Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What The Hell Just Happened?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I'm so used to seeing cars that are somewhat over the top, or sightly exaggerated, win the AMBR award, that in my opinion this no-nonsense '32 looked just to simple to win. I'm not saying that it isn't well deserved, as any car built by a guy and his friends is cool in my book. But I must say that I also thought, "what the hell?" because my brain was primed to see Jon Wright's "Tribute" win based purely on an aesthetic "over the top" standpoint, as that's the type of car I've always seen win.

I'm happy for Darryl and the Taulberts and the others involved in Darryl's build. It gives hope to guys that drive their cars and dispells the myth that you "need x or y or x+y+$" in order to win. Just build a clean car with some tasteful details, and you've got a chance. Way to go!

2. Burny

Burny

Beautiful...

Is that a SBC I see under the hood?

3. [​IMG]

This car was also a contender for the AMBR in 2013. It now has 27000 miles on the clock. Real guys and real cars that get driven!!!! Congrats to this years AMBR winner!!!!!

4. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Hand made hand driven. Congrtas

5. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Well put Ryan... I was amazed and so stoked that finally a pure traditional car won.

6. Not a 'big name guy'. He just paints the cars for most of them. :)

Just got my TRJ in the mail today with the feature of this car, and it's on the cover. I guess I better go an dread it and see what all the fuss is about. :)

Congrats, Darryl and Terri. WELL deserved.

mctim64 likes this.
  7. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

I was lucky to meet Darryl and Terri at Indy a few years back. They were so down to earth just regular Rodders. Congrats on the win. Car looks beautiful hope I can see it somewhere this year. I also see Sid Chavers did the interior. Got to meet him also. He is also very down to earth and does fantastic work.

8. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Fantastic, it was my choice too. Congrats to all involved!

9. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

The first time I saw his car I said "that's it, I quit" I mean with a car that has achieved perfection why continue in this crazy assed hobby anyway. it floored me, stopped me dead in my tracks and then I found out that he had just driven it to Texas and back. Seriously!!!! this guy must be freaking god himself.
    I purposely fell off the planet this weekend and banned social media knowing I would hate myself for not attending the GNRS. What a good Monday morning treat this is to see. I am inspired yet again by this car and the Hobby as a whole. Carry on.

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Hell yeah......

11. Rotten Avocado Green is what Darryl calls it. If that helps? :)

autobilly and HEMI32 like this.
  12. Congrats to Darryl and Terri. I followed the build on Instagram and it was cool to see it come together. Great car and definitely cool to see a car like this win the award. I do find it a little odd (not exactly sure the words I am looking for ) that this car is kind of being represented like it wasn't built by some of the best in the industry. Yeah maybe Darryl didn't take it to a shop and pay to have it built but anyone else who would have paid to have all the people work on the car that did, including Darryl himself, would have paid a pretty penny to build the same car. It just seems weird to me and kind of disingenuous to portray the car as a "homebuilt." I get the sentiment but to me it would kind of be like saying I built a guitar with my friends who happened to be Leo Fender, Seymour Duncan and Ernie Ball.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    Atwater Mike, Larry T, seadog and 3 others like this.
  13. patterg2003

patterg2003

Congratulations to everyone who worked on that great car. An understated elegance with real craftsmanship. It is good to see normal people win.

It is difficult to relate to cars that owners have commissioned with no limits to compete against one another. It is easy to relate to the HAMB community as it is a lot of great people doing extraordinary work with their own minds & hands. It is inspiring to see a flat sheet become an intricate quarter panel, floors, patches, deck lid or roof. Hambers putting back the bottom foot of an old car pulled out of a field with parts made in their garage or bringing several chunks of cars together to build a great car that makes everyone proud. A community of talented & sharing builders that is a place to call home.

ClarkH and Speedwrench like this.
  14. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Great car,understated perfectly.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

I have been lucky to have worked on 2 Ridler winners and 1 AMBR winner. I know how hard it is to find time to work on your own car. To have built a car this nice and still be able to work on customer cars is amazing. I know he thanks all of his friends and family for giving their time.

16. It's a custom mix that Daryl came up with ... He named it "Rotten Avocado Green".

The color doesn't photograph very accurately ... It's a whole different color in person ... and defintley takes on brownish or greenish tones depending on the lighting conditions (sunshine, overcast, artificial lighting, etc.).

I admit to not really caring for the color when I first saw it on Daryl's Instagram feed ... but a few weeks later, I saw the car in person ... Wow!!! ... Simply Bitchin'!!!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    383deuce likes this.
  17. verde742

verde742

I haven't seen it in real person,, looks like a great car !!
    but the color looks like a WW ll staff car..:rolleyes:

Atwater Mike and falcongeorge like this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Over the years there were cars that took the AMBR title and they were the kind of car that usually elicited statements like "It's gonna be tough to top this one" and "this car has turned the hot rod world on it's head" or "hell would freeze over before a driven car will ever win the big one again".
    This car just turned the "show car" world on it's head.
    Bravo guys.

flatheadpete and Hamtown Al like this.
  19. verde742

verde742

s'plain more please,
    if you think it's not "about the cars" that bring you together,
    SELL YER CAR,
    And see how many people come around, or show interest in watching you pick yer nose..:(
    Get another car,, circle increases, car friends return, tools get borrowed, hoists get used, jokes get told, relationships return. Car trips return, invites, re-established.:D
    And that is life, Bowlers hang around bowlers, boaters around boaters, fishermen around fisherman,, Cheater around cheaters, drinkers around drinkers.
    Accept it. Its life.:)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    hotrod1940 likes this.
  20. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

It feels good even from Florida,to see that one win,that is really nice.
    I go to shows in my state to have fun talking to buddys ,that is nearly the only time we get to see each other,and show some of the new guys what old hotrods were like,with my own old rod. Mostly over the last 30 or so years, those giving out the trophys don't know what to look for and trophys go to what ever is a super max high$ thing. The shows that have any rules,many don't, have odd rules to me,wish I could find a old copy of show class rules from the late 50s or early 60s,to show a few of our newer promotors,just seemed they made better class brakedowns back then.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

So well done.

22. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

That car is perfect, but I'm surprised anybody likes the color. It just looks brown on my screen. Maybe a need a new monitor.

23. NoSurf

NoSurf

Awesome.

Maybe your spreading of the gospel is working.

24. I am very excited to see that a REAL HOT ROD, built by a regular hot rod guy and his friends has won. A car that is driven and enjoyed. Congrats to all involved, the car is very well done, and not over done.

25. chargin03

chargin03

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations on a job well done by all involved. Quite an honour...and yes a beautiful traditional hotrod. Thumbs up.

27. petsco

petsco
    from Utah

Bitchin car! Totally agree with all responses about being "regular guy built and driven". That's what this all about!!

28. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Best Hot Rod Story of the decade as far as I am concerned!

29. nice!
    how are the cars judged? point system? certain criteria? a committee? or by spectator vote like the nhl all star game?