Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford V8 trans ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Brown Sound, Oct 26, 2015.

1. The Brown Sound

The Brown Sound
    from Maryland

I'm going to check out a Model A frame this week, and the guy also has this transmission. Doesn't know a whole lot about it but says it's for a flathead V8. Anyone know what it is? And if it's worth $100?

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1445887838.225093.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1445887847.560740.jpg

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I'll post the ID thread for you. Case is 1935 up at least, and can be exactly dated by serial right above the hole in upper bell housing area. Gears look 1936-38-39 type at my first glance. Since everything interchanges, you need to date each area rather than assuming gears and case are same age.

Identification info is scattered through this post: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/39-ford-transmission-prices.91515/

The Brown Sound likes this.
  3. The Brown Sound

The Brown Sound
    from Maryland

Thanks, just what I was looking for!

4. Stand that sincro hub on edge and load a photo of it. Is there a shifter top with it? A photo of that would help also. The arm for clutch rod looks very close to a 39 arm.
    The Wizzard

5. 42merc

42merc

Syncro says it's a '36 early '39 gearset.

6. The Brown Sound

The Brown Sound
    from Maryland

No shift tower with it. Those are the only photos I've got.

Thanks for all the input. I'm mostly just wanting to ensure it's not the V8-60 trans.

How hard is it to run an 11" clutch with one of these cases, does it just require a spacer or does it just bolt right up?

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It should fit with an 11" long. See how the first inch of bell goes straight back before the taper? That straight are was put in the casting for 1935, when Ford first used the 11" in some applications. The earlier casting used '32-4 had interference points in there. 11" drilled flywheels are common for both '32-48 and '49-53 flatheads, but you need one matching the year group of the engine you use. Look for flathead wheels with holes for pressure plate out near the edge.

8. The Brown Sound

The Brown Sound
    from Maryland

Yep, I see it now. Thanks for the detailed explanation! I'm thinking this box should do the trick.

9. The Brown Sound

The Brown Sound
    from Maryland

Here's a question: am I able to drop these internals into an A case? I'd like to keep the synchros, but procuring a banger-to-V8 adaptor is going to eff up the old budget.

10. Internals will NOT go into an A case. The will go right into a B case. If you go to the B case without additional aftermarket adapters you lose the mount for the brake and clutch pedals as well as the wishbone mount.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  11. The Brown Sound

The Brown Sound
    from Maryland

Thanks!