Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Y Block Transmission Swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bugattiray, Jan 19, 2016.

1. bugattiray

bugattiray

I am currently building a 1930 Model A coupe. I'm looking at a 292 Y block to power the hotrod.
    I would like to put a 4 or 5 speed transmission in (stick). I'm wondering what my options would be?
    Thanks,
    Ray

2. If you're looking for a bolt-together deal with all OEM parts, you want a y-block passenger car clutch/bellhousing setup and any 62-64 Ford small-pattern 4-speed. You can machine/modify the bell and/or the trans to use the later Ford 4-speeds. There's also aftermarket bells and/or adaptors for using T5 5-speeds sourced from various late cars and small trucks. It really depends on the parts you have or need to get and how much you want to spend....

The T5 setups are popular, relatively cheap and easy to get, and sturdy enough in a light car to take some beating. Do a web search for 'Y-block T5', you'll get lots of hits and links.

3. sunbeam

sunbeam

This setup works great A Modern Drive Line adapter from Caldwell Idaho and a Mustang T5

4. Retro61

Retro61

Look up John Mummert on the web! He has what you need. I've got one of his adapters behind my 312, with a '91 Mustang T-5.