Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features A lesson learned......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by classic gary, Jan 22, 2016.

1. classic gary

classic gary

ok, so I made a big mistake. It's my mistake, I own it, but I want to tell of my mistake so NO-ONE else makes my mistake.
    I put my model A hot rod up for sale at a number of "places". Here, trifive.com, Craigslist here in Albuquerque, and a couple other web sites.
    Well, the mistake was also using one of those "we can sell your car for you" sites.
    They called me about a week after I started advertising. They talk a real good talk, explaining the sale percentage rate, how many sites they would post my car on, take care of the shipping, even offer the buyer a low percentage collector car loan.
    Sounds good right. Well fuck no. ( I'm typing this while soaking in the tub full of hot water and Calgon bubbles, I'll post the name of the place later).
    Anyway, the couple of places I did find my car posted, some if the info about the car and contact info were WRONG. I'd email them and nothing happened. Basically took my money and ignored me from then on...........I'm pissed at myself, pissed at them.
    I did sell the car by the way. For my money. So that part turned out OK.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one that's done this, just put me on the list.
    See ya's, GARY

Texas Webb and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. how much did they charge?
    i guess the lesson learned; if you want a job done right, you have to do it yourself

volvobrynk, lothiandon1940 and slack like this.
  3. Thanks for having the courage to step up and admit that you probably made a mistake involving the third party. I know there are completely legitimate and honest brokers out there. Sadly, they are probably seriously outnumbered by unscrupulous bastards just trying to make a quick buck.

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

A good way to eliminate third party harassment is to state on your for sale add you don't need or want any help in selling the car. Worked for me on a car I recently sold.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Dapostman

Dapostman

Any brokers that want money up front from you, RUN RUN RUN, away from them. Legitimate brokers work on a percentage and will give you a contract spelling out what each party’s responsibility is. Read the contract before you sign it or have a lawyer go over it for you, its cheaper in the long run.

lothiandon1940 and Budget36 like this.
  6. chargin03

chargin03

Thanks for the warning.

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

Who needs a broker in the first place? Its a waste of your money. You can list your car for sale on the same sites they can. I just sold a 63 BelAir in less then 2 weeks without spending a dime.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, vultures are everywhere - Thanks for posting - congrats on sale - now, what are you going to buy or building now?

9. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Had that happen last year. Had the roadster on here first and then ebay with my home#.Not ebay or Hambs fault.Got called by a certain midwest outfit saying they would put my ad on dozens of sites for me. I said I didnt need anyone to do that for me and why would I need someone else to do that anyway.Guy on other end got a bit testy and said most guys dont know how to do it right and they are the best.I said politely no thanks and thats was it.Well this firm kept calling and calling and would not take no for an answer.I had to threaten them with BBB action and that finally did the trick. AND their BBB rating was bad already.
    These clowns out there troll the ads looking for fools all the time.Id advise not putting a # on your ads so that hopefully only trusting interests will email you asking for info.I only respond if they offer their # with the message.
    Not saying Gary is a fool,we have all learned lessons!

10. wicarnut

wicarnut

Seems to be part of the deal when you sell a car on the Internet. I guess I was not as nice as you because I could get rid of them in after 1 call

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

My latest project is the blue 64 Chevy Biscayne. The car I sold was a black 63 Chevy BelAir 2 door post car.

Another thing you need to do on your eBay listing is state that the car is for sale locally and you reserve the right to cancel the listing at any time.

I buy, build and sell cars all the time. I've had good, bad and ugly car sales. Good sales are usually the exception. Bad and ugly is the usual result. IMG_0761.JPG IMG_0812.JPG

12. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

So many scammers out there these days!....taking advantage of anything they can....thanks for reminding us all the 'potential' pitfalls buying/selling in 3rd hand parties,.. can be an ugly experience!;):mad:

baker84 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I believe if your a true "car guy" you know how to buy and sell your car. Some may think, maybe the so called "professionals" have some sort of secret formula to buying and selling. In reality their profession is taking profit from you. After all who knows your car better than you? If they are going to advertise your car in the same manner as you how is that different? I guess they can talk a good game but as the saying goes "SHOW ME THE MONEY". Joe

14. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I've got a bunch of "car-guy" friends but most of them aren't internet-savvy enough to figure out how to list a car for sale. They're the kind of victims these scammers look for.

