Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Checker Board Firewalls....Let's See Some.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

A guy we ( my dad and I) used to go to swap meets and car shows with once told me if he ever built a Hot Rod it was going to have a checker board firewall because that's what was popular when he was a young man. I did a search and found threads on how to do a checker board firewall, What material to use to block off the squares, and even what size the squares should be, but no dedicated threads on checker board firewalls. We have a thread on white firewalls now lets see one on checker board firewalls.

2. wild32hotrod

wild32hotrod

here is a shot of mine, build the car in 1998. will get some better pics later IMG_0492.JPG

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

4. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Sam Foose's 48 Ford coupe circa 1977. I still have the old magazine where it was on the cover.
    Sam Foose.jpg

Just Gary, kiwijeff and Speed Gems like this.
  6. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Bump for the day shift.

7. belair

belair

Here is a video on how it's done. 3:06 - 3:10 will explain it all.

8. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Attached Files:

Cosmo49 and Montana1 like this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hmmm, I wonder if there is a "quilted look" version paint brush.
    [​IMG]

Cosmo49, hipster and belair like this.
  10. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

So, is it applied as a vinyl graphic, where can you get it?

11. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

We did a OT Suburban 3 door with a six inch stripe, with one inch squares across the front of the hood and fenders.
    Just ran the masking tape and prayed a lot. Came out good for noobs with a rattle can.

12. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

My '46 Ford pickup. The air cleaner on top of that 460 is a motorcycle gas tank, reclaimed from floating hurricane debris. The underside of the hood was laid out using a carpenters laser level, suspended from the ceiling. This was my first flames-over-checkers attempt.
    46trkhood02_5.jpg ins08.jpg ins09.jpg

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    chessterd5 likes this.
  13. Here's how I did mine... Made a pattern, put it on the black firewall, made some 2 1/4" squares out of white contact paper, stuck them on to see where they would go, and painted white in between the squares, then peeled them off - WALLA!!!

Took me 2 days!
    IMG_4851.JPG

IMG_4856.JPG
    IMG_4861.JPG

Cosmo49, Stogy, wraymen and 2 others like this.
  14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]

HAMBER Langy from the UK

hipster, deadbeat and Montana1 like this.
  15. white64

white64
    from Maine

Well I've done three so far all using the same "technique" (lol), Painted the firewall white then covered the entire firewall with blue 2" tape butted side to side vertically, and over that used green 3/4" tape horizontally spaced 2" top edge to top edge, and then carefully cut through the blue tape using the top of the green tap as the guide, pulled out every other tape square (about 2 hours to tape)then sprayed it black...easy! (did a driveshaft too that no one ever saw, duh) ... '38 Plymouth, '31 AV8 (in Avatar), '40 coupe 100_0720.jpg 100_0898_00.jpg 047.JPG

Cosmo49, Stogy, hipster and 2 others like this.
  16. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

Wow, that's some impressive and tedious taping!

Cosmo49 and hipster like this.
  17. oj

oj

They talk to me.

18. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

My dad painted this car when I was a teenager, roughly 10 years ago. The owner drives the damn wheels off of it and is one of the best "old" guys I know.

19. Well, being I didn't know there was one Right way to do it or that there is one Right size for the square's I'll show you how I did it Wrong. Notice the only vertical line I got Correct is the one dead center. I'll get right on this and do it over the Right way. 51 Project 032.jpg 51 Project 039.jpg 51 Project 051.jpg 51 Vicky 011.jpg
    The Wizzard

20. Nice job!!!

I almost always find myself re-inventing the wheel. I didn't know there was a right or wrong way to do something until after I did it. LOL Invariably someone will show up in the middle of the project and straighten me out.

I usually just roll up my sleeves and dive in (over my head) and figure it out. That's why it takes me so long.

21. When you talk to Guys that have to read a Book to get a job done, It's easy to tell the New guys from us Old Farts. It's like the Grill in this 51. People tell me all the time "that's the way everyone did it back in the Day" I specialy like the ones that say "I had one exactly like it" I already know the Brown Stuff is past there eye balls.
    The Wizzard

Cosmo49 and hipster like this.
  22. U-235

U-235

Okay Mr Pist-n-Broke, how much is that grille bar modified....? They don't seem to fit right in a 51 as I always thought ...the ends at the front of the bar cut back at a 45 or so....it looks as if I would have to add metal.. Always heard or saw an article in R & C in the fifties that you just trimmed them to fit...I wonder how many were installed back then with the cut back exposed...?

23. fordcpe

fordcpe

Here are some pics of my 34 firewall

Attached Files:

Cosmo49, hipster and TagMan like this.
  24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Architect Frank Gehry will love that.

25. white64

white64
    from Maine

Put on some decent music or listen to a ball game, grab a beer (just one), and start taping... the taping is sortah tedious, but! it only takes about one song (3 minutes) to add the black paint, let the paint dry then pull off the rest of the tape..TAH DA! About two cans of white gloss rustoleum and one can of black and some tape (likely the most expensive part (more 3m price gouging...grrr)) about $25 bucks total (depending on the beer count) and 2 hours of otherwise idle time and you're done.

Wrong way? A checkerboard is still a checkerboard regardless of how you got there...!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  26. WoW,, I must really be paying the price for being a Silver Back. 1 beer and 2 hours? Hmmm, must be time to throw in the Towel.
    The Wizzard

Cosmo49 likes this.
  27. white64

white64
    from Maine

LOL! Got to keep the lines straight! I can stop at one beer, two not so easy because the third is so much nicer and easier! ..and after four! who gives a crap about taping anything! BEER ASSISTANT!

28. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

Here is my model t firewall
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454040892.293444.jpg

kidcampbell71 and hipster like this.
  29. ghalperin

ghalperin

Has anyone done horizontal stripes?

30. ghalperin

ghalperin

Sam Foose’s ‘47
    67801DB6-8D26-4FB6-AFB5-53AA404D5169.jpeg