Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical installing a y-block in my 1953 ford, what radiator should i use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SMOKINFLATHEAD, Feb 2, 2016.

1. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

I am working on an engine swap. I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion on the best radiator to use. Cost is always a factor, but I would think a 54-56 ford radiator would bolt in without issue. Is this true. Also, who is a good supplier, with a good product? Any input would be valuable. Thanks.

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

You could use the same radiator in the car by having a radiator shop change and eliminate the outlet and inlet locations.

3. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

I'm not sure that the radiator in the car is the original, if so it would need to be rebuilt anyway. I was wondering if I were to buy a new radiator, what would be the best way to go.

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 53 Ford was originally going to get the first y-block but not enough nickel was available because of the Korean War. If you can see a 54 Ford, look at its rad mount. A 54 thru 56 uses the same one. I have a 56 radiator which is almost new. Less than 1 yr old. I was having cooling problems with mine over heating and replaced it with a larger one. It didn't help. I put on a smaller water pump pulley and fixed the problem. (common fix). US Radiator in Vernon made it. I'll sell it for $150. I live in Orange County..I can give you measurements if you like.. Good Luck..

5. Dry Lakes Racer

Dry Lakes Racer
    from So Cal

I'm the same guy. Jimmy Six....Email me at [email protected] and I'll give you all the dimensions and hole mounting locations and a photo I'll take tomorrow. I'm on a different computer. It is a stock type not aluminum. not sure on the rows without looking. There is a lot of concern about rows verses the width of the tubes and how many fins are attached. this was told me by the guys at US Radiator in Vernon. They actually go by another name in all the magazines like "Drive". I wouldn't have removed it because it was just installed during the restoration on the Ford I bought. Found out about the idling problem and the slow pulley later.