Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration My high school sweet heart

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Funkhouser, Jan 22, 2016.

1. 107.jpg My 38 Chevy coupe and the girl I married. The class of 72 . Did anyone drive a hot rod to school? Also did you or your friends name their cars? I would lettered their trunk or rear fender etc.. pet names they had for their girlfriend or stuff like, The Wanderer , Porky,s Toy, Pooh Bear, Old Pet. Our high school had some cool old cars . one guy drove a old Packard Hearse . WHAT was at your school?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  2. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Class of 77'----a girl and a hotrod---I was enamored with the prettiest girl in high school ...cheerleader, honor student, track star, etc...I asked her out for a soda, and she said yes!!! But, my 1940 Ford pickup wasn't running at the time (6 volt issues as usual)...so, I sorta, kinda ''borrowed'' my fathers 1962' Ford 1-ton hopped-up "dumptruck", painted baby-blue and chrome stacks on it, and diamond-pleat seats...and took her ''the soda'' rumbling down her dirt road with the roar of straight pipes, billowing dust, where her father approached me as I pulled up to the house, and asked ''who are you?"....I told him I was there to see ''the prettiest girl in the world''...he laughed, looked at the ''hot rod'' dumptruck I was driving, and said okay with a snicker....and I took her the soda to the front door.
    When she answered, I was so petrified, I handed her the soda with shaking hands, and stammered "well, I gotta be going now''....and left! Fortunately, my dignity was saved, and I saw her in class, and started acting 'normal' and asked her for a 'real date'....we went out all that summer, until I went into the Navy....she moved away soon after, but I sure thought she was ''all that'' and then some!.....All that summer I drove my 1940' Ford AND Hot Rod dumptruck, like king o' the mountain, but that old 62' hot-rodded Ford Dump truck was my doorway to graduating High School bliss! :cool: ----Ray

3. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Hahahaha... 1961 Chevy Greenbrier (Corvair van)... Fixed it when I was 13, buddy of mine did alot of fun pinstriping on her including a fancy naked girl on the front...
    Being rear engined and a manual I could dump the clutch, bounce the front end twice and ride around on the back wheels...
    Had a few bean bags in the back...
    My senior year was a very fun year...
    Never let your daughter date a guy with a van .... Hahahahahaha

Had a buddy that drove a 49 Ford 1.5 ton... We would race... Both were very slow but oooo so fun...

Attached Files:

4. Had a OT car, 69 nova SS with a 671 blown sbc in high school. Was wicked fast when I had it running right. Picking up my date for my senior prom, my date tore her gown trying to get in it ,over the roll cage. She said, why did you not get a limo ya cheap SOB!

62hotcat, 40fordtudor, blowby and 4 others like this.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Ron thats both your sweethearts...:D well one of course somewhat more higher level.

6. I had a 69 Charger RT, 440/4speed. ALL of the girls were my sweetheart!

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

'55 & '57 Chevy Hot Rods - later '38 Chevy & Bride

Stogy likes this.
  8. When we were on a date, and the 38 didn't crank I had her pop the clutch in 2nd as I pushed .She thought that was cool. I then realized this is the girl for me.

9. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

'56 Chevy and '66 Impala. Also started dating my wife in h.s. Will be 36 yrs together in April.

slack, 38fordpickup and Stogy like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bet your car wasn't a sweetie that night. It was the ole shitbox. Yeah those were the days...the ole push start. The daring young men and their jaunty jalopies ;)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    mad mikey likes this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I never had a hotrod in high school.
    My buddy had a 57 Chev 2dr hrtp however and lent it to me to take a sweetie to a drive in (damn that was nice of him).
    When I got back to the apartment after I popped out to the balcony to do a car check and it was gone. I freaked...called the cops...went downstairs running like a madman and low and behold my buddy shows up smirk on his face.
    I tell him about the car and he chuckles a bit and told me he moved it down the street. Whatta pal. Man that pissed me off...

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey guys what is it about 38 chevys and weddings...I see a connection here :rolleyes:

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SC guess your car didn't have Mad Mikeys skirt tearing rollcage feature then :D

14. 55 chev, sb, tunnel ram, dual quads, 4speed, one piece tilt front end, rear radiused wheel wells with a jigsaw, no front bumper, water pipe rear bumper and a paint job that looked like a DuPont paint chart. Headlights shook when I hit dumps, and had to use hand signals (remember those?). Gauges on the dash (with all the tubes and wires running through the speaker grill), bucket seats and BIG back seat. One big missing piece, NO gas gauge. High school sweetheart spent a lot of time as the deposit for the two gallon gas can I had to borrow from the pump jockeys. She dumped me when her parents bought her a new car for graduation. Guess her gas gauge worked.

15. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Ron, That looks like my old girlfriend, I graduated in 61 and drove a 50 Chevy black primer, pin striped and pin striped flamed fastback sedan. The kids called my car the wreck as they all drove newer cars and wore the new style clothes. That was a high class school of snobs but I enjoyed driving my $30 car to school anyway. It was the only car like it in the school parking lot. I didn't enjoy those days like I do now and I never did get to marry that old girlfriend either.

dana barlow and Jacob Goodin like this.
  16. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I was a "Ford Nut" 67 Fairlane , 428 SCJ 4 Speed Bench Seat . A hell of fun ride , I used to ride her home from school and swim meets , still best of friends never married

chryslerfan55 and deadbeat like this.
  18. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

after I turned 16, this was my high school driver
    [​IMG]

19. chevyfordman I must say you had a cute girlfriend. ha. ha. I admit I was hoping for some old jalopies like Ralph Mouth's would have driven to high school. Also some cute girl friends from back in the day. Here is a picture my wife ,and my first real HOT ROD paid 100$ for her had a tree growing through the the roof. Still have both, the coupe and the girlfriend {WIFE} and no Its not a rat rod just looks like one HA.HA. 1983 sorry photo of old photo. 084.jpg

20. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I don't have a picture handy but... 55 Chevy 1st Series, 350 Sagi 4 speed, bought my Centerlines 2 at a time because that was all I could afford. This was in the 80s. I think my girlfriend (now wife of 25 years) loved that truck more than me, and has me building another one as soon as we are done with the 51.

Strangely enough, I also took her on several dates in a dump truck. 1961 Chevy 1 ton.

21. This 1963 1/2 Falcon Sprint was my High School hot rod and the young girl is Brenda (ladyhrp) HRP
    [​IMG]

22. John that's a cool 56 do you know were it is today? This is a picture of my brothers 55 and his high school sweet hearts . They are married now and have 5 KIDS .I did the flames for him . 002.jpg

23. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ron: This took my girlfriend (wife of 39years)and I to high school ,the premier of American Graffiti, and a lot of other places... Oh yeah: I remember seeing LowUFO back in the early 80's ,at York maybe? Very cool machine,then and still!!

24. My high school senior year ride.:cool: I did crack my girl friends head on the roll bar once when I punched it. I guess that is why she married me.:rolleyes:
    30 roadster.jpg 3o roadster.jpg 30 roadster_0001.jpg
    I even parked it in the teachers parking lot at school!:eek:

25. We went to see American Graffiti when it was first released in my old Model A pickup,the only hot rod in the parking lot,when we came out of the theater there was a crowd around my old beater,lots of questions were ask,I kinda felt like a rock star. HRP

[​IMG]

26. I am so old that all of the cars in the parking lot would be considered a hot rod nowadays.

27. mountainman2

mountainman2

[QUOTE="Ron Funkhouser, post: Here is a picture my wife ,and my first real HOT ROD paid 100$ for her....... [/QUOTE]
    Looks like you got a heck of a deal BUT what did you pay for the hot rod???????o_O

chryslerfan55 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  28. Thanks Bowie, LOVE your 3 window too! We been married 40 years. We double dated with a good friend to see American Graffiti. WE were in his 58 chevy Biscane ,and made the girls sit threw the 2nd showing. Never forgot that night. THE COOLEST movie ever. Our girls, like the coupes R FOR EVER ! Thanks for sharing Ron.....

chryslerfan55 and bowie like this.
  29. Probably 70+% of us drove a hot rod to school, or at least we thought we did.

I actually married the prettiest girl in the school and I think about this a lot, if we all went to the same school I would have to become a polygamist, because my school would have had multiple prettiest girls.

Danny and I actually married the same girl just different places and times. They must be identical cousins. ;)

30. Looks like you got a heck of a deal BUT what did you pay for the hot rod. The old farmer threw It in for free. I LOVE A DEAL !

chryslerfan55 likes this.