Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building a Traditional 32 Roadster Beater

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FalconMan, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Army Helmets.

can someone tell me what is attached to the front backing plate on this car?

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Atwater Mike likes this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Brake cooling ducting.

3. verde742

verde742

Its that Darn Cam Grant using his wonderful imagination !!! ther'er Army helmets !!!
    Ain't NO BODY don't like Cam Grant,
    Canadian Brother, different Mother..

4. hasty

hasty

Nice. Will be watching...

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Oh boy does Cam have some taste in building a hot rod, eh!
    Tried to buy a car in P-Town many years ago, guy said Cam built it.
    Lusted after this car, wouldn't give me a price, had lots of CASH in hand too.

6. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

Took some pic's of the Cam Grant built highboy at 2015 LARS. That car was full of trick details!!!! Cam 3 (600 x 450).jpg Cam 8 (600 x 450).jpg Cam 2 (600 x 450).jpg

Rui, kiwijeff, cfmvw and 3 others like this.
  7. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Making some more progress ....

Got my distributor for the flattie back from Hamber Bubba ... all rebuilt with the Pertronix module. I was gonna do it myself, then I read here on the HAMB you really should have it rebuilt and and tested with the vacuum brake working properly ... and Bubba is just the guy to do so..... All cleaned up so nicely and greased. It turns way better than before !

[​IMG]

Next I went back and forth on whether or not to put outside door handles on the roadster. Most photos I see do not have them.... I can understand why the dry lakers didn't want them. I was told by an old timer that around here "just the poor kids had them, they could not afford to shave them ". So, I saw a few photos of traditional rods with them on .... so I just drilled the damn holes.... added backing plates with nuts to secure them properly. These are Vintiques ... I hope to buy a couple of gennies to match the gennie rear deck handle I found.

[​IMG]

I have been waiting for the dash install of this build for sometime. I decided to do that now, rather than later. Several years ago I bought a 34 Terraplane cluster to hang on the wall and I thought perhaps someday I'll find a project for it. Well, this is the perfect project for the Terraplane cluster. I like it because it is very cool, old, oval, has a trip odometer, and a gas gauge. It all appears to work. I have ordered new glass to cut to fix the cracked glass. I turned the mount for the cluster upside down from its original configuration to fit the dash. I will use the start button and light switch holes as well for those original functions. As you can probably tell, this is the Brookville dash that has the glove box. Glove boxes I believe only came in the 3 window coupes, but I really wanted to break up the dash with the glove box feature and the symmetrical outcropping on the drivers side. Plus, I need somewhere to put my sun glasses and speeding tickets :)

I think this dash is cooler than hell.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    48fordnut, brEad, dad-bud and 11 others like this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

You need to send your distributor back to Bubba. He forgot to put the points in it.........

9. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpg I really like the whole build on this one. Especially the dash, ours has a Fargo cluster. Even if our car has a roof and RHD.

kiwijeff and Cyclone_racer like this.
  10. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We did fit a 50 merc in our 32 3w. Though we have a model A front x member and shifted the radiator and grill forward 1", the lower lip on the firewall needed very little trimmed off to clear the bellhousing. If you plan to run a hood it would need to be a custom one obviously.
    Following this thread make me want to build a roadster next not the 32 pickup we have.

11. Very cool build, fun to follow.

12. I love that Terraplane cluster. I had a car back in the 1980's called 'The Revolting' which had one of these in it...

[​IMG]

I always loved the shape. It's from a '36/'37 Hilman apparently.

I'm loving your build... very cool. :cool:

Glen.

kiwijeff and bct like this.
  13. A good, old fashioned, build thread from the great state of Minnesota. Page views are just page views...I prefer content. Thanks for providing content. The dash looks great.

14. Following for the 59A with deuce mounts and trimmed water pump pics.

15. AmishMike

AmishMike

[Good catch - what the hell is that???? I have gone back 3 times to look. What is that???
    QUOTE="hotcoupe, post: 11336847, member: 40367"]can someone tell me what is attached to the front backing plate on this car?
    tom
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

16. See Post #91 Army Helmets.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  17. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had one of those upside down Hillman speedos but couldn't get my head around the upside down reverse orientation.

18. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Only makes sense to have it upside down and reverse when you drive on the wrong side of the road :)

volvobrynk and Kiwi 4d like this.
  19. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

My opinion? I would keep them with the point down towards the ground. I like it more. Just my .02

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Looks pretty nice to be a beater!

21. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Yep, that is my intention to point them down. Besides, the holes I made don't easily accommodate them to be flipped.

Jake Sippl likes this.
  22. [/QUOTE]

Possibly a couple of old dough boy helmets from WW I. HRP

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    volvobrynk likes this.
  23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Danny, you've got a good eye for contour, as I believe you've nailed it with WWI hdmets.

volvobrynk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. OK, Now can you guys tell me what the head lights are?

25. Looks like Guides with Cam's custom made turn signal housing that looks a bit like a Art Deco Aero liner.

26. touring20

touring20

The helmet on the cam car is a ww1 or civil defense helmet used by air raid defense authority's - In the states during ww2 .

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. Bader2

Bader2

Look like econo line also. But do have the trim of a blc. Sorry,electroline,not econoline.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  28. ...I like them 35 lites, ...probly only to me they look like an alien's face,(not that there's anything wrong with that)...like I said, probly only to me.

29. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Really dig where this car is going. Love the Pontiac lights, may have to re-think what I use on my A in the end.

30. Gotta love a flatty!