Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1950 Chevy Styleline Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krbarnes, Jan 22, 2016.

1. krbarnes

krbarnes

I purchased my 1950 Chevrolet Styleline Deluxe 2-door Sedan in September 2015 from an 83 year-old retiree that restored it about 10+ years ago. I was looking for something solid, and this was the best one I found for the price (and I looked at quite a few) -- original/solid floorboards, trunk pan, good body mounts, TOTALLY redone interior (seats, door panels, headliner, carpet, windshield, door seals, fuzzies, etc), running/driving car.

My biggest complaint was that the original 216 I-6/3-speed gave the car a top speed of 55-60mph (low rear-end gears didn't help), which doesn't make it too 'highway friendly'. After enjoying a few local weekend cruise-ins with her, I decided it was in need of some 'upgrades', with a final goal of building a dependable cruiser I could feel comfortable driving anywhere. As the Michigan winter began to set in, she took her spot in the garage. Craigslist became my best friend as I started searching Detroit and the surrounding areas for parts:
    A 10-bolt rear end
    A complete 305 small block (don't need a hot rod - at least not yet!)
    Edelbrock intake and carb:
    I'll be installing a recently rebuilt 700R4 from a '90 IROC Camaro (my son is doing an LS/6-speed upgrade in his car and 'donating' his old trans to me)

The engine was torn down to a short block, heads taken in for a valve job, then reassembled. Christmas presents from my dad and my sons provided the air cleaner, valve covers, water pump, fuel pump, and other chrome goodies.

My brother convinced me I needed to paint the engine 'a different color'.

Now it was time to get down to the real dirty work. While my son was home from college over Christmas break, I took advantage of the extra muscle to start the major tear-down.

The following weekend the 'big pieces' started coming off

Chassis Engineering provided the rear-end install/leaf spring kit, and the new bolt-in front crossmember. Mustange II front suspension is in the plans, along with a power brake upgrade. A new transmission crossmember from Walton Fabrication is on it's way too.

The work now begins to start grinding rivets to remove all the original rear suspension mounts and transmission crossmember, along with lots of cleaning and painting.
    More to come!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. sololobo

sololobo

wow, nice plan, beautiful Chevy

3. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

I am enjoying your build, keep the pictures coming!!

4. jlckmj

jlckmj

Nice looking car, Your plan is solid, keep it up.

Jim

5. Angliaguy

Angliaguy

6. 72Mountaineer

72Mountaineer
    from WV

You'll love the result!

7. krbarnes

krbarnes

Another productive Saturday in the garage. After lots of grinding, cutting, drilling, hammering and prying, I was able to remove all the original rear leaf spring mounts, which were riveted to the frame.

Installing the new Chassis Engineering mounts only required drilling a few holes, and the mounts and springs went on fairly easily.

Now I need to cut the old leaf-spring perches off the 10-bolt and weld on the new ones -- then the rear will be ready to go in.

..... to be continued....

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  8. krbarnes

krbarnes

9. krbarnes

krbarnes

10. krbarnes

krbarnes

Took advantage of our unseasonably-warmer weather here in Michigan (mid 40's) and got to spend all day Saturday in the garage. It started with cutting the old spring perches off of the rear-end, and welding on the new ones. Not a real difficult task, just time consuming, and double/triple/quadruple checking measurements and angles. Shot some paint on it, and will hopefully get it in next weekend.

Then came the joy of removing the original transmission crossmember. The Walton Fab unit bolts to the frame in the original location, but also bolts to the original K-members, which means that 18 rivets had to be removed, trying not to damage the remaining mounting areas. After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I finally had to cut the old crossmember into pieces just to be able to get to some of the rivets. Evidently Chevrolet never intended these things to come apart, but eventually I won the battle!

Stay tuned for more!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  11. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Nice car, you're making good progress and I'll follow along.

12. chargin03

chargin03

13. krbarnes

krbarnes

The fun started on Thursday with another delivery from UPS. This time it was the rest of my front suspension parts. - tubular control arms, 2" drop spindles, manual rack & pinion, rotors, calipers, springs & shocks, etc).

Then another 'mild' weekend in SE Michigan (mid 40's) afforded me a lot of garage time. I was able to get the rear-end and transmission crossmember bolted in, and everything pretty much fell right into place with no surprises (thanks CE and Walton!!)

Next, I turned my attention to the firewall area. I trimmed some of the vertical supports to make way for the small-block, then kept on 'cleaning'. A fresh coat semi-gloss black made everything pretty.

