Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Daughters versus sons and autos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CapeCodBob, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I only have a daughter so maybe not much on the comparison side. Of course she has been around hot rods and cool old cars all her life. She can weld and helps in the shop some, it is not a passion but at least she tolerates it with me. She turned 15 last January and I asked with some trepidation what kind of car we she find for her. Without missing a beat she said a 1968 impala 4 door hard top. Rock and Roll was my response and I started looking for one. In March she asked how the search was going? I said still looking. I could tell she had something else to say so I asked, why? She sheepishly said she may have changed her mind. I braced myself incase she said something like Prius! Instead she said let me show you. She handed me her laptop with a 1970 Buick Riviera on the screen. Two doors, first year for the 455 and factory fender skirts...I am so proud! Lol

20141104_143505.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  2. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

I let my oldest daughter teach her self how to drive in a 62 Ford Ranchero, only instructions were DONT RUN OVER THE OLD WATER WELL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guess what her first target was, She is a great driver and equipment operator also a pretty decent mechanic.

Nailhead Brooklyn and CapeCodBob like this.
  3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm sure glad no one told me driving a stick was so difficult. when I bought my first car at 16 my buddy drove it home because I hadn't got my license yet, then we went out driving. stalled it a few times, and the rest is history.

CapeCodBob likes this.
  4. WOW, WHAT A GREAT RESPONSE AND GREAT STORIES !

5. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My daughter has been going to shows with me since she was born. Often corrects "Street Rodders" when they clearly bought their car and didn't build it and have no idea how things go together. Rebuilt my buddies 97s when she was 9 and can sort a crab distributor quicker than me!

Desperately wants a 53 Caddy and won't accept a four door. Says she'll just have my 32 until she finds the right caddy! She is only 12!

And then my son (9) comes home
    From school with this........
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1444723334.080900.jpg

Nailhead Brooklyn and Kroombit like this.
  6. pitman

pitman

^^^ The dark side beckons! ;)

7. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Taught my first wife to drive a stick, then had to change the trans., still married her. The follies of youth.

8. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

My daughter who turned 38 in September has been a car nut all her life. When she was in high school I built her a 68 Mustang, which still has. The 42 Chevy that I am currently building is her car. She comes home periodicaly and helps dad with her new car

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. NudeBomber

NudeBomber
    from East Texas

Oldest daughter picked out her first car last night... A 1949 Chevrolet Styleline Deluxe 2 Door Sport Coupe. No motor, no trans, no front glass, no brakes, no paint, no air conditioning. She had other options but she's going to learn a helluva lot with this one. It's gonna be a gas!

CapeCodBob likes this.
  10. I have two girls,my oldest not to much a car nut, but youngest IS ! She never driven anything but a straight trans . Both my girls first cars were manuals . My youngest drove my vette that I drove in high school, to school also. She LOVES HOT RODS ! Here 'a couple pics. 20160113_143150.jpg 20160115_233546.jpg 085.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg of her.

11. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My oldest daughter learned to drive in a back pasture with a 74 Ford Courier pickup and later I bought her a 70's Monza 4 speed car, she got a long fine, of the other three girls only one knows how to drive a stick, her first car was a Dodge Colt, she loved that car even though it was a throwaway car and if she could have another one she would, it ran cheap and was fun to drive. None of my kids, are really interested in cars like the old man:(

12. My daughter's tastes run toward "younger" cars- imports and Jeeps.
    But over the years, she learned how to do a brake job, change her own oil, and count the splines on a 31-spline 9" Ford rearend:
    DSC04704.JPG

Nailhead Brooklyn likes this.
  13. I taught my daughter to drive years ago, she's now 33 with two boys (3-5) of her own, they love hot rods, I'm a very grateful dad/grandpa.
    DSCN8734.JPG

14. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Nobody in my family gives 2 cents about cars...but I helped pull my first engine when I was 12...grew up on mopeds, dirt bikes, learned how to drive stick when I was 12 as well, instead of "taking my keys" because I was punished, they had to pull the spark plugs...don't really know where I got it from, and I still have a ton to learn but I love it...I really wish more girls and women would get involved. Hell I'd love to open a speed shop but I don't think women are taken seriously in this industry. I have literally had people at car shows ask me to stand next to their car so they can get a picture. I'm not hanging around your car because I wanted to be a fender lizard when I grew up. I want to look under the hood dammit! I don't have any children, but for those of you with daughter's, if they show an interest in what you're doing in your garage. Teach that girl all you can, because even if she doesn't grow up to be a hot rodder, the thing's she'll learn will be with her always...there's nothing better than a woman who knows how to handle a wrench...and secondly there's no better look on someone's face when you can carry on a conversation about cars and they just pegged you as some pin-up dime piece...

Arabie777 likes this.
  15. trollst

trollst

My daughter is waiting for me to croak so she can have my 36.....she's been a 4X4 nut most of her life, first truck for her was a stick, she's taught every boyfriend how to drive stick, offroad and fish. To top it all off, she'll win beauty contests all day long.