Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest California trip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by milwscruffy, Feb 4, 2016.

1. I'll be heading out to Chino , CA March 17th-23rd 2016 doing the vacation thing. The only plans as of now are the NHRA and Petersen museums. If anyone knows of any happening's going on within say 100 mile radius feel free to let me know. Not looking for any big shows, maybe a couple shop tours and local weekly shows. Thanks Scruffy

Update : Senior moment on my behalf, we'll be in Chino, not Chico. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  2. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Scruff....8 + hour drive from chico to peterson museum. ..
    Better bet from chico...hot rods to hell...great shop to visit. .a bit north of chico..
    Maybe san Francisco. ...
    Brizio in so .San Francisco. .
    Etc..

3. tex1935

tex1935

GoodGuys in Pleasanton , March 19 -20

milwscruffy likes this.
  4. I'll let my event planner know that, was going on his word. :eek::eek: Yep, trying to keep things down to one day round trips. Thanks for the help, I'll look them up.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Chico is the home of the World's Fastest Roadster at Vintage Hot Rod Design & Fabrication -
    vintagehotrod.com - Sacramento Vintage Ford in Rancho Cordova - vintageford.com

6. Thanks man...

7. toml24

toml24

You must go to the Donut Derelicts Car Show in Huntington Beach on Saturday morning from 5:30am to 8:30am at the corner of Adams and Magnolia. This is the best FREE car show on the West coast with 250 vintage cars and trucks of all types.
    Also, the
    Automobile Driving Museum
    610 Lairport Street (correct spelling)
    El Segundo, CA. 90245
    Don't be put off by the plain drab brick facade. The ADM is an excellent museum. It's open Tuesday through Sunday 10:00am through 4:00pm. This is a non-profit museum and $10.00 is asked at the door.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

tom124 - he is going to be in Chico - North of Sacramento

9. toml24

toml24

In his own words he's coming South to the NHRA and Peterson Museums.......

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Renovated Petersen was GREAT! Plan on spending the extra money for the Vault Tour. Bob DSCF1176.JPG

11. Okay to prove I've never been there I was off by one letter, We'll be staying in Chino, CA not Chico. Funny the distance between one little letter. I know , Fooking tourists ! :mad:

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Chico ?- Chino ?- hey, they are in the same "small" State

milwscruffy likes this.
  13. RmK57

RmK57

milwscruffy likes this.
  14. Special Ed

Special Ed

15. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't miss Sunday breakfast at Flo's Cafe, right on Chino Airport. Kind of an older run-down looking place at the time, but with great food. Used to be a great fly-place for pilots in SoCal, including me. But that was lots of years ago, I don't know if they are still open.

milwscruffy likes this.
  16. Hard for me to imagine Chino as a vacation destination. When I was a kid it was nothing but dairy farms and a prison. What the heck is there now?

17. rfraze

rfraze

You can enjoy breakfast at Flo's any day. Rod Shops in the area include SoCal, Walden, (what are the brothers names who have focused on traditional builds for 20 years?), and (Terry) Stokers new shop in Upland. Don't miss Tropical Mexico while in Pomona. More great food.
    Get someone to tell you how to take the canyon road between Chino and the 57 Fwy.

milwscruffy likes this.
  18. Thanks for the help fella's !

19. Scruffy,

You should start a new thread. A lot of people probably read this thread and decided that they couldn't help with "Chico". They will probably not come back. Put "Chino" in the title of your new thread.

Charlie Stephens

20. j3harleys

j3harleys

Kennedy brothers in the same area. we hit all those last week plus Lucky's and Old Crow and others. we stayed at the best western pine tree inn in Chino very nice and inexpensive. There is no sign to let you know its the Kennedy Brothers shop. Oh yea early Ford store in san Dimas is great. have a great time

milwscruffy likes this.
  21. rfraze

rfraze

That's it. Thanks harleys. Just remembered Thursday night drags at Irwindale, something like 1.5 miles south of the 210 off of 605.

22. Think I already have enough ideas for a 6 day stop. But a good idea for sure.

23. The guy I'll be staying by, his kid works at Irwindale, so we for sure already have that penciled in.

24. Free lodging and beer, what can I say ?

25. rfraze

rfraze

Chino is "adjacent". Not really the land of milk and honey, especially now that many of the dairies have moved for urban sprawl.
    Here is a journey I used to call "The Grease Tour". It could start and end at the original Bob's Big Boy Friday cruise night on Riverside Dr. in Toluca Lake off the 134. Then to Tommy's Burgers (Rampart and Beverly- LA) and a burger experience like no other. They never close, so have no windows or doors. Next to another never-closer, Pinks Hot Dogs (Hollywood landmark - Melrose and LaBrea), then west on Melrose for a dose of wild., north to Sunset, east to 101, left to Hollywood Way, right back to Bob's.
    If you get out on west side near 405 and Washington, Tito's Tacos!

26. Thanks, now I'm hungry !

27. Thanks for all the help, we managed The Peterson & NHRA Museum's, Hollywood Hot Rods, Bob's Big Boy on a Friday night, So-Cal Speed Shop, Walden's and Moon. Not to mention 2 1/2 days in Lake Havasu, AZ. It was a whirlwind week to say the least.

28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

29. 100_0356.JPG 100_0356.JPG 100_0357.JPG 100_0358.JPG 100_0359.JPG 100_0360.JPG 100_0361.JPG 100_0382.JPG

Only took the camera to the NHRA Museum, Peterson cars were too upscale for me. Wanted to be respectful to the various shops in case there was something being built they didn't want photographed. Hollywood Hot Rods was by far had the most impressive builds going on. Had to add one AZ sunset just cause...