I then started the install of the Chassis Engineering front crossmember. Other than having to drill a bunch of holes, it was pretty much uneventful.

Next on the agenda is to get the rest of the front-end parts painted and installed (then master cylinder & booster, brake lines, exhaust, wiring... etc, etc, etc, money, money, money......)

(ps - have I mentioned what a wonderful, understanding wife I have?? )

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  14. krbarnes

krbarnes

Nothing much happened this weekend - it was too cold to work in an un-heated garage (don't think it broke 20 all weekend). I was able to take all my front suspension parts (control arms, spindles, caliper brackets, etc) into the basement and get them painted. Next weekend is looking warmer, so maybe....

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  15. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

looks good. even better in person.

16. you will love how that thing rides with the Chassis Engineering leaf kit in the back. Best thing I could have done on my 51. Next for mine is the same front suspension you are doing.

17. krbarnes

krbarnes

18. krbarnes

krbarnes

My UPS guy braved a Michigan blizzard to deliver the rest of my brake parts today! I may get some time to work on the car this weekend, but so far it's not looking too good (plans with my wife, work, Detroit Autorama!)

19. Hope yours works better than the one I had..looked just like that. after a week of screwing with it I yanked it out and ordered a firewall pedal assembly from Walton Fab. worked flawlessly.

20. krbarnes

krbarnes

The pedal assembly bolted right in with no problems! I did have to grind he head off of one rivet, but everything fit fine. Will also need to drill a new hole in the floorboard for the pedal (it moves it over between the original clutch and brake), but that's not a big deal. Next will be bending & flaring brake lines.

21. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Darn you! I just sold my 51 Chevrolet Business Coupe, and reading about your build just makes me regret selling it even more. I just had too many projects going on, not enough room, and ya'll know the rest. It was built in a Street Gasser theme, lifted up, big and little Cragar SS wheels/tires, V-8/automatic/56-4.88 Positraction rear end, etc, etc, etc. The new owner has already dropped it down, and put some ugly 20 inch rims/tires on it. At least I get my wheels/tires back; it was part of the deal. Keep the updates coming! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

krbarnes likes this.
  22. Mine fit fine and appeared to be just right. But it was like the pedal ratio was way off. No air in the lines and just had tons of travel in the pedal to get it to stop. Used the same booster and master on the Walton Fab set up and no more excessive travel In The pedal to stop.

23. krbarnes

krbarnes

Thanks for the input Jason. I appreciate that. I hope that I can make this work to my satisfaction, because I REALLY wanted to keep the booster/mc on the frame. I'd like to keep the engine bay looking more 'original' (except for the V8 sitting in there).

24. krbarnes

krbarnes

Spent the past couple of weekends working on the brakes. Got the pedal/booster/MC mounted, bent/flared/installed all new brake lines, and now have working brakes!
    ps - I can't say enough GOOD things about the copper-nickel alloy brake tubing -- it bends and flares easily, and seals great!

Now I've started working on the steering. Ordered u-joints and D-D shaft yesterday, and will hopefully have everything connected by this weekend. After cutting off the steering column & shaft, I needed additional support for the column tube, so I fabricated this support plate and used the existing holes in the firewall to fasten it.

25. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Wow you're flying on this! You're doing a great job, it's looking really good. Keep going!

26. krbarnes

krbarnes

I was really undecided about whether to try to keep the original steering wheel and column, or replace with an aftermarket tilt-column and wheel. Several pros & cons to both, but decided to go with the original setup.
    Spent the weekend working on the the steering linkage. Got the original steering shaft cut down and ground/filed a D-D on the end to connect to the first U-joint, and used a CPP Column Saver on the end of the original steering column tube for bearing support (that worked great!). After several hours of trial & error, I think I finally have a configuration that will work. Trying to get the linkage & u-joints in the right place so as not to have any binding in the u-joints (can only bend about 30 degrees) was a lot tougher that I thought it would be (forgot to take a picture of the final assembly).

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    Caddy-O likes this.
  27. krbarnes

krbarnes

Got around to taking some pictures of the completed steering linkage.

Next up -- getting the transmission 'ready' (700R4). I have to modify it to control the torque converter lockup, and also convert the speedometer output from electronic to mechanical (trying to keep as many of the stock gauges as I can). Have some parts on order, and when those are installed, I think I'll be ready to drop the engine/trans into the car!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  28. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

Looks great, keep up the posts.

29. krbarnes

krbarnes

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018