Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Original headlight lens... any alternatives?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stevie Nash, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

image.jpeg Love my bullet headlights on my '37 Nash. They were converted to halogen bulbs some time ago. Problem is, the original lens refracts the light almost everywhere but the road. Is there a replacement curved lens this can fix this problem?

2. i don't know of any but i did put a s.s. shield inside the bucket to stop the light from going "up" on my 39 gmc [looks like the same lens]. the shield blocks the upper section of lens.
    best bet is either to add driving light below the bumper or convert to sealed beams.

3. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

4. sorry, i made shields out of stainless steel and polished them to be reflective.

5. Also make certain the lenses are in right-side up. Not trying to be obvious, but sometimes the lenses are cut so that they refract the light different ways. I have even seen some that are supposed to go right or left. If the reflectors are not shiny enough, you will not get much from them. If they need to be plated there is a place called "Uvira" in Oregon that will redo them with a really good finish to shine forever. I have seen a lot of guys put clear, flat lenses in, but I don't really like the looks of those where they were meant to be bullet shaped.

dana barlow likes this.
  6. I'd look into some plain lenses made out of plexiglass or lexan. Lay a large enough piece over your stock lenses and pop them in the oven, then trim to size. Install a good aftermarket halogen in the bucket....

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

search julianos.com for Aerobrite Halogen Headlight System - for Fords but, maybe you could use one or give ideas on how to figure out yours.

8. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Already polished them....

9. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

There are some similar sized stainless bowls with a polished inside at Ikea, might be able to cut them up for trial.

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I'd say the bulb is not correct for the reflector and doesn't project the light properly due to incorrect focus. I had bulbs made to suit my OEM 35 Chevy reflectors and lenses. Still perfect after 15yrs.

Hackerbilt likes this.
  11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

LHD dip right on low beam, RHD dip left on low beam so as light doesn't shine into oncoming driver's eyes. The patterns on my OEM 35s are symmetrical. Getting the correct bulb focus (position) with the reflector (Parabolic mirror) is the trick

Hackerbilt likes this.
  12. I use a "brite" (their spelling) bulb from Ron Francis Wire Works, https://www.ronfrancis.com, (800) 292-1940 in my '32 Ford. You might want to try one and see if they place the filaments in the correct location to focus with the original lens.

Charlie Stephens

Hackerbilt likes this.
  13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Safe to assume you've checked the usual places for upgraded / replacement OEM systems (Drake, Moss)? Are you sure it is the lens, or perhaps that the bulb isn't in the perfect spot to "work" with the reflector - out of focus so to speak? I've always liked the bug eye look of those year headlights, hope you get them tuned-up. Gary

14. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"I'd say the bulb is not correct for the reflector and doesn't project the light properly due to incorrect focus" quoted from up there...THIS is the basic problem. Find a way to move bulb and socket fore and aft til it works. It has to be in the right focal spot in the parabolic reflector. You have nice deep lights so your aren't restricted on moving by that.
    Probably high beam filament should be right on center, too, with low filament slightly below
    Once bulb is in the right place the lenses will do the job.

16. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

When trying to upgrade lights; Bulb filamint placemint is needed in center and actully how far it is from lenz=moving forword or backword inside light controls a big amount of how an were the light shines out of the lights lenz,so when dealing with changing from how it was made to start with ,to new reflector and bulb,you must have things just as they were place wise,for the light to go through the lenz as it was designed to do. If your off with bulb placemint and or reflecktor shape an space from lenz=they shine at other then the angle design to go through the lenz=dose not work. This is also why if the lights are custom placed much lower then designed don't light the road for crap ether ,no matter how much outside adjustmint is done to try to get them working really good { this is why super low lights on customs an rods to the knowing eye are like a sign ,saying I'm a copy cat of other fools that thought it looked cool to have very low down lights=not so cool after all.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  17. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

So how do I determine the original distance of the bulb from the lens? I am using the original reflector with a halogen bulb....

18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Idealy look at how an were the old bulb was mounted { were the fillamint* of old factory bulb was , above the stock reflector*=make the new ones fillamint* at same hight and that reflector is mounted same as as factory did it. Hope your stock reflector is in very good shape an it with give best idea of were it should be. If you no longer have the stock factory socket an bulb an know were it was mounted,then you maybe able to set up the headlight inter assm. on a test bench. Lenz/reflector just as they fit together space wise, pointed at the wall,with lanz having top up as it would be on car,
    an move your new bulb in and out of hole ine reflector as you watch/look at how light is shining on the wall an take note of how far in to reflector the bulb is at the best light pattern on the wall=thats were you mount bulb.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Made specifically for 34-5- US Pre-focus. I got mine from here, $AUD40 15yrs ago. I'm confident there will be someone over there that knows their stuff!
    http://users.chariot.net.au/~acpearson/page2.html

dana barlow likes this.
  20. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Looks promising... Thanks!

dana barlow likes this.