Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rear End Advise needed (Equa Lock 9")

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lewk, Feb 4, 2016.

1. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

It's time get my rear in gear getting my rear gears geared up in the rear... gear....

I'm building a '35 5 Window Ford. I've got a 283 with a T-10 and will probably run 7.50 16's in the back. I've got a mid 60's Bronco 9" with a 28 spline Equa Lock limited slip and 3:50 gears. The Equa Lock slips, it needs to be gone through. I've got one good axle and one bent. I'm getting a fixture together to check and then straighten the housing if need be.

Question 1: Is the Equa Lock even worth messing with or should I sell it to a restorer and buy a new Trac Loc? Equa Lock parts seem scarce and expensive.

Question 2: Is 3:50 enough gear? Should I be thinking about 4:11 with those tall tires and that little Chevy?

Question 3: If I replace the diff and I need to replace one axle anyway, should I step up to 31 splines?

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1. TrueTrac, hands down.
    2. 3.73:1 or 4.11:1. Probably 4.11:1.
    3. Not necesary, unless you are planning on future big torque, and sticky tires.

There are plenty of offroad shops that can sell you a take-out replacement shaft. Broncograveyard.com comes to mind.

3. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

^ Agreed. what he said...

4. squirrel

squirrel

Gear ratio...depends on how you're going to drive the car. The 3.50s will be a bit sluggish compared to 3.70 or 3.89 or 4.11, but will be more highway friendly. With the small engine and tall tires, more gear is going to give you a more fun drive around town.

But we don't know what your priorities are. Maybe you don't yet, either.

5. yep make that 3 of us.

the big stuff is overkill for what is currently being built. ;)

6. True-trac is way better. I would run the 3.50 gears if you plan much highway cruising. Sure the 283 can take the rpms fine with 4.11, but you will be more enjoyable drive with the reduced rpm. 28 spline is very sufficient, no need for 31, although if you want the extra torque capacity now is the time to do it.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My concern would be off-the-line performance, rather than freeway driving. The car will be fairly light, though.

Anytime I see small engine, tall tire, and a ratio in the mid-3's an alarm goes off. IIRC that tire is ~31" tall.

The upside is, even after a carrier swap, with the backlash re-set properly, he can just try out the 3.50:1 gears, as they would already be in there. There is no cost to it. If they work fine for his driving pattern, then the job is done.

8. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Thanks for the input guys. I'll look into True-Tracs. I'm after an around the town kind of car. I want to make some noise and leave some rubber stripes on the road here and there. I'm in a big state with 80mph speed limits but I've got other cars for distance stuff. I want a quick car with a little engine.

9. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

Yes! Then gear that thing! Ought to bark rubber in 3rd.

lewk and gimpyshotrods like this.
  10. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I like the sound of that.