Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Looking for a R&B Automotive dragster expert

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by c/h, Jan 29, 2016.

1. c/h

c/h
    from iowa

Looking for ownership of this R&B automotive dragster sema stamped #36 on this front engine
    thank you

Attached Files:

2. rooman

rooman

With both John and Dennis no longer being around to tell any stories you may have some trouble establishing the ownership chain. If the #5 is a sequential chassis number it would have to be one of their early builds. They built their first complete car in late 1964 so that would date this car to the mid/late 60's if the 5 is in fact a chassis number.

Roo

3. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Hey Kevin .. I have two ideas for you, Last time I was at Dennis's shop ( in 89) it looked the same as it must have looked in the 60's, We were driving around kenohsa and I told Dennis I felt like I went back in time to the 70's, He said yeah not much changes around here, Maybe you could put a add on craigslist or something looking for one of his buddies or someone that worked for and try to find out where all his stuff went,It had to go some where,, might luck out and locate some old paperwork,, an other thought is that the car was buildt by John B. out in cal. Dennis said they didn't spilt on good terms maybe they were still useing the same Sema cert back then and the 5 was a way to separate the builds, The chassis guys on here could tell you if my secound Idea maks any sense, I this posted on here thinking it might jog someones memory,, talk to you later Tim Jones

4. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Another thought,,, Maybe Rooman knows how to get ahold of Diamond Dave Miller , Dave and Dennis were close friends ,,

5. c/h

c/h
    from iowa

put a add on there in kenohsa some one flagged me and had it took off today.
    I did get a hit on a ca add and found the owner from 1981 he is sending photos of it in Antioch ca where he ran at sears point Fremont few times at Bakersfield .was yellow back then black chassis and had a cowl not with louvers but some form of metal fab.looking forward to those il post them and see if it rings any bells.
    getting close but that's a lot of years ago

6. c/h

c/h
    from iowa

well getting conflicting story's weather its a woody or a R&B .stamped R&B but few of the previous owners have it as a woody.
    R&B make a flexi chassis?
    few photos of the flexi also there is adjustment to adjust the rear of the chassis chrome 8 3/4 and dual disc airharts for brakes

Attached Files:

7. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Of the 6 or 7 front engine cars I had when I was younger there was only 2 that I was sure about who made them, not saying your wrong ,just that memories fade when they change hands, and just because it's not a Woody Gilmore car doesn't have to mean it wasn't Warrens car lots of cars changed hands back in those day,,,,,, Just a thought

8. rooman

rooman

Kev,
    with the #36 SEMA stamp it is definitely an R & B. Or at least that part of it is. It may have had some updates/modifications performed by another chassis shop while it was in California.
    As for past owners "having it as a woody", I recently had a potential customer send my photos of his "Woody" car and it is obviously an SPE due to Roy's distinctive front axle configuration.

Roo

9. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Having worked on the last FE chassis Lil John built and owning one of his much earlier versions, I can state that he did not change his design in back to the two uprite Woody version. John sold his FE chassis to come out west to work for M/T building F/Cs and there were no FEs built out here. When he did open his shop, R/Es were being built.
    Need pics of the front axle. Layout

10. c/h

c/h
    from iowa

just got off the phone with a guy who spent time at r&b he said he thought 1970-71 his words not mine.
    front end photo also couple of other photos. Did he built the down tube with the saddle like a "flex"
    also lower chassis adjustment .thank for everyone's help.here is as the car sits on trailer,find orginal ownership il strip and put it back.

Attached Files:

11. c/h

c/h
    from iowa

few more

Attached Files:

12. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Don't know what that guy was smokein, but the more you post , the less and less it becomes an R&B

13. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Bruce,, Who do you think buildt the chassis? Tim Jones

14. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I can say who didn't build it, R&B
    Its Woody-esk is all I can come up with , without seeing it in person

15. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Interesting,, The plot thickens,, Hell Bruce come on out , the're calling for a blizzard Tuesday about 12 inchs of snow or more,, Bring the dog she'll be in heaven,,LOL

16. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Better keep posting pics of your car Kevin

17. c/h

c/h
    from iowa

these help

Attached Files:

18. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal