Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 47 Desoto brake lining thickness

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chewie1, Jan 28, 2016.

1. chewie1

chewie1

Does any body know the thickness that the brake linings should be on a 47 Desoto custom
    Also do the linings cover the whole shoe

when i took mine apart the linings just fell apart after years of being soaked in brake fluid
    so I don't have any reference for the new ones

2. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

if riveted you can use it down to just before the rivets. if bonded you can use it down to just before the steel shows.
    if worn beyond the lining then it gets more expensive because of damage or possibly destroy the drum. the secondary lining might be shorter. if I recall correctly longer lining goes toward the front of the car .

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

All information from Canadian Service Data Book 1953 edition

Brakes - 1947 DeSoto model S11- Manufacturer Own - Lockheed type - Lining length Front wheels 23" rear wheels 20 3/8"- width 2" - thickness 13/64" - Brake drums 11" diameter - toe clearance .006" - heel clearance .006" - F.M.S. number 192A - interchange with 46-48 DeSoto 46-48 Chrysler Six some 46 -52 Dodge models

You should be able to work out the position of the brake linings on the shoes by the position of the rivets. Or the old lining may have left a mark on the shoe. I don't have any manuals or illustrations earlier than 1949 so can't say for sure. You should try to get a repair manual for your DeSoto.

The lining material they used was made of asbestos and was softer than the brake lining you get today. If you can't get NOS linings use a soft high friction material.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  4. The shorter primary shoe goes toward the front of the wheel and the longer secondary shoe goes to the rear. But this is likely to not be an issue on a '47 Desoto as I doubt that it has self-energizing brakes. Maybe post a shot of the brake assembly so we can see what you're working with exactly.

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

My old motors manual sez the same thing.

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

DeSoto did not use self energizing brakes with leading and trailing shoes. Fronts were twin leading shoe with 2 wheel cylinders on each side. Rear had a single cylinder with 2 shoes each on a fixed pivot. Front shoe lining nearly the length of the shoe. Rear shoe about 2/3 the length of the shoe.

This is from a 1949 manual, the oldest I have. I believe the 47 was similar.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Correct he is. That is for any and all self energizing drum brakes. I'm pretty sure that that Lockheed setup had shoes with the same size lining both primary and secondary.
    If the metal parts of the shoes are good you should be able to get them relined in UK by a brake and clutch shop.
    This link might help you get it done. http://www.oldmoparts.com/parts-service-brakes.aspx

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I consulted 2 repair manuals, one a repro of the factory DeSoto manual (1949 -52) both show a short rear shoe on the rear wheels only. They are not self energizing in the usual sense. Both shoe pivots are fixed to the backing plate.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would equal smaller brakes or at least less friction area on the rear brakes the easy way.
    Here is one more source for brake shoes but it may be out of date. http://www.antiquedodgeparts.com/dbrks.htm

10. Was one of these layouts what was referred to as "center-plane" brakes? :confused:

11. chewie1

chewie1

Thanks for the information.
    I have forwarded it to the brake people hopefully I'll have brakes next week :)

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I answered your question because you were in Cornwall England. If you were in North America I would have suggested you buy them from your local NAPA or other auto parts store. They are easily available here, I don't know about the UK. Have you tried any local sources? If all else fails you could order them from the US or Canada.

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Centerplane brakes came a little later but the design was substantially the same.

14. chewie1

chewie1

Hi Rusty yes I did check around locally but no one has them. It will work out cheaper to get them relined than import some new ones as they are not that light

I did find some one in the uk selling wheel cylinders but it worked out cheaper to get some imported...

the company selling them wanted £240 plus 20% tax just for the front 4.
    I got all six with taxes+postage paid for £240

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Be sure to tell them to use a soft lining. If you have any of the old lining you could take it along for a sample.