Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Pontiac Wagon - Mild Custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by CLM, Jan 25, 2016.

1. CLM

CLM

When I was a kid we had a friend that owned a pool hall in town. Jim Williams, a super nice, down to earth guy. Dad and I visited him at his "shop" one time and it was lined with 2 Mercury Cyclones, a Talledega Torino, 2 Hurst Olds, a hotrod truck and about half a dozen other cars. Turns out he had opened the first upscale pool halls in Arlington and Austin Texas back in the 70's, then invested his money wisely. He would pick up the cars he liked, drive them a short time and put them away in the shop as low mileage muscle cars. Fast forward 20+ years from that day and he passed away from cancer. In that 20 years, my taste had changed, but I had always lusted after getting a car out of that shop. So, when they started selling off his collection, I put my '47 Pontiac Torpedo in Storage and snatched up a 1950 Pontiac Wagon that had been sitting there for 34 years.
    [​IMG]

Coming out of hibernation.
    [​IMG]

I have been working on it slowly over the last two years and plan on cruising it this summer. Figured it was a good time to start a build thread.

Here is a photoshop of the look I am going for.
    [​IMG]

2. khead47

khead47

Very, VERY cool! ST8 with Hydro?

3. Congratulations,that's a great looking wagon. HRP

4. What engine? HRP

beater40 likes this.

5. CLM

CLM

Yup, Straight 8 with hydro. Apparently the car came from the factory as a manual, but was converted at some point. before going into hibernation. First order of business was all new wheels cylinders, brake lines, master cylinder. Rebuilt the fuel/vacuum pump, rebuilt the carb, had a new core put in the radiator, flushed engine and new hoses. Got the old straight eight running like a sewing machine.

Then concentrated on floors. Added bracing to the rear to support the tire, gas tank and seat, as well as give me a location to mount seat belts for the third seat.
    [​IMG]

New rear floors.
    [​IMG]

New driver floor and filled where the heater was.
    [​IMG]

The reason I am replacing floors.
    [​IMG]

Last pan made and ready to install.
    [​IMG]

6. CLM

CLM

Wagon is getting a stereo and a/c, but trying to keep everything hidden as possible. Used the original fresh air vents in firewall to make speaker recesses. Had to make wooden rings to stand them off a little so I could go with 5 1/4".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. CLM

CLM

Also removed the fresh air intakes under the fenders to allow for the lowered stance and larger tire. Freed up a lot of space.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. CLM

CLM

Put 3 1/2" blocks on the back as a starting point for lowering it. Also added air shocks to help keep it from bottoming out when we have people with us. Then pulled the front coils and cut 1 1/4 coil out of each. It dropped the front about 4"
    Then added 700x15 Firestone Wide Whites with 4 1/8" white walls. They are just slightly taller and a little wider than the optional size that was available on the wagons. But I wanted to fill those massive front fender openings. Car sits nice and no rubbing anywhere.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also got personalized plates for it. Jim Williams' nick name in high school was Wilt, because he was the Wilt Chamberlain of billiards. So to pay a little homage to Jim.
    [​IMG]

tomkelly88 and jakespeed63 like this.
  9. CLM

CLM

I never cared much for the '50 grill, just too busy and mine was beat to hell.
    [​IMG]

So, I picked up a NOS '49 grill bar, and started combining it with parts of my '50. Then set the bumper back 1".
    Still need to make a center medallion to fill the recess in the grill and figure out what I want to do to clean up the lower pan behind the bumper. But it is looking much better already.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jakespeed63 likes this.
  10. belair

belair

Nice tin indian. I like your direction on this.

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool project - too bad that the previous owner didn't save one in a little better shape - but you sure are changing that .

12. CLM

CLM

My understanding with the wagon was that Jim bought it off of the side of the highway and stuck it in the shop. He had bought new carpet, headliner, wheel cylinders and a few other things that were sitting in the car, but beyond that didn't do much with the car. When I rebuilt the fuel pump, I could tell a new kit had been installed, but the pump arm was not attached. So I would imagine that is where the project stalled, he probably thought the straight 8 was dead.

I had several other projects and life get in my way over the last 2 years. But some of them were related to the wagon. Built a bead roller to make the floor pans.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got the wife involved blasting wheels, then upgraded her to a new blast cabinet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tomkelly88 likes this.
  13. 'Mo

'Mo

Larry Watson was a big fan of turning Chevy front bumpers upside down
    (which also lowers them).

You might want to give it a try, and see if you like the look.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    Old-Soul and hotrodtodd1960 like this.
  14. TinWolf

TinWolf
    from Sweden

Attached Files:

jakespeed63 and hotrodtodd1960 like this.
  15. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Wow, what a neat idea! Put the blast cabinet in the kitchen so the wife can blast parts, and make dinner at the same time!
    Neat car, Good Luck with the build![​IMG]
    KK

MyCrustyVW and czuch like this.
  16. Tin Indian Tin Woodie =KOOL ROD Love it ,Ill be keeping my eye on this one. Ron...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  17. CLM

CLM

I briefly looked at the bumper flipped. Not sure if the Pontiac has more slope, but it just didn't look right. Moved it back and drilled new holes and it lined up nicely with the curve of the lower grill pieces that I kept.

I love the 2 door photoshop, but also like the 4 door version. I've had it saved for a couple of years. Biggest problem is the B and C pillar being slanted wouldn't actually allow the rear windows to roll down.

Lol, kitchen floor was the only place big enough for me to spread it out and assemble it. It did stay for a week though before moving it to the shop to use it. I had an english wheel in the kitchen for a few months once. But, I do most of the cooking.

Poncho Tin Woodies Rule!! Only know of about a dozen that I have been able to find and 3 of those were being dismantled and sold as parts.
    [​IMG]

18. jlckmj

jlckmj

Love it!

Jim

19. Nice build! I'll be following closely. I'm a big fan of tin woodies(that just sounds wrong).

20. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

You did stick to a logical list of sensible steps. Get it safe and get it working. I like the front grille too. Nice wagon. Worth saving it from extinction. Looking forward to more pictures soon.

21. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

=================

Probably Makes stuck on mac-n-cheese scream uncle. Teflon coating too.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  22. Jay71

Jay71

Great find! Cant wait to see this one come together.

23. kustomitch

kustomitch
    from Monson MA

This is going to be cool. Nice start

24. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Try just the center tooth off the 50 bumper on the 49? Not sure the profile would work, or if it would look good, but would give it a more split grill look, which is a Pontiac signature.

25. CLM

CLM

Tried the center medallion and it didn't look right without the lower grill bar. Thinking something along the lines of a single dagmar like these. [​IMG]

26. JeffCTN

JeffCTN

Man, cool story! Love the homage to the previous owner too. I agree on the grille - looks better simplified.

27. CLM

CLM

I've been filling holes on the dash and firewall. Still a few more to go, but had a buddy come over and help wire wheel the floors last night. Should have them in paint by Monday. Man that is a lot of floors!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454704869.862691.jpg

richard price and jakespeed63 like this.
  28. Great work- Like the photoshop-

29. Great story.Looks like you a good welder also. Nice touch with the lic. plates. Along with my 56 buick wagon I have a non friendly H.A.M.B. 1971 olds cutlass flat top station wagon. I don't know if you know the story but I sold it 12 years ago.I found it about 6 months ago just sitting in a garage for the last 10 years. I had to have her back. I dragged her home and now shes a daily driver now. I am going repaint her to the lighter original blue paint on her in the spring. I just got done carpeting the rear cargo area. 001.JPG Thanks Bruce.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  30. 007.JPG The rear cargo area.Bruce.