Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1930 Tudor Sedan, My first build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by LuckyFord, Dec 8, 2015.

1. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

@mlagusis
    Ya the previous owner welded those brackets in. I'm thinking about cutting them out. I've had to redo everything else the previous owner did, why not huh!

2. LTM75110

LTM75110

Looking good,Will be watching.

3. mlagusis

mlagusis

It might be easier to have a new main leaf spring made to fit the width of the brackets. That's alot of cutting and welding. I bet a new main spring leaf may cost $100 +/-. Worth the money if you consider the time spent to correct the bracket location plus the risk of warping the axle. If you do go that route, I would double check and make sure the brackets are laid out correct.

4. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

@LTM75110 Thanks
    @mlagusis Thanks, I like that idea. I will have to do some research on where I can get one made.

5. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

Interesting. I made the order based on their description. Turns out the picture just didn't match up. Here is what came. Oh and it said sold individually, ended up with two pair. So just a fyi they do have them for $4.50 a set.

6. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

7. Well at least you got the right parts and they were cheep. Now why can't the King Pins come with them in the kit like they used to?
    The Wizzard

8. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

9. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

Again! One thing leads to another. I fixed the above problem with new spring from posies. Big difference in springs, the shackles hang right and suspension isn't binding anymore. So all that is great but it lowered the car another 2 inches past what I was expecting. Now I will have to either c notch the frame in rear or rework the rear cross member again! Question now is, how much clearance is needed between axle and frame in the rear? I have 1.5" now and just me bouncing on it goes down to .75" 20160125_161242.jpg

10. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

Does anyone have any input on what the minimum clearance would be between rear axle and frame?

11. The ideal minimum that I've read about on a multitude of other posts is 3". My sedan has about 2.5"-2.75".

1.5" will not be enough for a street driven car.

1927graham likes this.
  12. Great project. I know what you're going through with the rear spring situation as I am too. I also checked the HAMB for answers 'till my eyes bled and everybody had a different answer. My plan was to tac weld in my mounts and put the suspension together to see where everything sat. After sitting on it's suspension for 3 days, the spring sagged to the point where I had contact as several points. At least that gave me a reference point to work from.
    I'm using Speedway rear spring mounts/perches and mine is too low like yours. Somebody here on the HAMB told me the Pete and Jakes mounts mount the spring a little higher. I haven't been able to find an illustration or measurements of their mounts to verify this. I'm thinking I'll just use my buddy's plasma cutter to make up my own mounts.
    Keep us informed of your solution to this problem.. Don't let this setback slow you down....it's totally normal to redo other guy's [and sometimes your own] work...just part of the process.

13. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

Thank you. I have been looking but never have any luck with the search function here!

14. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

Thank you. Everything seems to fit right now with the new spring bolted in. It just changed my final ride height. I did also notice that someone had removed a leaf or two from that old spring, but the spring was just wrong for the perch measurement. I am going to notch the frame for clearance, the front is notched, it will be lowest ride height possible without z in frame. I am geared for 30- 33 inch tall tires in rear, just looks funny right now sitting on those trash tires. The tires in pictures are only 25 inches tall. The tires on my profile pic are 33 inch.

15. When building rear suspension I give 3.5" total travel past static ride height. Then add 32 Ford rubber bumps to the frame above rear Axle housing. That gives 3" total drop before making contact with the rubber. So far that's been working very well.
    The Wizzard

LuckyFord likes this.
  16. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

Thanks. That's a great idea. I live in the sticks and there is a lot of rough roads, bump stops may get used.

17. You can buy the Bump Stop rubbers from Dennis Carpenter and Bob Drake. They come in pairs and are Cheep.
    The Wizzard

18. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

Pushed her out to do some shop cleaning. Its amazing how different of a view you get outside versus right up on it all the time in the shop.
    20160131_154859.jpg 20160131_154710.jpg

papajohn likes this.
  19. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

WELL , you have a lot of help ??? but to much HORSE in a round YOU GOT to get back working on the car its looking good it takes time - don't gave up keep picking at it & soon you will be ZOOM ZZZOOMM it - HAVE - FUN - :D:D:D:p:p:cool::cool::cool:

LuckyFord likes this.
  20. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

OOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo THE GARAGE LOOKKKK BBBUUUUTTTTFFFFUUULLL-- YOU ARE GOING TO FUN

21. Hay,,, now your talking. Looks like a Hot Rod to me. Keep up the good work.
    The Wizzard

22. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

23. And by the way,,,,,,,NICE SHOP!!

24. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

@Pist-n-Broke Thanks. I'm very proud of it, have always wanted my own place to work. I built most of it myself. It has a closed in and insulated office area with bathroom in the back that used to be a portable building. Just added the concrete and metal building to the front of it. The metal building people would not do doors that close together, told me it would not work, so I did it myself. Its all air conditioned now,of coarse, and heated with a little antique fireplace. Next project is LED lighting, the shop lights suck being up that high.

25. I just love builders that say "it can't be done" when I throw out something different. My reply is always, You mean YOU can't do it, that don't mean it Can't be done. That goes on all the time, what a Lame answer. I'm not totally up on LED lights but back when I built my place it was an issue also. My ceilng is 17.5 feet tall. I couldn't have lights hanging down to the work space with a Bus and Stacker being parked inside. The answer was 4' long 6 tube T-5 ho lights with a ultra high polished S.S. reflectors behind the tubes. They work grate.
    The Wizzard

LuckyFord likes this.
  26. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

This is a great thread! Any updates LuckyFord?

27. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

@woodsnwater Thanks. Unfortunately there hasn't been much progress. I run an air conditioning company in central Texas, so as soon as people start using their air my free time is gone. I mainly work on it during winters. I did post another short thread as I was figuring out the rear window chop and piecing back the rear of the car. I started setting up the new rear frame notches to finish out the chassis, but now she is all cleaned up and sitting for the summer.
    Here is the other thread
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/opinions-on-rear-window-chop.1004938/#post-11378020

28. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

Thinking about selling her. Would love if someone could help me figure out what it should sell for.

29. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

SOLD. Sad to see it go but very happy it went to a HAMB member!
    Congratulations to @Cirelli the new owner!

Cirelli likes this.
  30. Cirelli

Cirelli
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

30A.jpg Thanks Johnny. I appreciate the deal & I will try to take very good care of this little jewel. It was a pleasure to meet you & very unusual in today's times to meet a young fellow with his head on straight. I think you are a fine man, I wish you the very best in your new endeavors.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    slv63 likes this.