Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '40 Ford Cpe - Rear Door Jamb Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vet65te, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Vet65te

Vet65te

Went to look at a '40 Ford Deluxe Coupe yesterday and saw a couple things on the rear door jambs (both sides) that has me wondering, hopefully you guys familiar with '40's can look this pic over and let me know what's up...if anything.
    At the top of the rear door jamb where it contacts the roof structure, there's a noticeable weld on both jambs. If it's not factory weld, which looks to be the case, it was probably done a while back. The bottom rear corner looks normal and actually found a couple corrosion holes on one side but no visible weld like it seen at the upper corner. Also, notice the indentation at the bottom of the picture down about 10 or so inches from the top. Never have seen these notches before. They are very clean as if done by the factory. There's actually two of these 'indents' one about 10 inches or so from the top and the second one about a foot and a half up from the bottom edge, on both doors and about 1-inch in height. Looking for comments on both items, thanks,
    Mike T - Prescott AZ
    [​IMG]

2. I think those indents are where two "snubbers" should be. Those are missing but those indents are factory. Those welds up top look to me like some sort of repair was done at some point in the cars life.

3. Not trying to be an alarmist, I guess those welds could be factory welds, just not finished very nicely. Not surprising.

4. Vet65te

Vet65te

Thanks for the feedback. I have an older 'building a '40 Ford' book that happened to mention that some of the welding on the early Fords was 'gas welding' but I think you're right, what we're seeing at the top of the rear door jamb could have been some sort of repair long after it left the factory in 1940. On the indents, I looked to see if there were some corresponding rubber bumpers on the rear of the actual door but nothing seen. The one other item I didn't mention above was the fact that there is a Arizona State VIN tag on the drivers door rear jamb. I believe the riveted small metal tags I've seen on the firewalls of early Fords weren't necessarily considered to be VIN tags and on some of these cars they are MIA but seeing the state issued VIN tag on the door jamb made me wonder. I suppose someone could have lost a title and this is what evolved from that but on the other hand, you'd think that the state wouldn't just hand out these tags without some sort of proof of ownership.
    Mike T - Prescott AZ

5. chargin03

chargin03

my 40 ford coupe has the welds and the indents. Just checked it also looks to be the same color.

6. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Indents are for door bumpers. I have after market ones and have trouble keeping them in. The last time they came out I just left them out. When I find some good glue, I'll put them back. As far as the weld. I have seen these cars with and without it. At 76 years old, someone could have welded that joint somewhere along the line. Gene.

7. This is what those bumpers (snubbers) look like. 1937-1948 FORD RUBBER BUMPER IN DOOR JAM.jpg

8. Here's one in position but painted over. IMG_1515_zpsvqi80vkc.jpg

9. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What they said--indents are for bumpers as shown-mine stay in with a dab of weatherstrip adhesive-just checked both of my coupes-they have the same welds and one was an orig old car when we got it-orig paint,etc. but tired. How are the driprails--maybe the pic but looks odd at top rear of door-hard to tell. Vin should be on dr side frame rail in front of steering box. If independent FE has been installed Vin is probably gone.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Vet65te

Vet65te

I appreciate the input, I had a feeling the indents were too neatly done to have been a 'Bubba-mod'. I was more concerned about that upper corner weld but it sounds like that also could have been a factory weld. In any case, the doors close well and nothing looks to be out of alignment and quarter panels look decent too.
    Thanks, Mike T - Prescott AZ

302GMC likes this.
  11. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Mine look pretty much the same, maybe a little more primer and prep work but the welds are there.

Attached Files:

12. Vet65te

Vet65te

Thanks for the pic, I'm breathing a bit easier about this Coupe now.
    Mike T - Prescott AZ

13. So, tell us more about this '40 you are looking at.:);)

14. Vet65te

Vet65te

It's a '40 Ford Deluxe Coupe and the current owner has had it for a couple years and all the mods were done by the previous owner. It's a 5.0 liter HO 302, age unknown at this time, AOD trans, Ford 9-inch rear. The typical Mustang II front suspension, A/C and a few other things. Paint is okay...from about 5 to 10 feet away but not in need of being redone at this time. Honestly, I'm more into Chevy drivetrains and wasn't real keen about buying something with electronic fuel injection and there's a ton of wiring in the engine compartment that'll need to be straightened out. Also a serious rat's nest of wiring under the dash too but it's solid and I've been looking around for some time so hopefully this will turn out well. To answer the question about the rain gutters, they are in place but looks like someone got carried away with filling the trough in with filler.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mike T - Prescott AZ

15. Old TFFdriver

Old TFFdriver
    from California

Nice car ..hope it works out for you..had a '34 5 window all steel with original running boards , 327 Chevy , Cadillac lasel(sp?) 4 sp..tuck and roll, American mags..etc..when I was a kid..sold it to finish my 64 GTO for the strip ....can you say oops..was young and dumb..sure wish I still had it..,

16. chargin03

chargin03