Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical which box for a model A four banger

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DjNeil, Jan 26, 2016.

1. DjNeil

DjNeil

Hi to all
    I'm running a 3 speed behind a 4 banger in a Model A.
    Is there an overdrive kit available for these or will a later 4,5 or 6 speed box fit with an adaptor kit
    Here's hoping
    Neil

m&s rodz likes this.
  2. The 84-87 ford F-150 4 speed(4 is od)works good.Check ford barn modelA forum for the man that has all you need.

m&s rodz likes this.
  3. DjNeil

DjNeil

Thankyou sir

4. My A has an '86-8 Ford PU three speed with overdrive top load tranny. I got it it in a car I bought, so do not know all the details, but it is a great setup. Dave Delmue, I believe, is the guy who sells the full conversion. It uses an AA bellhousing to eliminate to minimize any need for cutting the frame. Google or search on Ford Barn for more info and one or two other vendors using this transmission. Other folks have used the S-10 transmission, but it is open driveshaft, needs frame cutting and shifter is not close to original location. My S-10 comments are not from my personal knowledge, so others may better discuss use this trans.

5. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

6. I put a 3.54 rear end in and forgot about the overdrive. But in answer to your question "Mitchell" makes an overdrive that goes in the torque tube. There is a lot of stuff for the late trans conversion, how much time and money do you want to spend? Search the archives for overdrive on fordbarn. Also search on Mitchell in the archives on the fordbarn.

Charlie Stephens

7. DjNeil

DjNeil

Thanks to all
    Running 3:27 out back so could go higher

8. I just run a larger rear tire. It's my poor man overdrive good for 26% or there about.
    If you're already running 3.27's you may not want to go any higher, unless you have one hell of a hopped up motor!![​IMG]

Jet96 and burnzy37 like this.
  9. The beauty of a modern box, as opposed to adding an overdrive, is the synchro on all gears, and the bullet-proof nature of it. Let's face it, a Model A trans is not the best. Here's my 84-87 F150 four speed (top is o/d, 3rd is 1:1) modified to suit. I can slam through the gears fearlessly. I modified the tailshaft area using a thread in the ModelA forum on FordBarn as a guide.
    [​IMG]

10. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am using a S-10 T-5 4x4 trans in my coupe project. I got the torque tube adapter from a fellow HAMBer who was making them. Not sure if he is any more. I have seen a couple of other adapters for the torque tube using a Jeep T-5 on some threads here. Hope this helps.

10847875_10152899105791252_6696287863345778726_n.jpg

11. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

i have borg warner od in 2 mdl A's w/4.11 rears,work great on flat & mountains. can split the gears, 6 diff spds possible.

12. brjnelson

brjnelson

[​IMG]
    I'm runnin a V-8 trans with the helical gears and better syncro's and rubber ratio. The trans went in in one day, I do not know if the kit is still for sale, mine came from AC&R 18 years ago.

13. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER