Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Brake line routing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WP38, Jan 7, 2016.

1. WP38

WP38

On the Wildwood proportion vale it can be used with two brake lines to the front and one to the back. Is there any advantage to placing two lines? I was thinking of one line 3/16 with a brass T fitting. I have drums on the back so am I correct 3/16 hard line too risidual 2 lb too a flex line on axel. T fitting on axel to 3/16 hard line to drums. Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

In many instances the oem's ran 2-3/16 lines to the front , if your valve is setup that way , I think that's what I 'd do .. Some oem's use 1/4 to the tee , others use 3/16 , I don't know what difference it makes...A residual valve w/the master on the firewall isn't needed IMO... I'd talk to the people who made your parts....
    dave

3. WP38

WP38

Thanks the valve can be used either with 2 or one line.. Simplest way 1 line. will check out the 2lb residual valve to hold pressure to rear drum brakes.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd think 1 line vs 2 lines factors in in how you can best run the lines. On a lot of rigs it isn't practical to run the line down to a T for the left wheel and then across the crossmember to the right wheel and you need the second line to take a better route.

5. oj

oj

I'd do it as wilwood spec'd, 2 lines to the front. When you have a problem and call them they won't have any 'wiggle' room.
    If you need a residual pressure valve in the rear drum brake circuit it should be 10#, if it were a disc brake then 2#.

6. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

I have always thought that residual valves were only necessary when the master cylinder was below the wheel cylinders (keeps fluid from draining back). With a firewall mounted M/C wouldn't gravity do the same thing?

7. von Dyck

von Dyck

Gravity only creates a problem if there is a leak in the system. 10# needed on rear drums. Get those drums as concentric as possible to prevent "jiggling" the wheel cylinder cups. Ditto for brake rotor runnout on the fronts.

8. WP38

WP38

Update just finished running lines. ran 1 line to front. . Now for the fun part bleeding the lines.
    Cross my fingers.

Attached Files:

9. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might want to rethink the plumbing on the rear axle. The hard line should always be routed behind the axle, to prevent any possibility of being pinched or crushed.
    Your drop line may not stay in that position and looks like it could come in contact with the shock. With drums, normal routing would have the rear supply line ending on the cross member and dropping near the axle pumpkin, keeping the hose short and away from the shocks.
    It's always a good idea to place the axle in the full jounce and rebound positions when plumbing brake and exhaust to check for any contact problems, and making sure the drop hose moves freely and does not kink

• [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  10. WP38

WP38

Thanks Bob, Easy fix at this point. I still have to weld the shock supports on.
    I don't have a cross suport close enough to run the flex line from a upper support . I guess I could rin a piece of angle accross.

11. oj

oj

When running brake lines I avoid bending the tube back up, like in pic #1815, you'll have an air pocket at the top of that one tube driving you nuts.

12. I'm running a CPP proportioning valve on my Ford. It has 2 ports going to the front, I used them both. Why second guess someone who MIGHT be smarter than me?

13. WP38

WP38

instructions state you can block of one. Only required if you want to rout the 2nd line a different way .
    I read the instructions then made my decission.

14. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Many drum braked passenger cars' master cylinders had residual pressure/check valves in the OEM master cylinder.

1962 Caddy - high mounted master cylinder.
    "A hydraulic check valve and spring are located in each of the outlet bosses."
    http://cadillac.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/1962/1962 Shop Manual/08-Brakes/image3.html
    http://cadillac.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/1962/1962 Shop Manual/08-Brakes/image12.html

Note One of the suspects when low pedal is encountered is the "residual check valve."
    http://cadillac.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/1962/1962 Shop Manual/08-Brakes/image20.html

===============
    Looks like '58 T-birds had one too.
    http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Ford/1958/Thunderbird/Shop Manual/image228.html

===========

This what I consider "typical" drum brakes, without an emergency brake.
    The shoes are nearly full floating, with the anchor pin and the adjuster both opposite the double ended hydraulic cylinder
    http://www.earlytimeschapter.org/wpimages/wp9a2eadef.jpg

Without a residual check valve at the MC, I'm not sure the return springs at the wheels could be prevented from compressing the wheel cylinders whenever the brakes are not applied, and pumping fluid thru the bypass port back into the MC reservoir.
    Then a bunch of brake pedal travel would be required to just get the shoes back into contact with the drum.
    ==================

The exception //might// be brakes with adjusting cams up by the wheel cylinders, which would limit how much the cylinders could be compressed.
    http://www.allworldwars.com/image/082/Armor50sPictorialDictionary-094.jpg

Although 39 - 42 Ford cars appear to have mechanical adjustments at BOTH ends of the shoes. (and a low mounted MC )
    http://www.btc-bci.com/~billben/brakeadj.html
    What then is "valve" part number 2178 here?
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29834&d=1290213832

15. bradshaw

bradshaw
    from ontario

A good read ,have to do the same ,but my master is under floor. Will be using residual valves front and back and the Wilwood proportion valve . I will likely only run one line to front, I read the same info from Wilwood.. Thanks guys

16. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The pictured duo-servo drum brake shoe-to-drum clearance is measured with the shoes centered, and is typically .025" to .030" TOTAL. That jpg is not correct.
    Drum shoes must rest against their anchors when released, not "float around". The residual(s) prevent air from entering the wheel cylinders during release. No way can they overcome the shoe return springs, or should.
    That #2178 part is a residual check valve.

17. rfraze

rfraze

18. WP38

WP38

Changed the rear brake line thanks all will add a couple more clips.

Attached Files:

19. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More better! :cool:

20. WP38

WP38

Thanks too you Bob great advice