Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How do I adjust 37 Ford mechanical brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vin Man, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Vin Man

Vin Man

Thanks. I went to So Cal Arizona today to pick up the puller they agreed to lend me. When I got there, I reminded them I had the wide 5 pattern and the puller they offered was not going to work. Everyone agreed with Petejoe's post - loosen the hub and drop the car over the curb.

They are very helpful at So Cal. Frank explained that the problem I have with not being able to stop the car is more likely related to old, hard linings than it is brake adjustment. He suggested pulling the linings and hubs, getting the linings resurfaced with soft lining, and then getting them arched to match the drum.

As always, yet another job turning out to be a lot bigger than I had planned on. The joys of owning old cars...

2. You need to pull from the grove in the snout of the rear hub, not the lug bolts. Remember it is cheaper to buy a good puller than ruin an axle and or hub. Renting is even cheaper. Remember if they come off easy they weren't on tight enough.

Charlie Stephens

3. Vin Man

Vin Man

I have not yet found the puller that is shown in the service bulletin. I need one like this but they don't have it at local auto parts stores.
    [​IMG]
    An earlier poster suggested Van Pelts. Ebay has one for $70.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

5. Vin Man

Vin Man

While I also ordered mine off of eBay, I got a different style - the cup style. I wish I would have seen this one when I did my search as I like the design that does not put the pressure on the threaded shaft end. The one you show hear instead puts the pressure on a steel plate.

I will carefully use mine when it gets delivered - hopefully by Saturday.

6. Vin Man

Vin Man

Just a quick update:
    I was able to remove the front hubs and inspect the brakes (see photos above). The puller for the rear drums has not yet arrived. However, I got the car up on a lift and did a thorough inspection of the brake system. My issue is the car is very difficult to stop.
    From what I can see, the cable to the front brakes are extremely loose. The adjustment for cable tension is maxed out so I need to find another way to tighten those cables. I need to look at it some more - hoping there is a way to adjust the pivot. If not, then I'm considering cutting and re-clamping the cables to a shorter length. Makes me a little nervous to cut and rely on a clamp.
    Last option is to purchase new cables - may be the best option.

7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Let me be the one to suggest you go to hydraulic brakes. Its not that complicated. The best option in my book.

8. Vin Man

Vin Man

Yes, I appreciate that. Ideally I would not only go to juice brakes, but also standard 5 x5.5 wheel hubs and bolt pattern to allow for different rim choices. Right now, I'm on a budget.

Petejoe likes this.
  9. Vin Man

Vin Man

Well, it cost a bit more than I had hoped, but I now have working mechanical brakes.
    One of my cables was broken and had to be replaced. A lot of the parts needed lube. All the shoes had to be re-lined and arched.
    But, now the car stops well.

Frank Carey likes this.
  10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

The safety of steel, from pedal to wheel!

sorry

11. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

anyone need complete frnt & rear 37 mech. brakes?? call me, you pay postage, thining the heard...