Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Were do you paint without a garage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Christopher26, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Christopher26

Christopher26

Hello everyone, I have a 61 GMC and I am stripping the body now, I am doing it at work after hours and everyone is fine with it, but the problem I am going to hit is when I start the paintwork. I am doing HOK black base and pink metal flake flames. The problem is that as anyone who ever sprayed flake knows is that it goes everywere. I talked to the paint shops around here but without knowing the owners they always go with the insurance liability card, which I understand. That being said were else could you paint? I don't have a garage and it's about 30 degrees outside so painting outside is not going to work. Does anybody else have any suggestions? I am trying to figure out the best way to lay down everything in the best environment considering the circumstances. Thanks for any advise in advance

2. Just a thought but how about one of those u store it garages as long as you trap/ cover everything you should be OK some of them have electric or you could use a generator and paint late at night so no one is around to complain, just my thoughts good luck Hobo Jim

3. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Good idea! where I live I put the car on a big plastic tarp,wet the area down good and paint away.Please note I am not doing high quality paint jobs,just cheap enamel.

4. There is always a bunch of small shops in nearly every town that buys and paints wrecks,check with your local shops that sell automotive paint and supplies,I would think they might give you a few guys names that can help you out. HRP

5. A small local body shop let me use their booth after hours for a small fee . Paint is to expensive not to use a booth had to many bad experience's to do that any more. bugs dirt etc.. Just Say n

6. F-head

F-head

I painted a ton of shit out in the gravel driveway last summer
    had great luck, but the hot dry summer we had made it a real bitch
    had to wait till the sun went behind the trees then paint like a mofo before it got dark

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Slopok

Slopok

Buy the guy at Maaco a 30 pack of PBR.

kidcampbell71 and Asphalt Angel like this.
  8. stimpy

stimpy

it states in my storage unit clauses no Painting/stripping of anything or storage/use of flammable solvents , even with plastic drapped around the fumes go thru the gaps in the walls and the fumes penetrate other storage units and there contents , plus they inspect the units afterwords . they sued for damages for one unit that had a drum of paint thinner that leaked and ruined the unit next to its contents ( clothing , pictures and household items )

I have a freind who owns a bodyshop and go there or have him do it ( plus hes better at doing it than I am ) at the truck shop we used a portable shed ( plastic tarped ) to paint semi trailers and had no problems just make sure you water down the ground around it to keep the dust down .

9. I'd get one of those plastic tarp tent type garage. Can't be that expensive, but also won't be much warmer inside. To keep bugs outer paint, do it early in the morning.

10. belair

belair

I have a 10x20 ShelterLogic canopy I ordered from Home Depot online. They even delivered it for free ( I think). I hung plastic sheeting from it using shower curtain rings. Not a good pic, but the only one I have. I put it up in April and it is still up. Makes a great shade too. Painted my truck in it.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  11. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

It is just too cold to spray outside. Just hang on till spring, that is what I am doing.

kiwijeff likes this.
  12. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I agree with Mercman. It's too cold. If you wait till it warms up, you can then build a Mickey Mouse paint booth in your driveway or rent a storage unit for a month. Only problem with that is those fumes are going to get notice.

13. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Buy some cheap 2x4's and 1x4s or whatever and make a temporary booth, 3 walls, a cheap fan and the rest with 5 mil plastic . Many people have done this and got some amazing results.

kiwijeff likes this.
  14. In Southern California you used to (1970's) be able to rent paint booths from companies that specialized in renting paint booths. Ask around. Probably went the way of film cameras.

Charlie Stephens

15. Wow I never thought about the fumes its a bad idea renting a storage barn Thank you for pointing that out! I believe the temporary plastic booth is a much better idea. Good Luck Hobo Jim

16. Christopher26

Christopher26

I agree that a portable plastic setup is good, but unfortunately were I live ( shitty NY) I have no driveway, or anywhere to set it up and I cant just build one in the street haha. I have already went to a few local shops trying to rent space but there not known for being hospitable in this state. I have rented storage units before just to do some work on my bike but even that sent up red flags and people started complaining so I don't think I'd have a realistic shot at painting.

I'll try and look into the rental ones, thanks Charlie, also heading to the paint shop today anyway. I will ask if they know of any ideas

17. You really have to know people in the trade, or have someone agree to shoot the car for you. Which is the way I'll be going with mine. I have someone lined up already.

18. I am lucky I have a small garage, but I agree wet down everything, throw a chain over the rear end and let it warm up a little.I have painted out side and had some real good paint jobs come out .Last summer when I was painting the 56 buick station wagon my neighbor was going by on his tractor{SINCE WE BOTH LIVE ON A MOUNTIAN TOP HERE} and thought the neighbor down below was cooking meth he told me till he saw the blue paint coming out of my exhaust fan as he came by. lol. Bruce.

19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

There you go, a fellow Long Islander. See if his guy will also make a deal to shoot your car.

Unless you can find a booth for rent, no garage, driveway and 30 degrees means you're farming it out to someone with a booth.
    Even if you have a friend agree to the use of his garage or driveway, weather dictates waiting until Spring.

See the "painting your car in the driveway" thread for homemade spray booth ideas.

20. aaggie

aaggie

Temperature and humidity will be a concern so whatever you do wait for it to be over 70# before you spray. The last driveway job I did came out every bit as good as most commercial jobs. I built a temporary booth using 2" PVC pipe and a few rolls of opaque plastic sheet. I placed two box fans at one end and taped four A/C filters at the intake end.
    Before spraying I wiped down the car one last time with a tack cloth and wet the concrete to hold down the dust. Other than a few gnats that landed in the wet paint it came out OK. When the paint dried I took down the structure, taped it into a few bundles and put it out with the trash cans by the curb.

21. 327Eric

327Eric

Its been 20 years, but I signed up for an adult education class for autobody at the local High School. I had 2 weekdays off.

22. Well my garage is cold as hell most of the time but when I want to paint in there I have a propane convection heater that I light off and warm it up then shoot paint after I shut the heater down, once I have cleared the fumes I light the heater off again. You could do the same in the driveway if you built a tent with PVC and tarps or bought one of those tent carports with the side curtains. it would not be optimum of course.

If you knew a farmer a barn is a good place to shoot paint. LOL