Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My Project....1938 Fiat Topolino.....Lil Beast...........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Topolino Kid, Jan 30, 2010.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Whats a "switcher"? Local route/short haul?

2. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Glad to hear your working again. Also you didn't have to let the beast go. Congrats on both.

OahuEli likes this.
  3. Thats good news! Glad to see you back.

4. Also pleased to hear good news on work and Lil Beast. Mark, was there ever abuild thread on the Wee Tee? JW

5. A CAM01127.jpg switcher is used generally at large shipping docks...they move trailers around without having to raise dolly legs .....it has a hydraulic lift deck that raises the fifth wheel plate...not made for distance, although some are dot legal...for ruining down the road short distances. .

loudbang likes this.
  6. No JW, I never did aWeeTee thread..list pictures when phone crashed

7. loudbang

loudbang

Great news glad you get to keep it.

8. 2 for one shot... 1454592034219.jpg

9. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to see you landed on your feet! Now lets get back to the build....LOL!

10. Working on it.....or to quote a fav.,."Shakin it boss" .,...lol

loudbang likes this.
  11. Picked up three 5 speed trans tonite....Joe said it was super clean n tight when he took it apart. ...found that it was what he called a bad install of 5th gear synchro. ...everything else new...we talked and he knows how humid my garage gets...n i haven't moved Beast since Milan dragway trip...gonna pull the rotated bellhousing and see if clutch disc is stuck to the flywheel..otherwise it'll be on Tilton n the bearing... 1454632048372.jpg

loudbang and OahuEli like this.
  12. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Get it done!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Had a "D'oh" moment when I saw that picture. :confused: Worked on a couple in the late '70s that had 548? c.i. International gas engines in them. The cab seemed about two feet wide. Thanks for the answer.

14. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

any news on the beast Mark? Just wondering how things are going for you.

15. Wow, Bob.....things have been rolling along just a bit quicker then id like...been dealing with the mess at my Cleves house...in the wife wondered why i didn't rent it out all theses years...
    Then yesterday i got laid off with a few others...up side its been slow n I've been in the process of getting into Meijers as lead master mechanic..did putet work today for the background check....they want me, just jumping thru the hoops...and its union, so layoffs shouldn't be an issue.....
    Lil Beast....picked up a plunge mic from Bob's brother todsy...going to setup bearing in the morning...then grey the cross member reworked to be bolt in removable...and playing with some pipe to get some exhaust under him..nothing fancy, but tired of open manifolds...Any LUCK, i might be able to make the Milian Dragway event this Saturday....sorry i lost the pics from last fall...we'll see...hopefuly the bearing had weepedoff due to a bad 90 in the plumbimg...we'll see

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  16. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

That's great hope you get the job. I know all about being a landlord. Rented out half my house for 18 years (what a nightmare) felt like the world was lifted off my shoulders when the last tenant moved out and I turned the house into a single family home. happy days since. glad all is well with you. keep us posted.

17. Also glad things are looking up Mark, good luck with the new job...and everything else.:cool::D JW

18. Well it turns when we setup the Tilton bearing last time, it wasn't gapped properly...old bob Floyd the measuring as u doesn't have glasses n couldn't read the Mic...turns out
    the front input shaft support cap
    needed machining so that the air gap
    for the bearing could be
    propper...long story short, i filed on
    it till my fingers hurt...then
    remembered i had another old t-5
    trans laying. .pulled support cap off
    it and cleaned it up,,,,no fileing
    required..in-store trans last nite...now to get motor/trans center n start fabrication on cross member..slow progress, but still progress...adds i still need to order better lines n fitting for bearing. ..suit Sey a chromed 90 elbow, n it'a leaker....
    But for the first time, i can get into 5 th gear

loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  19. Not much progress on Lil Beast..back to work. Former employer called asked if id come back..just an update.... 1468981551622.jpg

Sent from my LGMS428 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Thanks for the update Mark and great to hear you are still moving forward. Neat pic too.:cool::cool::cool::D JW

21. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Looks like "The Bantam Boys" paid you a visit.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. Part of The north American Bantam club was inn town...talked with The owner of one of these 2 about a body....Price is right, waiting for them to get home n send pics....they stopped by to see Lil Beast..."A steel fiat topolino",ad they said.
    1469078640855.jpg 1469078651922.jpg 1469078669249.jpg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  23. They are as cute as a cute thing !!:cool::cool: JW

loudbang likes this.
  24. Well I've been laying out the trans crossmember for too long......changed how it was to be 3 times.and came up with this.... 1470193495239.jpg

Simple setup....bracket gets welded and a gusset, crossmember gets bolted to it...have too tweak both brackets a hair...then weld em up where i cut a relief in them to make them fold up with a crease....i post more pics as i go...mocked up so as to trim crossmember to fit...will do other side tomorrow...then drop car on tires and check engine trans height for proper angles pinion and motor ..have it close on the stands, but guessing on tire compression... 1470193931847.jpg 1470193931847.jpg

loudbang, 26 T Ford RPU and mad mikey like this.
  25. Thanks Mike....just got to the point of "Do It"....wanting to tie up some loose ends...get back to the body....and Lil Beast hasn't been to cobo basement in a couple of years.me n the wife have been, but it's a hell of a good time when ya take
    your hot rod......live rumbling in and out of the basement...the hemi sounds good running along Attwater...

26 T Ford RPU and loudbang like this.
  26. loudbang

loudbang

Hey you are making progress and at least you still have it. :rolleyes:

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  27. Yes, any progress is moving forward and also very glad for you Mark that you still have Lil Beast:cool::cool: JW

Topolino Kid likes this.
  28. Come home tonite, open garage n see Lil Beast down on the ground on all 4 again...been hovering. around the garage since feb....

Dropped him down last nite to double check trans to pinion angles, and carb mounting surface angle...everything is 1st mocked in place...will scribe location and break down, grind off my frame paint then track and recheck...should be ready to bleed tilton bearing system...if no issues there, will call us willy cause we'll be on the road again
    1470709913678.jpg 1470709930384.jpg

loudbang likes this.