Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Chevy truck

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Bad55Chick, Jan 22, 2016.

1. OLD REK

OLD REK

You go girl!!! I gave up my '56 PU for my '56 coupe, but I sure miss her. Good luck with yours!
    My 56 Chevy.JPG

missmuriel, Paul B and Bad55Chick like this.
  2. Bad55Chick

Bad55Chick

I was definitely excited! And thanks!!!:)

3. Bad55Chick

Bad55Chick

Thanks!!:)

4. Bad55Chick

Bad55Chick

Yours was beautiful! Hope mine turns out nice!

5. Wow you picked up a great start he found a jem for sure. The floots are outstanding. Thanks for the peek.:)

CRAZYHORSE55 likes this.
  6. Bad55Chick

Bad55Chick

He sure did:) he's amazing!!

7. fergusonic

fergusonic
    from Kokomo, In

Let's hope that Nova suspension was welded in there correctly so that it can be aligned properly!

CRAZYHORSE55 likes this.
  8. Bad55Chick

Bad55Chick

The welds looked pretty good but I sure hope so too! I'll post individual pics when I get my phone fixed!

9. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

The thread police might report you... Don't post pics of the suspension (just trying to prevent your thread from getting locked)

CRAZYHORSE55 and volvobrynk like this.
  10. Bad55Chick

Bad55Chick

I guess I'm confused lol explain?

11. Adding a later (than 64) model front clip to an older vehicle is not considered a traditional way of building. Just don't make a big deal out of the Nova clip here (better to talk about it on 67-72). My '56 big window project has the same upgrade, but my '59 Panel will go back to a stock suspension (the previous owner did a real butcher-job with an Olds Cutlass clip... will post pics when I switch the chassis out).

12. Bad55Chick

Bad55Chick

When we bought the truck it already had the swap on it

13. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Doesn't matter, some folks don't have anything else better to do and will report your thread. It can be there just avoid showing or talking about it.

Check out the stovebolt forum as well. HUGE amount of stuff on our trucks there as well.

http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/cfrm

leadfootloon likes this.
  14. The HAMB is a traditionally focused Hot Rod and Customs site. Meaning that the members strive for their projects to appear like they would have in the mid-sixties and earlier. So things like LS Engine swaps and 20" billet wheels don't fly.

For my own build I am trying to go for a mid-sixties mild custom look, trying to use parts or reproductions of parts available in that time frame for anything readily visible. On a full fendered ride like our 55-59 Chevy trucks this change is essentially hidden under the sheet metal. I would say the majority of the 55-59 chevy trucks you see on the HAMB and elsewhere have had either a clip or other suspension change to get a lower stance and vastly better ride and handling. I have owned my truck for 19 years now since I was 17 years old. I replaced the king-pins, tie-rods and drag link on the straight axle the first time I built it and got it on the road. I now wish that I would have done the clip the first time. With the stock suspension, Inline 6, 3 speed with non-syncro gears and stock 3.90 rear end it just wasn't that much fun to drive. On the highway, about 50mph is all I was comfortable driving.

You are miles ahead of where I was with the clip already installed. It will ride and handle way better than the stock suspension ever did. Once the front sheet metal is bolted on nobody can see it. It is great to see a young people like you and your boyfriend getting into the hobby. There is a wealth of knowledge here. Looking forward to seeing more build pics.

Tobywan and Bad55Chick like this.
  15. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

photo57chevpickup.jpg Second generation (70-81)Camaro subframe with same year Camaro 10-bolt rear. 327 with 350 turbo up front. American Racing 15X7 D-200S (late 60's vintage) wheels with 225x70 front tires and 255x70 rear tires. The paint is cheap single stage black with 20% flattener. This is a fun and dependable truck. It's a 57. I like the 55-56 grills better. Good luck with yours

Tobywan likes this.
  16. Bad55Chick

Bad55Chick

17. Budget36

Budget36

Nice truck!

I'd be be be happy to send you a '55/6 grille in exchange for your '57 grille:)
    In fact, I think I have two left... I send you mine (both), you send me yours.

18. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

My '55 started looking like this in 2011:
    [​IMG]
    This is what it looked like last July:
    [​IMG]
    This is what it looks like now in paint jail. All four cab corners have been repaired or replaced. Lower doors replaced.mbig speaker holes in door interiors welded shut. Over FIFTY holes in the firewall have been welded set and smoothed over leaving only the factory embossed ridges.

