Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Help picking a color

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by PC Jr, Jan 21, 2016.

?
  1. Mint and white

34 vote(s)
    72.3%
  2. Gold

13 vote(s)
    27.7%
  1. Squablow

Squablow

I voted for the green and white but I like them both. Having done some painting, the two tone will be easier to accomplish as well.

I like the modifications from your drawing much more than the gold one posted above. It's not bad, but the straight laced wires and IROC-Z looking ground effect rockers do it no favors.

2. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

To me the mint and cream says early to mid fiftys and the golds says sixtys, I dont know if that matters.

3. Boatmark

Boatmark

Tough one. Both are cool.

Having said that, I think I would lean to the green / white. I think this scheme will stand the test of time, and showcase the extensive but subtly executed body mods. Where with the gold, I'm afraid the color would overwhelm the eye, and tend to hide the beautiful custom work.

It's a beautiful car no matter how its painted. Good luck.

4. Well at least Elvis wasn't a rump ranger , well he didn't admit it anyway. :eek:

If we were talking hot rods I would say this, "there are only two colors for a hot rod, black or ugly." Alas we are talking customs here so they live in a world from the sublime to the ridiculous. Fortunately the car in question with either color scheme leans heavily toward the sublime end of the scale. :cool:

5. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

The mint and white is very tasteful while the gold is heavy-handed.

olscrounger likes this.
  6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

mint and white looks very subtle and fits the look.

7. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

@PC Jr I was just thinking about you and your bird the other day...glad to see its still moving along. I voted for gold, but both options look great. Keep us posted with progress. I was searching for pictures of yours the other day and can only find the early shots of the work done at Hollywood hot rods, any chance you can show us some more progress?

8. Green... It has an original and classic look that will look good for years to come. In a few years. I'd suspect some gold cars will be repainted after the fad dies. Remember the Easter egg colors that were popular in the 80's-90's?

9. bubba55

bubba55

Mint & White = Classy - that's my .02 worth

10. Gold with some pin striping to accent body character.

11. snowroutes

snowroutes

The gold makes it look quick, mint makes it look classy! I was wondering how did you get those awesome color renderings?

12. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I like both but the gold is more of a 60's look, the mint and white has a 50's vibe. Really like the way the rear quarters and skirts are done, a lot of people wouldn't even notice without a stock one for reference. I have a mild custom 60 but just lowered, nosed and decked.

Attached Files:

13. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

for what its worth, as bonerific as HOK Pagan Gold is, its more suited to fat fender cars or really showy customs and hot rods. Think the Oz Welch merc, or GNRS cars.

take your time and find exactly the right mint and white combo and it will be killer for many years to come...

14. I was wondering if that was the car Troy and his crew had worked on when I saw Eric's renderings.

I like the two tone mint and white.

15. PatinaDave

PatinaDave

The new Indian motorcycle offers "willow green and ivory cream"...and looks great! 0.md.jpg

16. PC Jr

PC Jr
    from So Cal

I appreciate all the suggestions and opinions. I started with the mint/white scheme and became concerned that I might get tired of it. Settled on gold but every time I would see the mint/white rendering I felt it looked really clean. Mint/white will give me a lot more options for interior and contrasting colors for the drivetrain and suspension.

For those that have asked, it is now primed and ready for paint. I will try to post up some current photos but I only have smartphone photos. The car should have been done by now but I ran into a painter who felt he had godly talents and did his best to see just how deep my pockets were. Trying to string me along into what was going to be $75k for prep and paint after quoting $20k - $25k. Thankfully I found an honest and very talented shop that repaired the damage the gnome did removing his prep work with a grinder. Its now straight as a razor and back on track.

This is a variation of Eric Blacks design of The Idol T-Brid based on the Hirohata Mercury. Eric reworked the drawings to make it a bit more fabrication friendly while still keeping the roots of his original design. Troy Ladd and Hollywood Hot Rods did all the metalwork and fabrication to perfection. If you have an interest, visit the Hollywood Hot Rods website and under projects there are some photos during fabrication. Im hopeful that we can have it ready for the Goodguys Del Mar show.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    K13 likes this.
  17. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I really like the gold! NICE car too.

18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I immediately said Gold because the mint and white at first reminded me of the pastel easter egg cars of the 90s but after thinking it over a bit and realizing this mint and white would be the more metalic pearl colors, I think it would look cool either way if you get the shades of the colors rite

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  19. Mint and white fit the era better.

20. AlkyWagon

AlkyWagon

Mint and White

21. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Mint and white

Gold is excellent but it's been done.

22. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia