Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest FLATHEAD CADILLAC, stick options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pete, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Pete

Pete

Been thinking about what to put my rebuilt flathead caddy motor in. Picked it up a few years ago, I was thinking maybe my '32 coupe or a '34 roadster??

I don't recall there being too many manual transmission bellhousing options out there, has that changed?

Is there anybody making a bellhousing that would accept a 4 or 5 speed?

I have a mustang world class 5 speed that I placed on the stock caddy bellhousing but there's just not enough surface area on the bell to re drill. The input shaft on the T 5 is the perfect length too, I wish it were 2 inches longer so I could make an adapter....

I may have to do what Zibo did and make one!

2. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Weld on some tabs and done! Gary

3. Pete

Pete

Yea.... Not a good idea with a cast bellhousing and the sheer weight of these motors.

4. 22 track

22 track

Stormtron likes this.

5. Pete

Pete

Well well..... Look at that......ive had my head in a hole, thanks for the link.

6. oldolds

oldolds

$895 for a bell housing. I remember when I didn't have that much money in a whole car with new paint and mag wheels! I have been accused of being thrifty person more than a few times! ;)

7. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe you can make an adapter out of 1/4 in steel plate....

8. Pete

Pete

Choptop.....

I could do that but it puts the input shaft too far from the pilot bushing on the crank.....I may be able to fly cut some meat off the bellhousing to make up the difference tho.

9. Pete

Pete

Called Bendtons today, the nice lady couldn't find any pics or info on the 346 manual transmission adapter??

Said she was going to ask the boss and get back to me..

10. 22 track

22 track

11. Pete

Pete

Those are the pics they sent me.... That is the automatic tranny adapter.

12. Pete

Pete

Wow, just re read the instructions for the automatic trans adapter..... That same kit does the manual trans as well. You stack the flywheels..... One right on top of the other!! And you need the stock hydro flywheel.

That seems a little iffy?

13. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

It would seem iffy to me.Is it possible to plug the exiting trans mount holes in the bellhousing and redrill them to accept the trans you want to use? I have done this on a tractor once and numerous HD Knucklehead cylinder heads, It works just fine. Get 4 grade 5 bolts that fit the holes in the bellhousing,apply red loctite,use a sharp prick punch and stake the top few threads at 4 points 90 degrees apart, this will distort the threads enough that they will stay put.screw the bolts into the holes until they are flush on the inside(or if the hole is blind pull then in tight) cut the heads off,level them with the surface and the next day drill and tap your holes.This really does work,never had it fail.If you have a lathe you can take a piece of something like 0-1 annealed round stock,turn it to size and thread it until you have a light interference thread fit and use it the same way.

14. If I remember right a few years back someone on here welded up his own bell housing for one of the flat head Cads.

15. Pete

Pete

This was my original intent, unfortunately the ears on the transmission stick beyond the surface of the bell housing.

16. Pete

Pete

That was Zibo.... I watched his build thread, I may have to do the same thing.... I really want a five speed because I plan on driving the car to El mirage.

17. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I used a ford fe bellhousing flywheel and made an adapter out of 1/2 steel I used a toploader 3 speed ford Trans out of a 57 ford truck in my dragster and we just put a powerglide in the flatcad bonneville car

18. Pete

Pete

image.jpeg image.jpeg I just left Belmonts Rod & Custom with this old drag race scatter shield , perfect diameter with plenty of deck surface for any transmission.

Attached Files:

wheeldog57 likes this.
  19. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Ole Billy has a lot of neat stuff down in the basement

20. Pete

Pete

His dark dirty basement!

21. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

No doubt you can make work. Good get kid!