Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest RECOVERED! Stolen 41 Buick in Kansas City

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ebbsspeed, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

This theft was a tragedy. The Buick was stolen the day after Christmas. I agree these scumbags should meet a horrible and violent death. They probably took it to the crusher. The news story just ran on the local tv stations. Please keep an eye out for it. Some years back I caught a guy trying to hot wire my 39. I treated him like an unwanted stepchild. Street justice is the best way to handle it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Is it the green car in the foreground? If so it looks more like a '42-'48 Super 4-door; can someone verify?
    [​IMG]

4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

• The truck is a 1988-98 Chevy longbed. Dragged it out by chain to a waiting trailer.
    • Rusty engine in bed indicates they're probably scrapper scum.
    • Someone also stole his 2004 Caddy, so they've cased the place and may be local or know he's in the hospital.
    Anyone check the scrap dealers on 12/27/15? Can you scrap a car in Ks. w/o providing a title?

Car and parts look too good to scrap. I'd be holding out for parts to come onto the market eventually (Craigslist, swap meet, ebay).

Cops can't pick out the license plate # (or at least the State) from the video?

Inside job possible, so I'd even drive through the employee hospital lot (where the victim was admitted) looking for the truck.

turboroadster and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It's a '47 or '48 Buick. I can't tell if it's a Super or Roadmaster, but it is not a Special series.
    Hope these low life's get caught .........

Ray

6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Find em, soften em up, tie em to a train.

7. Jim I.

Jim I.

Don't know about Missouri, but around here you have to have a title and show a photo I.D. to scrap a car. I'd say they'll try and part it out. You're right, thieves are scum.

8. sololobo

sololobo

any new info on this raw deal? ass hats

9. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

Not in Missouri. Older vehicles can be scrapped without a title. A recent law has been a big problem. If you breakdown on the highway, you're screwed. The criteria is at least 10 years old. It's been a big headache for the Highway Patrol and county deputies. When the state passed it, they thought they were doing the right thing.

10. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

"When the state passed it, they thought they were doing the right thing."
    Isn't that the truth but How many times has the law of unintended consequences made these moves foolish?

11. Car was stolen a month ago & now just posted on here. Who is asleep @ the wheel? That thing could be in China by now. I hope not & the thieves get caught & castrated so they can't ad to the gene pool. I had a honda bike stolen & so have an idea how his family feels. I did get the bike back BTW & the thief had to pay to have the engine rebuilt. Not much lower than whale shit except thieves.

12. In MO you have to have a title to scrap one legally but in KCK you can take one to the crusher (grinder actually) without a title or even a bill of sale.

The Buick in question is a '48 Super, it was actually being driven about 2 years ago. I have been up close and personal with the car, the grainy pics don't do it justice.

The old guy walking in the vid is almost recognizable, I wish I could put my finger on where I have seen him. I don't call the cops but that would not keep me from paying him a visit, I have been suspected of visiting a thief before. All said and done the old guy is no doubt a "friend" of the deceased. That is why I am so fussy about who comes in the garage. ;)

We just found out about it this morning on the local news. The police here are a little slow moving if you don't run in the proper circles.

13. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I sure can't help in the ID of the thief, it's a damn shame people can't leave other folks property be. Hang from the tallest tree with the shortest rope! With the rash of thievery going on lately I may be changing my travel plans in the old cars! I'd hate to end up in jail for shooting would be thief! Joe

14. That's funny porknbeaner. Sometimes street justice is far more harsh than if you get caught by "The Man". Looking over your shoulder all the time because you got a quick come up for a little cash just isn't worth it.

I hope they catch this guy. Some people are just rotten..........E

15. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Many years ago in my home town,a friend of the family heard his cherry 32 Ford start up.He grabbed his `03 Springfield and went out to the carport.Saw his car backing out of the drive.Put a 150grn FMJ through the perps head.Had to replace the windshield have seat cleaned and patch a hole in the back of the cab.Plus hose out cab of the remains of skull fragments and brain matter and blood.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

16. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Car and bike thieves are lower than the germs under the rim of a toilet seat in a cathouse. Woodbutcher have you ever heard the little ditty that starts out"Aint many problems a man cant fix with 700 dollars and a thirty ought six"?;)

17. BILL LUPIANO

BILL LUPIANO
    BANNED
    from Canada

LOWLIFES!

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  18. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Yep. And a slightly different one from my Grandfather.The rifle mentioned was 45-70-405 cal. Springfield 1873.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

19. If you shot someone that has screwdriver in their hand isn't that self defense??.

mike bowling likes this.
  20. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

Watched the news tonight. Tips are coming in. Since the story broke I received several emails alerting me of the theft. Maybe they'll get caught. I hope so.

