Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 4inch block drop on 52 lincoln

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by GreaseNgears, Jan 25, 2016.

1. GreaseNgears

GreaseNgears

I just put in 4inch blocks in the rear end of my 52 Lincoln.. sits pretty damn low.. pretty happy with the stance.
    I took it around the corner and my front end is kind of squirly ... . Im assuming because the rearend is dropped so much. I was going to lower the front about 2 inches by cutting the coils just havnt done it yet. Will that fix the front end being squrily ... Anyone else have this problem. ? Thanks

2. I think you have bigger problems. Cutting coils will only make it worse.

3. GreaseNgears

GreaseNgears

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so it was OK before lowering? Jamco Engineering sells a '52-'55 kit

Jonnie King likes this.

5. GreaseNgears

GreaseNgears

Yes...it was good before lowering.

6. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Jalopy Joker is right...Jamco has a good kit to cover this.

REMEMBER: That Lincoln is VERY heavy, and, it's very old. Cutting the existing stock coils, as chopped51 has also stated, would not be advisable.

With that 4" drop in the rear the weight of the car has shifted, that's probably why it's "motorboating" on you. PLUS, the rear shocks, etc., need to be addressed also so that you don't "bottom out", or cause problems with hitting your driveshaft. (And, make sure your front end is rebuilt too: shocks, bushings, stabilizer links, etc.)

I love the '52-'54 Lincolns, and yours will turn out cool...just make sure your entire suspension is gone over so that you'll be safe at all times. Looking "cool" is one thing, staying alive is another.
    Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  7. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Well,it takes forever to get your goods from Jamco.
    Few yrs ago i bought a pair of 4" drop leafs for my shoebox from St.Louis spring company.
    They got pretty nice and fast service and pricing was good too.And i bought a pair of 4" drop leafs for my friends '52 Mercury too from them.
    I have never liked the idea of cutting coils,guys used to do that shit a lot when i was a kid in my neighborhood.It was called "the hitachi lowering kit" back then:D
    Anyway,1990 Ford Aerostar coils will be a better choice for you than cutting the coils.
    The Aerostar coils arent far away from Jamco's stuff,only the price tag will have smaller numbers on it.

8. scott51

scott51

You got the alignment re-done after you lowered it right?

Also 4" blocks aren't really the best option on any car, if your springs are in ok shape have them re-arched by a spring shop then use blocks to fine tune (3" max)

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Lowering the rear can throw off your caster. You need to do whatever you plan to do on the front, then get an alignment.

10. Rusty has it in one.
    Clearly a caster problem.

11. 4" blocks in the rear are allowing the rear springs to deflect sideways when you turn. This is causing oversteer. If you are bound and determined to keep those blocks, you have to use a panhard bar to hold the axle centered under the car. Don't worry about the front end yet!

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Extra caster will make it harder to steer and makes the car come back to straight easier that's why we add caster to our LSR race cars.
    Not positive on the Lincoln but on the Fords you can remove some rivets on the front lower A arms and add blocks to raise the spindle and not cut or put in new springs.
    If you know the inner and outer diameter of the fronts I can tell you whether Ford AeroStars will fit. They lower about 1-1/2 to 2" .....