Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cheap Dexron VI?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fender1325, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Fender1325

Fender1325

Guys where can I get cheap dexron VI? I've got a 56 cadillac that is barely registering on the dipstick so I want to buy enough to top it off - how much that will take I have no idea. Capacity is probably around 14 quarts and at 6-7 bucks a quart thats a lot. I wont be driving it much at this point, but I want to get some good fluids in it as I'm trying to get the engine woken back up from a 20 year sleep.

I'm running VI because the dexron's are supposed to be backwards compatible with every previous generation dexron, and I've had good luck with it in my 50 cadillac.

Second question - I see you can buy gallons of ATF at walmart that is like a "one size fits all" Dexron/Mercon type deal. I'm not really thrilled with that idea.....but if that stuff is honestly not bad then I'm open to it. I just feel a little strange with those type fluids.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The capacity of the transmission in your car is 12-quarts.

If it is barely registering on the dipstick, you do not need 12-quarts.

If you just want to top it off, you might need two quarts. If you are bringing this car back from the dead, you will want a total drain and refill.

1956 Hyrdra-Matic transmissions do not grow on trees, nor do their parts, nor do the guys who know how to work on them properly.

I don't (won't) shop at Wally World, so I cannot speak to what they have. My O'Reilly still has Dexron III. They have to have it sent over from the warehouse, but that's no big deal.

Fender1325 likes this.
  3. Fender1325

Fender1325

Ok......I'll buy a few quarts locally of the VI and see if I can top it off. Fluid looked good and clean from the little I could see. We dont know if this thing is any good yet so I'm going to hold off on 100 bucks worth of ATF before I know that.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Be careful, it could be quite normal for the fluid to barely register when the trans is cold. It is surprising how much the level rises when hot which is when you are supposed to check it. You might need to add a pint or less when it is hot, you may need to add nothing.

If there is one drop hanging off the end of the dipstick you may want to add a pint, if there is enough to register on the stick at all you are ok to drive. When the trans is good and hot, like after a 30 mile drive check it and top up if necessary. You probably won't even need a whole quart and you may need nothing.

Go for a drive, check the fluid with the trans hot and the engine running.

Be careful when you add fluid, if it is well down add half a cup at a time,check the level, when it comes up add 1/4 cup at a time. The level always seems to come up slowly then the last little bit overfills it.

PS I don't mean you need to use a measuring cup just go easy and keep checking until you get it full. If you go over you can't take it back.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    Fender1325 likes this.

5. Fender1325

Fender1325

Thanks. The engine and trans were swapped on this thing and the driveshaft has been left out for a long time. I assume a fair amount of fluid was lost that way, but it registers 1 drop on the stick, below the hash marks. So I'll buy 2 quarts and see where it gets me. Thanks

6. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

if it has a drop on the dipstick with it NOT running put in a pint. then start it and check it idling in neutral. (i'm guessin it will need at least a quart.) remember that it is one pint between add and full marks.

7. When I add trans fluid I always run it thur the gears drive, reverse, low and reverse,again then park and recheck the fluid .Bruce. 003 (8).JPG

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    Nailhead Jason likes this.
  8. finn

finn

My old Fords all said something to the effect to check the fluid level hot, right on the dipstick.

Don't know about the new ones, primarily because I never check the fluid level.

Come to think of it, maybe I should do that tomorrow.

9. blue57ford

blue57ford

If this transmission has sat for a long time it would be wise to do a complete drain and service. With that being said, there is nothing wrong with a good brand Dexron III/Mercon. Even a good brand Type F. Not Type A that can be found in dollar stores but Type F. Also if the transmission is original or an older rebuild, older seals are sometimes known to leak when introduced to synthetic and synthetic blend oils.