drive it already and have had some enjoyment. Unfortunately way too much slat on the roads to drive it now. To be honest, having only 6100 miles on it, makes the overall condition amazing. I can;t believe how well it has been preserved over the years. The interior is flawless still.

5. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Thats gorgeous...nice find!

6. damit....nice...enjoy !

7. Jamie-You lucky Dawg! Good find-real nice custom-cool local history

8. guy1unico

guy1unico

I love that 55 bird...chrome reversed rims!

9. alchemy

alchemy

That is about as perfect as a Tbird can get! Even better that it was done all those years ago. A real treasure you've found.

10. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

That car is too cool! The big Lincoln engine, the chrome reverse steelies, the really mild bodywork. The thing is a great example of a street car from the early 60's. I hope you blast all over in it this summer

11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Those taillights are priceless. What a beautiful car.
    It's great to "save" old customs.

12. hotrod36

hotrod36

I am a lucky dawg. See you at Motorama in March

13. hotrod36

hotrod36

I actually added the chrome reverse rims. The car had 670 x 15 bias plys with 55 Meteor hubcaps when I got it.

14. hotrod36

hotrod36

Thanks, greatly appreciated

15. hotrod36

hotrod36

I plan on laying down a few rubber patches, hopefully the Radar slicks aren't too sticky lol.

16. hotrod36

hotrod36

I'm glad I had the opportunity to save it also. Other than pertronics, and the hydraulic brakes being replaced. She is in as found mechanical condition. The only cosmetic change was the wheels and tires. Kind of hard driving around on 50 year old bias plys.

17. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That is probably the best-looking early Tbird I've ever seen. Love the '55s with no fender vents and no portholes in the top. That is absolutely gorgeous. You should take it to the Lone Star Roundup. ;) :D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Smooth Bird, very nicely done must have been stored in the living room!..Be careful with the slicks though as the rear axle would be a weak point but may never be an issue..

19. hotrod36

hotrod36

I would love to, but wouldn't be able to take the time off work. Maybe convince my dad to tow it down for the weekend.

20. hotrod36

hotrod36

Surprisingly enough it was stored in a non heated garage all these years. I figure it had to be heated, but just going with what I was told. Thanks

21. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

I lived in that end of town but do not recall the car. That said it is beautiful and I hope you get to add another 6100 miles. Very nice.

22. Wow.....what a beautiful T-Bird.....perfect mild Kustom

23. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Very tasteful mild custom - shows you don't need to do much to a T-bird to make it stand out!
    How does the Lincoln engine affect the handling? Is it a lot heavier than the 292? I haven't seen many early customs with Lincoln powerplants.

24. hotrod36

hotrod36

Thanks,

25. hotrod36

hotrod36

It drives nice to me, I'm not to sure how well it would do on a course but on the street I don't notice any difference

26. hotrod36

hotrod36

I'll called a few people to try and track info down on it but know one recalls the car. I'll keep trying

27. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

That is amazing. Nice for us to appreciate such a well preserved, well done custom. Also profoundly sad that the original owner, for whatever reason didn't drive this car and enjoy the power he added, and the custom touches he did. I wonder if people told him that five grand was way too much to have in a car and it was "too valuable to drive"?

28. Thanks for sharing

29. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Jamie have you tried to contact anyone at the Roadmates in Mississauga? The other possibility is Bob McJanet from Performance Improvements in Etobicoke, he has a great memory.