Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Stock Model A with a Flathead V8

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mzweig, Jan 24, 2016.

1. mzweig

mzweig

Guys--I have a nice little '30 Model A Tudor. Thinking of putting in a flathead 60 or 85-horse and 30s-era top-loader 3 speed and just keeping the rest of it as is--maybe add juice brakes. Has anyone seen this done? Any input other than "leave it stock?" I wanna keep stock wheels and everything. Just give it a tad more "umph" and a better sound....

Attached Files:

2. That thing needs a top chop to go with the flathead.
    Unhotrodded Model As are so ugly in stock form.
    I'm partial to a good AV8, but the stock look is for Fordbarn.

1927graham likes this.
  3. mzweig

mzweig

I have had loads of hot rods--don't really disagree with you--but this car is so nice as it is--has nice paint and interior--and I like "sleepers."

Kevs56, LOU WELLS and Roger53 like this.
  4. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

I'm about to do this as well. Stock model A coupe. 35 trans v8 radiator. Model A running gear. I'll be watching and I'll post up things I do as I go. I'm thinking I'll stay with the stock brakes if I can get them working good enough.

ModelAPunk and phill like this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

go with a beefed up 4 cyl & juice brakes - if you plan to drive it regular some upgrades are required

Barn Find likes this.
  6. belair

belair

V8 60 is going the wrong direction. Do the 85 hp flattie. I would up grade the brakes too. You got to be able to stop when the idiot pulls out in front of you.

Barn Find and mzweig like this.
  7. mzweig

mzweig

I think you are right. My brakes are good--if all I'm doing is 35 or 40 mph.

Barn Find likes this.
  8. I do like the sleeper idea, have you seen the guy who put a BDA engine in a stock appearing Model A?
    Not traditional, but he dressed up engine to look and sound old.
    I think he's from Europe.

Pocket Nick likes this.
  9. mzweig

mzweig

I have not. But I'm not into 4-bangers. Just prefer a flathead V8. Sorry. I'm an old man and this is the kind of improvement someone could have easily made in the 30s.

Okie Pete and kiwijeff like this.
  10. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Lots of a-v8 threads on here, no reason you couldn't leave it stock looking....love your wagon Mzweig Edsel it looks like?

mzweig likes this.
  11. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Before you tear it all apart go by and scare them Hogs so that maybe they will win another game. BTW Greeeaaaat looking car.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree with King Ford, No reason not to leave it looking stock from the outside and run and 85 hp flathead. Not every Model A has to be chopped or have the fenders ripped off to be cool or fun.
    My 31 Vic will get an 8BA when it gets that far but that total bucket of rust as it sits now will end up looking like a mostly restored full fendered Model A that got a little bit of hot rodding when it is done. If it gets chopped it will only be a couple of inches as I want to drive it serious miles when it is done without getting a kink in my 69 year old

steveodeluxe, hans mercman and mzweig like this.
  13. This had a flathead when I bought it. Now it has a 181 cubic inch Mercrusier Marine (big Chevy II). If I had it to do over again I would go with a hopped up Model B. When I put this together 30 years ago I didn't know of any good builders for Model B engines. Of course it also has '46-'48 hydraulic brakes and a '39 transmission. Next projects, probably Kelsey wheels, hop up the Mercruiser or maybe a Model B with speed equipment.

Charlie Stephens Card1 001.jpg

14. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My pick up is close to what you would like to do '39 Merc & top loader & hydrolic 11752565_880708115317810_554346474359318128_n.jpg brakes with stock Model A rear end . Been on the road 14 years, no problems other than a broken axle about 6 years ago. BTW chassis is standard unboxed. Good luck you won't regret it.

15. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Pretty car. My 30 model A was as smooth a stocker that you would want. Brakes were iffy and the tranny was crude. Don't know much about how tough the rear ends are in them, but I cant see why your idea wouldn't fly. Ford did it just one year after the model A. Just make it safe and if you double the HP, then all the drive train parts will take more of a beating. Think a transmission upgrade might help as well. They are about the toughest built car out there.

mzweig likes this.
  16. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Lots of posts here with your plans. Definitely hot rodding in my book. Good looking model A.
    Dago your truck is just the shits. What great looking vehicle.

kiwijeff, mzweig and Dago 88 like this.
  17. Pete

Pete

Haha..... I have to agree

kiwijeff likes this.
  18. mzweig

mzweig

Sweet! You got the idea there. Looks great!

christensen likes this.
  19. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

My avatar is powered by a V8 60 and had no low end torque, my 30 pickup with a warmed over banger will out run the V8 60 up to about 55 mph. There is no problem running the stock rear end with a flathead but the stock brakes aren't a good idea.

Barn Find likes this.
  20. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

I have plans to put a 59 AB in my late 31 A pickup and leave it stock,other than 16" wires,my last stumbling block was clearance for the steering box but it looks like Fenton may have headers that clear the box,then maybe the F1 box could be used in the stock location.
    Clings has the adapt kit to use the stock pedals,the handbrake and the bones in the A location on the 39 trans.
    Nice cars you gents have.

mzweig likes this.
  21. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This one has to be the ultimate sleeper model A tudor.though with the one off wheels and the people involved I imagine an expensive build.

slimcat7m3, mzweig and kiwijeff like this.
  22. I am going to throw something out thee that maybe sounds a little obvious to some of you fellas, your basic AV8 is a model a with a flatty in it. I am sure that one can be made extreme but there maybe just may have been a few that were sleepers. The question becomes does it really have to be a roadster? Is there a rule written down somewhere that says that?

As for throwing a flatty in the sedan, I like a 21 stud for nostalgic reasons and in a light car I really like a V8 60, just because they are an underdog. But if I was building a car and didn't already have one I probably would not go looking for one. they are not easy to come by these days in good running condition and it doesn't cost any more to build a 100 horse motor than it does to build a 60 horse motor.

23. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Kiwi , thanks for the ride now that put a smile on my face. Bad ass. Both torque and handling.

24. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

A friend of mine has a Model A coupe with a supercharged V8-60. It runs well and sounds great. Stock appearing except for '35 wire wheels.

mzweig likes this.
  25. That's the one I mentioned.
    There's a build thread somewhere on the net, I found several years back, and while not Hamb friendly, its the ultimate Model A sleeper, and very cool to see what they did.

26. Ice man

Ice man

I had a Jeep 4 banger with a matching 5 speed from a Cherokee. Got rid of the fuel injection and had a dizzy made to fit the jeep motor and had a really great running 29 Pick up. The banger had 5 mains and was bullet proof. Was really a cheep redo that worked well.

27. Boatmark

Boatmark

I'd absolutely do it. Then again I have been thinking about the same thing. I keep seeing fully restored A's out their for relatively short money. Why not add a flathead, a better trans, and some juice brakes, and maybe lightly adjust the stance . . . . And have really fun sleeper to play with.

Not everything has to be a radical full build project in the garage for years. This quick and fun route to the street is just the ticket for some people.

kiwijeff, Bill smith, clunker and 2 others like this.
  28. 35PU

35PU
    from Australia

I have a similar project in the works, so will be interested in how yours pans out. A sleeper is pretty though, have to watch those 19's can handle all that torque. Here's a pic of mine. Stock as a rock...

Attached Files:

QcATudor, clunker, Juggler and 3 others like this.
  29. mzweig

mzweig

Wow--that looks fantastic to me! Very tastefully done. Thank you for sharing!

Dago 88 likes this.
  30. mzweig

mzweig

I gotta agree with you the trans is not fun. I want a later 30s toploader with synchros between 2nd and 3rd tho I can double clutch and shift the stock trans at pretty much any speed.