Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 41-48/49-54 Chev front susp ???s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daveydeuce, Oct 13, 2009.

1. They are all "bolt in" front ends. Question is: Has anyone unbolted the 41-48 and bolted in a 49-54? Frame width appears to be about the same but have not measured it. I know of CEs bolt in MII and some other MIIs conversions. Would like to keep Chev front susp under my 48, 49-54 has 5 bolt rims, (will match the Nova rear end) tube shocks, easier to find parts for, etc. Looks like it should work. I have saved a 49-54 from years past. Comments/suggestions please. Thanx, Dave

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

One of our club members years ago built a 41 Chevy Sedan Delivery and used a 49-54 Chevy complete bolt in suspension. Just watch the caster angle, he had to add some good-sized wedges at the mounting positions.

The car ran and drove great. He was very happy with and drove it for several years before selling it.

3. Thanx much, this is the kind of info I am looking for. Dave

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

49-54's have weird steering... not sure how the 41-48's are but I would look into it before jumping in full speed ahead.

5. I am just doing this and have ordered a tie rod to go from side to side..then you use the tie-rod end, that has a tapered hole..Speedway sells for Fords hot rods...now I am putting a 64 Chevy box, the Vegas big brother, and a cross steer drag link.. as I am typing this, I am wondering if this will work with the independent front ??

6. An independent front should not have a solid tie rod from wheel to wheel. It will create some funky handling. It needs to have the steering arms tireods be able to pivot in the same arc as the control arms do when it moves up and down.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Um what?

If you do this on a car with independent front suspension you will have a broken tie rod end, or broken thumbs, or both, on the first big bump.

Better hope that you aren't going fast.

Please tell me that you have a totally different vehicle, with a beam or tube axle.

8. like as I said, as I am typing this it all of a sudden made no sense at all..getting too old for this.??? I do not like GM steering up to 54...not spending $2500 for a Must.ll ... back to the drawing board...what an old fool I am ????? lol

9. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

I had a 1939 Chevy coupe years ago that had a 1954 suspension under it. I know I used a Vega box cross steered to I think the center link. It drove very nice. I remember Butchs Rod Shop had the conversion. They are still here in Ohio. You might contact them to see if they still have a kit available.

10. sounds good, thanks for the info, Istwsh

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

49-50 used Huck brakes, 51-54 Bendix style brakes; it's a major job to convert the 49-50's to Bendix. But, if the plan includes a disc brake conversion, then use whatever year is available to you. The 49-54 front suspension is also virtually the same front suspension used in the 53-62 Corvette, although the center links are different.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. You need a center link and two outer tie rods or do it they way that they did it back then with a center pivot that connects to the steering box via a drag link and two separate tie rods that are activated by the center pivot.

I don't get it a lot of guys don't like the suspension on the '49-'54 Chevy but they would drive a '60 Corvette and be happy as a duck in mud. :rolleyes:

LOU WELLS and gimpyshotrods like this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

But a Corvette is better!

14. R Pope

R Pope

A Citation rack and pinion will work with a '53-4 front suspension with a little work.