Paul B likes this.
  21. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Not saying I disagree with what your friend did one bit, but, these days, especially in liberal areas, this could face you with some murder charges, just something to keep in mind. Thieves probably count on that fact and push thier luck.

That said hope the car gets recovered, and as others have metioned, someone that knew him, knew he wasn't going to be there.

22. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

23. dan31

dan31

Probably not a scraper due to the price of scrap being way ,way down but who knows?. Two years ago i caught one of those crack head type scrapers stealing fence poles from my shop ,i knew which scrap yard they usally go to so i went there and talked to the owner. he assured me as "one local small business owner to another" he would be on the look out. I was tipped off by a neighbor as to who did the stealing and caught up with him at his house. In his pocket was a receipt from the very scrap yard i had been to and it was time dated about a half hour after i was there and signed by the owner himself! I not a particularly violent person but i beat the piss out of that guy.

24. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Would be nice if they could post the whole security video somewhere - I bet that slob of a thief would be recognized.

25. not in texas, if you get shot taking something that isnt yours, to bad so sad....

26. 29moonshine

29moonshine

it is in florida

27. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

This is really a form of abuse, the elderly often don't have too many people watching out for them and as society breaks down they are both easy prey and maybe have at least some money or assets after working their ass off their whole life.

There are a lot of opportunities for the low frequency types to take advantage of.

Funeral and other announcements in newspapers used to list both names and address. How would you like to come home from the funeral of a loved one and find your home ransacked? Happens all the time. They know where you'll be, after all. Try to have a friend sit at the homes of the immediate families in situations like these.

Hospitals and nursing homes can sometimes employ some sketchy folks, not necessarily the Doctors and Nurses (ha) but see to it that your loved ones wallet or purse is cleaned out of unnecessary financial information like credit or bank cards and the like, if possible.

Arrange to have mail or newspaper picked up rather than a "hold" when away. Thieves are not shy even when people are home, so an empty house is even more inviting. Does Grampa subscribe to Coin World or firearms magazines? etc etc. Take care to secure easily pilferable items in a safe location.

czuch and Dapostman like this.
  28. GTS225

GTS225

Even I think this was a little extreme. I will say, though, that society doesn't have to worry about that one anymore. If anyone feels they need to apply deadly force to retain thier possessions, (more accurately, thier right to have possessions), then shoot the perp in the ass. It's a non-lethal injury, and they WILL end up going to the hospital, where ALL firearms injuries are reported to law enforcement.
    Now here come the retorts that it's not always easy to pick your target. Granted, but an ass, even on a small person, is still a good-sized target.

Roger

Bubba1955 likes this.
  29. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

The key will be that truck. Uncommon blue color and has mismatched chrome rear wheels.
    The family should be printing color screen shots of the truck and perp and posting it at local stores with a neighborhood theft alert. They should be talking with neighbors to see if anyone in that truck did work for them. And asking local metal working shops if they've been by to pick up scrap steel.

I'll take a stab at a profile;
    • We know he looks to be mid 40's through 50's. Wears a wristwatch. Works with a 'partner' (at least some of the time).
    • Probably is not gainfully employed in a "regular" job. Scavenger and opportunist.
    • Lives day-day, on the cheap. (drive through a few trashy trailer parks looking for the truck).
    • Does "odd jobs" and handyman work (especially when scrap prices are low).
    • Many scrappers in my area, head out early AM, looking for metal in industrial areas, behind shops, stores, etc, then cruise residential areas looking to beat the trash pickup truck on collection days. They never "steal" scrap, they just "thought it was trash free for the taking" if they get stopped. If it's not bolted down, they'll grab it.
    • They go door to door asking for scrap and offering to do hauling, yard cleanups, tree trimming, fence work, etc. to make a tax free buck. They'll inform you that you have trees or fences that need work and they can take care of that now for you. Fine enough, but you don't know if they're stand up honest or casing your place. If he doesn't find work, he'll be done for the day by late AM. He'll stop for a 6 pack or at the Bar on the way home. You'll see the truck parked there or ask the proprietor.
    Last Fall, I ran a "free scrap metal" ad in Craigslist, under the "Free" section with a pic of my pile of scrap. I had at least a dozen calls withing 45 minutes. Nearly every caller asked if the mower, air conditioner, etc. pictured in my ad worked. The first guy to show had a mower in his bed which I immediately recognized from an adjacent C/L Free ad. I asked and he said he drives around refreshing C/L on his phone while looking for scrap and handyman work. He's looking for anything of value that he can flip (appliances, bikes, furniture, etc) because scrap metal prices are way down.
    The family should run a C/L ad for free scrap (with a fictitious picture of a metal pile) with an address other than where the car was stolen. Then sit nearby that address and see if that blue truck comes by looking for the bait.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  30. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Surely the police would have the needed software to blow up and decode the license plate in that picture. Probably just a matter of time before this one is solved. At least I hope so.