Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead 8ba valve adjusting sequence

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by moskit, Jan 20, 2016.

1. moskit

moskit
    from London

Hi guys.
    Does any one know the right sequence (valve lift/cylinder) for adjusting valve lash? I don't want to keep the crank spinning to see which one is in bottom position.
    I use Johnson style adjustable lifters.
    Thank you

2. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

There are several methods. Post on the Ford Barn, there are many flathead experts there.

3. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

Rick is right on the ford barn, I think they have sequence in the tech section

4. khead47

khead47

I cant remember who posted it recently ( I believe he is in the UK ) but this guy is selling a device much like a degree wheel for setting FH valves. Bring #1 to TDC and attach the thing to the Dizzy and position a wire pointer. All markings for which valves to adjust are marked on the wheel. Anybody remember this post?

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. khead47

khead47

Well, I was close to the guys location. Hope your info helps the original poster.

7. moskit

moskit
    from London

Hi. I'm just going to make wheel in AutoCAD , laminate it and stick on to cam gear. Should do the same think, just the budget way of doing

8. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Take out the plugs and rotate by hand. As soon as any exhaust valve starts to open set the corresponding intake valve repeat for the next cylinder. Not that hard!

choppedtudor likes this.
  9. moskit

moskit
    from London

ok guys, as promised. print, laminate (or not) and tack it to the cam gear with superglue or bluetack or clay or what ever you fancy. Don`t forget to print in 1:1 scale. Check after print. Center hole is 50mm the ring it self is 150mm. This way you know it`s scaled as it should be.

Attached Files:

10. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

I started with the same idea, and at the end, I dlike to have an real looking tool¨

Thanks for sharing

11. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

without that tool, just turn the crank until the valve is full open, then turn the crank one more revolution to get the lifter on the heel of the cam. if you have holes in the lifter bores, it's an easier job using a drift to hold the lifter in place. otherwise, you have to use "lifter wrenches," which hold the lifter. very tedious and usually requires 3 hands!

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you don't have the holes, I saw a thread where a guy made a tool out of two short bolts and a coupling nut. He put it between the lifter wrench and the block to hold the wrench in place. He said it worked quite well.