Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 59 edsel, ford distributor question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greg, Jan 29, 2016.

1. greg

greg

Can some one tell me if the point plate for a 58-59 edsel, and I am only guessing a ford is the same, has a return spring for the vacuum advance, or is there a spring built into the vacuum advance unit.
    Its on a 361 edsel motor. I dont have the vacuum advance unit, and the one I found bolts up, but there is nothing to return the plate. The point plate just spins freely without the vacuum advance arm hooked up.
    Or maybe my distributor is missing something.
    The centrifugal advance seems good.
    Thanks, Greg

2. There should be a spring in the vacuum advance canister that works against manifold vacuum when the engine is running. With the canister removed, press the plunger toward the canister. When you release it, does the plunger return to its original position? When connected to the breaker plate it should hold or move the plate to the proper position.

3. greg

greg

Is the spring under where the vacuum line connects, if so thats what is wrong. I just have a new canister without anything else, at the moment.

4. The spring should be inside the canister and not visible, though I don't claim to be an expert on Ford engines of this vintage. It should operate as shown in this illustration...

[​IMG]

5. greg

greg

That is exactly what I need to know. Thanks.
    All the web searching I did, and couldnt find a pic I needed like this one.
    Now I need to find my vacuum spring. :) That might be TRICKY one.

6. bedwards

bedwards

Looks like you got your answer, but here is a diagram if you still need it.
    [​IMG]