[​IMG]
    This is something like what it will look like after its done. No, it will not have the full polish Torq Thrusts. I like my old timey TT knockoffs but I'll polish the lip. No bags, static drop by installing IFS up front and flipping the rearend on top of the leaf springs.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    CRAZYHORSE55 likes this.
  19. indyjps

indyjps

Pretty standard construction, framing set on slab, not a pole barn, steel sheeting. My shop is done the same except 2x6 studs due to 14 foot wall to allow a 12 foot door. They make for very nice buildings.

Crazyhorse55, great project, keep the updates coming. I prefer the turn signals in the fenders, think they add a lot of character to the front end, if you're going custom I could see shaving them. There's a lot of great truck threads on here.

Hollywood-East and CRAZYHORSE55 like this.
  20. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Where were all the car/truck girls when I was your age? Course back then, the wheels were made of stone and the axles wooden; well maybe not "that" long ago The 55-59 Chevrolet trucks were the best ever produced by the brand. Good luck with your's young lady. I wish I still had my 58. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Johnboy34 and CRAZYHORSE55 like this.
  21. Bad55Chick

Bad55Chick

I haven't decuded if I'm keeping them.. I barely know if I want white walls or the street truck look yet lol

22. Bad55Chick

Bad55Chick

Thanks!!:) My name is Emily!

Johnboy34 likes this.
  23. 'Mo

'Mo

Here is some more white-walled eye candy for your consideration.
    Riley Collin's '55 Chevy Cameo ranks among my favorites custom trucks ever.
    Colors were Candy Red on Pearl White.

[​IMG]

kiwijeff, leadfootloon and D.Lee like this.
  24. D.Lee

D.Lee
    from Czexas

I'm with Mo, White walls! There's plenty of these trucks with torque thrusts and slammed front ends.
    And even though it's pretty mild, this is my favorite version of Riley Collins Cameo. Lower, smoother and a great simple touch on the grill!

image.jpeg

Good luck on yours. And don't listen to those dogging on stock suspension, I run 80 down the highway every morning. Original junk is way cooler than nova junk!

25. That's a great starting point, pretty solid old truck and cool you're showing off the build. I did the camaro front stub swap in the past myself. apache3.jpg

kiwijeff and CRAZYHORSE55 like this.
  26. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Nice truck! Good to see couples that build together That in itself is pretty awesome. That motor should sound pretty good with that 280 cam in it. I went with the 270 magnum in mine so I can still run a stock stall torque converter it makes the drivability much nicer and still has a rumbly sound. Man I have been away from this place too long LOL

missmuriel and Bad55Chick like this.
  27. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

My old 58 Chevrolet truck had the super economy sized bed, the one the size of a football field. It had been a former NAVY truck, and was painted gray. The old guy I got it from had some used tires he took off a wrecked Cadillac; they were Uni-Royal Gold Seal Radials (a combination 1 1/2 inch white wall and a narrow gold line) on the 6 lug truck rims, and the Cadillac wheel covers ;only had two wheel covers on
    the passenger side when I got it because the other two had been stolen. I tossed the remaining wheel covers, broke the rivets/clips off the truck rims, chrome acorn nuts on the black painted rims. Somewhere along the line this truck acquired a 1955, 265, 4 barrel engine, and dual exhaust; the engine DID NOT have the optional oil filter for 1955, and a column shifted 3 speed trans. I wound up selling the truck to a city worker where we lived, and he did a 4 wheel drive conversion on it; it looked even better then. Same time I had this truck, my younger brother had a 56 with the big wrap around rear window and the extra long box also; he had a 2 barrel 283, and Muncie 4 speed. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

CRAZYHORSE55 likes this.
  28. jeffyg82

jeffyg82

Here's a pic of my Bros truck shaved signals just food for thought.... I'd show take a pic of the rest but wheels arnt Hamb friendly :)

Attached Files:

CRAZYHORSE55 likes this.
  29. Budget36

Budget36

Wow, you didn't have to pull the wheels just for the pic;)

That's about the same color as my '57...Imron carmel brown.

30. Bad55Chick

Bad55Chick

I'm thinking about that color and shaving them! And I was just showing that I buffed them out from what they looked like just chillin in a field