15. classic gary

classic gary

ok, so for next time, what sites did you use that didn't cost a dime ?

16. classic gary

classic gary

Well, i'm looking at a 1961 LeSabre. This is the second time I've looked at it, it's no worse now than then....but the money is less. It should be a good home for a 454/T400 combo.

17. classic gary

classic gary

quotes are mine.
    does that statement REALLY mean anything? I mean, anybody can still drive a car, all a driver's license is, is a piece of paper, metaphorically speaking.

18. classic gary

classic gary

oh, and thanks for not bashing me........................................................uh, huh.

19. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

IN GOD WE TRUST ALL OTHER WE --- ;);) :cool:

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if all they are doing is listing it in the same places you could and using your photos and description I can't possibly see what the benefit would be. you have to give them credit for coming up with a legal scam like this though... pretty clever.

21. .................................The HAMB classifieds.:rolleyes:

22. Gman0046

Gman0046

classic gary, when just selling my 63 BelAir, I wanted to sell it fast and listed it for sale on the following web sites : eBay (removed the eBay add before the auction ended) cost me nothing, HAMB Classifieds, Chevytalk, 348-409, and Racing Junk which were all free. I also used Hot Rod Hotline which cost $20. I used Hot Rod Hotline because I sold a car on there before. Next time I'll save the $20.

The 63 was in my estimation a super nice car. Rust free, 355 SBC with TPI, Tremec 5 speed, Air Ride, Vintage Air, PS, PB, PW, new interior, Magnaflow exhaust, polished Americans and more. I was underwhelmed at the amount of calls I received but the car did sell in less then two weeks. All you need is one.

23. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gary,
    Going to miss seeing your car around and it wasn't around for that long. Glad you got 'your money'. Listed a vehicle for sale on a legitimate paid site for a non computer savvy senior that I have morning coffee with. The way the site worked was the inquires were screened prior to being forwarded. Well he didn't think that there was enough action and had someone else list it on a free site with his home phone number. Well he got action and one of the callers was a young woman that talked him into parting with cash guaranteeing him MORE listings on more sites for the money. He had to screen all his calls through an answering machine for months as additional scammers called.
    A wrong number in your scammed listing may have saved you some long term misery. Wonder whose number it is...

Larry

24. Gman0046

Gman0046

Another thing I do on my adds is include my cell phone number so if anyone is interested they can ask questions.

25. 66L-79

66L-79

I have had them contact me wanting to list a car on many different sites for a sum, I tell them go ahead and list the car if it sales I will pay you, but for some reason they do not want to do it that way wonder why, sounds like a good idea to me. If you sale I will pay, but once they get your money it does not matter to them if it sales or not.

Stogy likes this.
  26. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Recheck the "contract" and make sure you still don't owe them a fee or percentage, even though you sold it.

kbgreen likes this.
  27. I will be able to avoid this problem since I have decided to keep my old cars forever and just keep buying more. Yes it can be done. Just get rid of the wife...

afaulk likes this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had my Model A for sale through two online sites and a print publication (both free with photos even).
    I was called by one of these I'll sell your car guaranteed individual businesses. They got my # from either source not sure which as both were public. It always amazes me how they call and they talk as if you already bought into it without you even saying your interested...
    I first thought...sounded good but the old saying is if it sounds to good it probably means trouble...and secondly if it is a business a really good thing to do is type in their name and do a reviews search just on the good old web. Man the place that phoned me had several complaints logged and I was glad I held off on it.
    BBB is another good one to check for less than honest places. Buyer or seller beware...
    It is not much fun selling a car...In my case most who showed genuine interest did come to see it and were good people although as you see here on occasion some are not good. You have to trust your gut...
    Hope things work out from here on in for you.

29. classic gary

classic gary

I DID use the HAMB classifieds.