Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1932 Pickup Rebuild Thread UPDATED 1/11/16

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dennis Lacy, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Makes me want to take my fenders off!

ct1932ford and Dennis Lacy like this.
  2. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Fantastic, Dennis! Can`t thank you enough for all the hard work you have put into this thread, and all the great information you have shared with us here!! So glad you have your old truck back, and I hope you have many more years of fun with your old Deuce Truck.......:):)

Dennis Lacy likes this.
  3. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Anyone that takes the time to read this thread and follow this build is going to be inspired to go the extra mile on their project. The attention to detail and the absence of short cuts in this build is most evident in the finished truck and I'm sure that adds to the pride you must have as you drive and show it.
    Outstanding.

Dennis Lacy and volvobrynk like this.
  4. verde742

verde742

I think it fantastic you got what you want, everybody should be that fortunate,
    As you usual the person with the biggest mouth makes the most noise.
    I don"t even fit it those trucks, at 6'0" 223 lbs, but darn I sure like the lines of them. And yours set as great as any I had ever seen. They are only original once, Let's mess them up, so they look better!!

You did a great job of documenting the build, and I have already referred people to the site. Thanks. Just because:: What does yer POP think of yer truck?
    O yeah, So-Cal Az, Frank has a full fendered 1932 Pickup, Full Bodied, Hot Rod of the 60's, driver, I think the only thing he changed is he put a 283 Chevy in it. he recently put it For Sale, and it is complete, yellow and says its a good driver.

carry on Run Dennis, Run..
    May you Have a wonderful life, EVERYDAY!!!:cool:

Dennis Lacy and volvobrynk like this.
  5. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dennis, with the great photos and attention to detail, this would make a great "how to" book!

Cheers
    Matt

6. verde742

verde742

I agree, with attention to detail you possess, I think you may have found your calling; There are many basic procedures that could be put "in the book' i.e. reversing spring eyes, fabricating motor mounts, shock mounts, steering column installations, and I can think of many other "basic" procedures I have been ask about. Such as installing modern bucket seats in an old Ford. Re-drilling Ford brake drums for Chevy, Ford pass, car bolt pattern,removing/or replacing door handles, making old Ford handles to stop sagging..

And Dennis , you have a "gift" for detail.

i.rant, Dennis Lacy and volvobrynk like this.
  7. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

With the right seat you could fit in a truck just fine. I'm 5/10 275 and I fit for n mine ok.

Dennis Lacy likes this.
  8. verde742

verde742

I have seen those seat: back 2 inches thick and VERTICAL, Assume one position and STAY THERE for 2 hours, NO THANKS.

Dennis Lacy likes this.
  9. Now all it needs is an Early V8 Garage logo on the doors. Buy and sell is the American way of life to get what you want.

10. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

I am 6'4", 200 lbs. My dad has a '34 ford pickup (I know, the firewall gives slightly more leg room, but really not THAT much more) and I fit fine in it. If it were chopped, it would be different story. I once sat in a '34 ford pickup that was chopped 3" and channeled the width of the frame. Holy crap was that uncomfortable. My knees were up around my chest! But a stocker is actually quite comfy

Dennis Lacy likes this.
  11. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

My Dad has a '34 Pickup also and I've spent quite a bit of time behind it's wheel. It's actually surprising how much of a difference those extra couple of inches makes! It feels a bunch roomier than my '32. He's also 6'4" and just over 200 and he's pretty comfy in it.

12. Great thread Dennis....Looking foward to seeing it next Friday......

Dennis Lacy likes this.
  13. Hankster32

Hankster32

take it apart and start over I don't want this to end.

14. Bader2

Bader2

Still think a how to tech book is in order. Show people a deuce steering box can be made to work properly,brakes how to,transmission,it would be a great early ford manual. Kinda expand on what Vern Tardel and Mike Bishop started,I'm in for one! Maybe a catalog of parts you sell also?

15. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

Again I agree !! Put it in print....

Dennis Lacy likes this.
  16. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

Just starting to go thru the posting again when I find the pictures gone.

17. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

Looks like it was a temporary thing with the photo host, they're all back now.

18. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

You have magic in your fingers !!!

Dennis Lacy likes this.
  19. Mart

Mart

It's already written up! In this post!

Thanks again Dennis.

Mart.

65gregg and Dennis Lacy like this.
  20. Bader2

Bader2

Yeah mart,but a book doesn't turn itself off after two minutes of inactivity!
    Oh,and the pictures don't disappear whenever the host feels!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  21. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I've also used the early 50's Mopar shocks before too and they work great. But I've also found that Isuzu Midi light delivery vans from the 80's / 90's used a lovely shrouded shock with no flare at the bottom of the shroud and with the correct diameter dished eyes and bushings top and bottom. I do prefer to use OEM parts over aftermarket. They last longer.
    Pictured below is the Isuzu shock mounted on a '32 Ford. With reversed Speedway lower mounts and F1 upper mounts, (bent here due to the fenders), the shroud clears the shackles and the steering arm. The Isuzu shocks are also very long travel, so will fit many different applications. They are also beautifully made. The outer shroud is a simple tube spot welded to the upper cup. The top and bottom eyes are concave! I think they're the same on the Isuzu Trooper. Check P/N REPI280103
    Ed

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  22. 2doorwagon

2doorwagon

Nice ride!!

Dennis Lacy likes this.
  23. TimDavis

TimDavis

I agree weak complaint. I'm 6 foot 220(with back trouble from an attempted golf career ) my '32 pickup has a stock seat on top of the gas tank. I can drive all around town all day long just fine. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457554747.080482.jpg

24. verde742

verde742

:)beautiful Truck, You are one fortunate dude.:rolleyes:

TimDavis likes this.
  25. Hate to see this thread end, it's been a must read since post #1.

Get started on something else, before withdrawals set in.

Dennis Lacy likes this.
  26. LTM75110

LTM75110

I`ve enjoyed the build,Lots of good stuff in here.Great truck,Congrats.

Dennis Lacy likes this.
  27. tevintage

tevintage

Hi Dennis:
    It was fun seeing your truck at the Suede Palace. Thanks for the informative well written thread. Enjoy your sweet driver. TEB

Attached Files:

28. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

There will be more to come, actually, as I'm not quite done. Just taking a break to get some things done at home, gotta shuffle the house around to make room for my 2nd and final daughter who will be here in May.

I am going to to rework the rear spring to get the back down about an inch and a half and once that is done I still need to make mounts and get rear shocks on this thing. I'm thinking I'm going to build a drop-center tie rod so I can put the reverse-eye spring main leaf back in the front for an extra inch, too.

I've been driving this truck A LOT! I'm happy to report that everything works awesome and I've been making little tweaks here and there and have it pretty refined. It sure is a lot more fun (and less stressful) to drive with 4x the horsepower and more than double the torque.

Jeff34, Flowmeister and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Amen!